How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-22-2012, 07:46 PM

Registered SVX
Question SVX & gps today, 4,22 20121

Have never considered a gps for my SVX, the time has come to do it. What are the considerations beyond the titanium oxide coated windshield? How much does it matter if the windshield is over 20 years old?

1. Best gps?

2. Do I need a trunk mounted antenna?

3. Does power from the cig lighter extend the hours of use?

4. Yes, I don't know Jack, met John several happy, good chap

5. Will request further help after a later pint...

6. This should be a, yeah..
Old 04-22-2012, 07:55 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Re: SVX & gps today, 4,22 20121

TiOx Window - Any GPS I've used in the SVX, has taken longer to get the initial signal (1 minute instead of 15 seconds) but once it gets the satellite signals it maintains an accurate position. So you don't need a trunk mounted antenna

Which GPS - In my opinion the key features are; Big Screen, Free Lifetime map updates.

Power - Yeah, most battery's are only for a few hours. Generally I just always use the power cord.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:06 PM

Registered SVX
Smile Re: SVX & gps today, 4,22 20121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
TiOx Window - Any GPS I've used in the SVX, has taken longer to get the initial signal (1 minute instead of 15 seconds) but once it gets the satellite signals it maintains an accurate position. So you don't need a trunk mounted antenna

Which GPS - In my opinion the key features are; Big Screen, Free Lifetime map updates.

Power - Yeah, most battery's are only for a few hours. Generally I just always use the power cord.
Thanks Hocrest. For 2012, define "big screen". One minute is way fast for where I will be, the Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Montana big spaces neighborhood, whose in a hurry land?
Old 04-22-2012, 08:31 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
You mean TiO2. (I am a chemist :P)

I cannot comment on the other questions, but I have used a GPS in my black SVX without issues from the windshield.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 04-22-2012, 08:47 PM

dromano: Have never considered a gps for my SVX, the time has come to do it. What are the considerations beyond the titanium oxide coated windshield? How much does it matter if the windshield is over 20 years old?

1. Best gps? Garmin works great for me. Hardly affected at all with the windshield. The one I had origionally, Megellen, I had to hold out the window to get satellites.

2. Do I need a trunk mounted antenna? NO

3. Does power from the cig lighter extend the hours of use? Definitely need it to be plugged in to the lighter if you are spending much time on the road..

I have a Garmin and bought the lifetime map up-dates for it. I also have the http://www.phantomalert.com/ that audibly warns me of any speed traps, speed cameras, school zones, red light cameras, that are ahead...all kinds of stuff!

I tried it mounted in several different places, but for me just to the left of the rear view mirror with the suction cup, and down a tiny bit works best. I see no advantage in having to look down instead of ahead at the road and traffic. So... all those things combined are very efficient additions to my driving safety.

One thing really I miss about the Megellen... When I reached my destination, a nice soft girl voice would always say, "You have arrived" I seriously miss that. No one ever told me that before!!

Hope this helps!

Keith

Last edited by kwren; 04-22-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:58 PM

I tried the "Big screen" and took it back to Costco.I am talking about ther real one Garmin came out with. Might be fine with a moterhome with a great big windshield and it would be mounted farther away from your view.

The big screen blocks way too much of the windshield and if you install it below the windshield, for me looking down is always a no-no. One glance down puts you "way too many feet" from where you were the last time you saw where you were on the road.

Up beside the mirror lets you watch the road and the GPS at the same time.

Keith
Old 04-22-2012, 11:07 PM
SVX Addict

Send a message via MSN to BRADY Send a message via Skype™ to BRADY
Registered SVX

I use my Nokia phone. It has free updates for life, uses Assisted GPS to lock signal and has turn by turn navigation.

Nokia now sell this program and their 3D maps to many other third party companies.
1992 SVX Mica Red/Black (Ruby Pearl) (ADM)- 290,000 kms. With Koni adjustable front shocks, THRICE o/hauled 4EAT with transmission cooler and now the 'QUICK CHANGE' unit, custom PWR aluminium radiator, replacement water pump, fuel pump, crank pulley, Pioneer 6 x 9 rear and 6 inch front speakers, Sony Head unit, rattles from the front end and steering, front DBA slotted rotors. Blown heater core, ruined CV joints, new car park damage. FOR SALE... www.thebeatleboys.com
Old 04-23-2012, 06:05 AM

Registered SVX

Magellan GPS I needed the external antenna. I have used 3 different Garmin and no issues. I don't do up grades, I buy a new one every 3 years or so. Technology gets better every few years. I up grade the whole system that way. Upgrade gives you recent gas station, hotel, store name changes and locations. Roads stay basically in the same place. I have mine mounted all the way to the left of my windshield , tucked in the corner next to the pillar.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:02 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

Quote:
Unless you plan on driving between high rise buildings
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 04-23-2012, 09:56 AM

Registered SVX

how is your radio? i put a double din dvd player with navigation in mine and it works great. screen is over six inches and it's a touchscreen so it takes little effort or time while driving. i bought a cheapo jensen unit after having my rca unit (expensive top of the line) last about a year. the whole unit with navigation was around $350. if your radio is ready to be replaced it might be time to just get in dash navigation, then you could also have the other bonuses like backup cameras, bluetooth to your phone, and bluetooth music streaming.
1956 Plymouth Belvedere - Daisy
1967 Chevy C20
1953 Chevy 210
1969 Plymouth Satellite
1949 Chevy Thriftmaster
1959 Chevy Apache
1951 Chevy Stepside
1969 Chevy Camper Special
1978 Ford F150 w/ stroked 460
1986 Volvo 740 turbo wagon
1999 GMC 2500 Creep Van
1994 Impreza Outback
Old 04-23-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92snowmachine View Post
how is your radio? i put a double din dvd player with navigation in mine and it works great. screen is over six inches and it's a touchscreen so it takes little effort or time while driving. i bought a cheapo jensen unit after having my rca unit (expensive top of the line) last about a year. the whole unit with navigation was around $350. if your radio is ready to be replaced it might be time to just get in dash navigation, then you could also have the other bonuses like backup cameras, bluetooth to your phone, and bluetooth music streaming.
+1

I put a JVC dual din touchscreen NAV radio in mine too. Works very well. No issues with the antenna numb sitting on the dash under the windshield, it gets immediate satellite connection every time.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:18 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
dromano: Have never considered a gps for my SVX, the time has come to do it. What are the considerations beyond the titanium oxide coated windshield? How much does it matter if the windshield is over 20 years old?

1. Best gps? Garmin works great for me. Hardly affected at all with the windshield. The one I had origionally, Megellen, I had to hold out the window to get satellites.

2. Do I need a trunk mounted antenna? NO

3. Does power from the cig lighter extend the hours of use? Definitely need it to be plugged in to the lighter if you are spending much time on the road..

I have a Garmin and bought the lifetime map up-dates for it. I also have the http://www.phantomalert.com/ that audibly warns me of any speed traps, speed cameras, school zones, red light cameras, that are ahead...all kinds of stuff!

I tried it mounted in several different places, but for me just to the left of the rear view mirror with the suction cup, and down a tiny bit works best. I see no advantage in having to look down instead of ahead at the road and traffic. So... all those things combined are very efficient additions to my driving safety.

One thing really I miss about the Megellen... When I reached my destination, a nice soft girl voice would always say, "You have arrived" I seriously miss that. No one ever told me that before!!

Hope this helps!

Keith
Kwren, thank you very much.....
Old 04-23-2012, 06:20 PM

Registered SVX

I pulled the trigger on a Garmin nuvi 1690 refurb by Garmin, direct from Garmin $94 delivered, $60 a year after 2 free years?????????????
Old 04-23-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dromano View Post
I pulled the trigger on a Garmin nuvi 1690 refurb by Garmin, direct from Garmin $94 delivered, $60 a year after 2 free years?????????????
Good choice... Now... never turn the headlight switch off on your SVX, they always go off when they are supposed to (when the engine is turned off, and remember how many feetyour car will go each second you are watching Garmin. Be safe!

You are welcome!

Keith
Old 04-23-2012, 06:51 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Good choice... Now... never turn the headlight switch off on your SVX, they always go off when they are supposed to (when the engine is turned off, and remember how many feetyour car will go each second you are watching Garmin. Be safe!

You are welcome!

Keith
Thanks, I will limit looks to straight stretches or at very low speeds......