Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2002, 08:32 PM

Registered SVX
Free Expert Advice.

It is all very well to dream but in many threads I see dreamers dreams taking too much of the time of practical experts, who have been there and done that, without there being a genuine reason for the respective enquiry. What is more they are often subject to mindless argument. Debate among experts is another thing.

This comment is in no way intended to be derogatory in respect of any person or post but I feel it has to be stated as we could otherwise lose much expert advice and opinion and It could well be that this is already happening.

Expert time and knowledge is freely given but the experience made available has not been freely earned and it is only fair that advice should be sort with honest intent. It is not difficult as a thread develops to sort out dreamers from the genuine.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 09-14-2002 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-14-2002, 09:05 PM
Ca$h

I totally know what you're talking about. EX: A 17 yr old who buys a car and immeadiatly plans to supercharge it, what would he need to do to get it supercharged? Meh. He probably won't. Chances are if someoen has enough money for a SCer that they'll also have enough money to install it right.

- Ca$h
Old 09-14-2002, 09:28 PM
Hater

i remember when i got my first car. i had two 12" guitar speakers that i was going to build this amazing soundsystem with. didn't know much about frequency response, bandwidth, or enclosure design then - but i thought it was pretty cool

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 09-14-2002, 09:39 PM
not just a fan, a Member!

dude......

dang, now i felt bad for posting that question about modding my car....
i'm no expert in the subject, but my out going celica(replacing with svx) was my first effort to try to get accquainted with the subject....
anyways, i still hope ppl give me some advice... whether if i follow through? i guess y'all will just have to find out hehe
Old 09-14-2002, 09:49 PM
Hater

don't feel bad, just start with the basics of getting it running right first. most used cars are gonna need some maintenance or have some issues. get it running like a champ, then Rice-a-rama!!! just kidding!

Old 09-14-2002, 10:50 PM

haha.... i thought svx owners would be the one group of import owners farthest away from ricing cars.... if i wanted to rice cars, i would have started off with hondas....

as with my out going 92 celica, my goal is always to build classy, unassuming cars that would smoke civics and integras...

isn't it a nice feeling when you breeze past civics with thousands of dollars into bodykits and paint jobs but still has a stock exhaust?
Old 09-15-2002, 04:36 AM
Hater

its also nice to know that you don't NEED to buy body kits because your car looks good from the factory.

Old 09-15-2002, 11:29 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Trevor,

I am a Mech. Eng'r. and agree with you up to a point. However, we should never discourage the dreamers. One woman gave us white out fluid. Another guy had not so good paste and today we are inundated by little yellow (sorry Randy) pos-it notes. Jack Kenedy had a dream, to put men on the moon and get them back safely. Someone in the US EPA had a dream to get reduce pollution from autos. It took a lot of hard work and sweat but we are getting there.
In Dec. '99 I had a dream of seeing SVXes as far as the eye could see.
In July '02 we fell a bit short but it was still great.

So please don't discourage the dreamers. Lots of times the dreamers don't really understand the problems standing between them and their goal, find novel solutions.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 09-15-2002, 12:03 PM
Ca$h

Quote:
Originally posted by subafan
as with my out going 92 celica, my goal is always to build classy, unassuming cars that would smoke civics and integras...

isn't it a nice feeling when you breeze past civics with thousands of dollars into bodykits and paint jobs but still has a stock exhaust?
Hehehe. Hell yeah. Have any pics of your celica? I used to roast rice in this:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...a/fd540dc4.jpg

Integras are so over-rated.

- Ca$h
Old 09-15-2002, 02:06 PM

We all started out at some time as newbies. New folks don't have the benefit of all the posts in the past and knowledge of our senior members. I learn from this site everyday because I check it out everyday, its great. One of the first thing I learned is there are previous posts that answer a lot of my questions without having to post new, old questions. Another thing is to add to the knowledge base as much as I can. But as my little grey man states every time I log on, I'm not worthy yet.
04 VW Beetle GLS
Old 09-15-2002, 02:14 PM

no pictures of the celica yet.... but i am going to take some soon... once I get it washed and prepped and ready for sale on ebay.... will keep you posted tho...

btw, i like your neon man.... in fact i like neons in general... whenever i drive back to madison from chicago, i see the neon plant somewhere on 90 or 39... i think to myself, so that's where they buid it....

situation:

"hey, there's a black neon behind us... what're we gonna do?"
"lets smoke him with our automatic 98 civic dx man..."
"yeah man, with the new ground effects i got, and my triple layer of glossy paint AND my steel wing, i have maximum utilization to all 200 of my hp!"
"what? you have 200 hp in your dx?"
"well, that's what the sticker on my rear window says.... and he doesn't know if i have 200 hp right?"
"yeah... but he's right besides us now.... nooo, he's pulling away...."
"noooooo........!!!"
Old 09-15-2002, 02:34 PM
Ca$h

Heh. I like em too. Clean design, good drivetrain. Crap interior, but hey. I've smoked a 3000gt (non vr4, tons of civics, every cavalier I've raced, and a few integras including a GSR. The guy with the GSR didn't know how to drive though, otherwise he shoulda been faster than me. >shrug< Either that or it was just another ricer pretending he had a better car by swapping badges.)

So do you trust selling your car on ebay? :|

- Ca$h
Old 09-15-2002, 08:02 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
Trevor,

So please don't discourage the dreamers. Lots of times the dreamers don't really understand the problems standing between them and their goal, find novel solutions.
Dreaming is the easy part, Larry. Innovation on paper, while admirable, is just mental vapor until the supply of M-O-N-E-Y is introduced. Even JFK didn't have enough family jewels to launch a moonshot, so he borrowed some small change from you & I. I believe Trevor's intent is to point out that soooo many, usually younger folks, will scrape together enough dough to purchase an XXXX (SVX, house, boat, etc.), & immediately want to mod it, very cheaply of course. It simply ain't gonna happen. Oh, yeah - break out them little plastic cards! Now the cycle begins.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 09-15-2002, 08:55 PM
Hater

i could turn my SVX into a hovercraft, if i had the time and money. you could make an SVX with 1000hp, indestructable transmission, wheel bearings that never need replaced, and headlights made of crystal, and all it will take is $$$$. lots of it.

Old 09-15-2002, 09:20 PM

selling car on ebay.....
hmm... well since i'm so busy right now, there's no possible way that i can arrange for shipping of the car, so whoever bought the car would have to come and pick it up... and when they do,they'd better have my money.... i am, however, scared that ppl will just back out of the 'binding bidding contract' and leave me hangin with by ebay fees....

any other suggestions as to how i can sell my celica around madison? i thought about just selling them to the dealers, but one dude was like no matter how clean the car is, he'll never give me more or close to 3gs for it.... i need the money to help pay for the svx i just bought...... off ebay.....