Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2012, 10:58 AM

Registered SVX
Traction project

The traction project has begun on my Toy,

The 4.444 ACT-4 tranny will be replaced by a JDM VTD setup with the stock 3.7 gearing. Hopefully the SVX torque converter will also lower my stall speed (now 3200rpm, I trust this is from a 1997 Outback). The tranny should be on its way sailing from Houston towards Finland shortly .

I bought an open 3.7 rear diff and a Quaife Torsen carrier for it. New bearings, seals and O-rings and I'll be able to put it together. The gears look very good, also the open differential looks like new, so it should be good. I will not touch the pinion at this time.

For the front I bought an Australian torque sensing diff made by Modena. Works exactly like a "true" Torsen. Both are in the attached photo.

The TCU will be based on JDM firmware, but with custom mapping to suit my turbo engine characteristics.

Sticky tires for the 2008 Sti wheels and then I should have no more traction issues . Should be fun in the snow too.

It will be two months before I receive the tranny so this is just a start.

Tapani
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04012012108.jpg (662.9 KB, 443 views)
Old 01-04-2012, 11:56 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Traction project

Is the rear diff an R180 or R160?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 01-04-2012, 12:03 PM

Registered SVX

Hi,

It is an R160 - I don't think a 3.7 geared R180 was ever available. The smaller one should be plenty strong - especially w/o the spider gear shaft issue. The Datsun 510 crowd run quite powerful engines thru this in RWD set ups.

Br,

Tapani

Last edited by Tapani; 01-04-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:53 PM

Registered SVX

Sounds like a plan man. Any particular reason you decided to stay automatic instead of doing a manual swap?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 01-04-2012, 08:44 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post
Hi,

It is an R160 - I don't think a 3.7 geared R180 was ever available. The smaller one should be plenty strong - especially w/o the spider gear shaft issue. The Datsun 510 crowd run quite powerful engines thru this in RWD set ups.

Br,

Tapani
I believe the older Z car series had a 3.7 R180
Old 01-04-2012, 09:27 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Any particular reason you decided to stay automatic instead of doing a manual swap?
Yes - I really like the automatics

Maybe I'm just too lazy.... , I drive a lot and the SVX is an old skool GT, not a real sports car .

Tapani
Old 01-04-2012, 09:28 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
I believe the older Z car series had a 3.7 R180
Ok, thanks. Didn't know that. But finding one here would have been difficult.

Tapani
Old 01-04-2012, 10:41 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post
Yes - I really like the automatics

Maybe I'm just too lazy.... , I drive a lot and the SVX is an old skool GT, not a real sports car .
I think my blue car would take offense to that

Well, your auto will certainly be one to be reckoned with.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:48 AM

Registered SVX

Progress

The rear diff is done too, I need to get another type of a dial indicator to check the front back lash thru the drain plug hole prior to final assembly.

The Modena front diff fits the Phase 1 tranny w/o issues.

Tapani
Attached Images
File Type: jpg modena.jpg (204.0 KB, 334 views)
Old 03-13-2012, 12:20 PM

Registered SVX

Like a gynecologist.... the backlash is set to 0.13mm thru the drain plug

I made a tool for the side bearing adjustment from a non-Subaru size oil filter tool.

Also checked the tooth contact pattern on the rear diff - looks very good, in the center and slightly shifted toward the toe under no load. Have to do this for the front too - later.

Br,

Tapani
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thru the hole.jpg (231.2 KB, 354 views)
File Type: jpg tool.jpg (199.3 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg rear contact.jpg (192.8 KB, 332 views)
Old 03-13-2012, 01:07 PM

Registered SVX

I have a curiousity. I am familiar with how anti-backlash gears work in the intake cam gears, but I don't get what you mean by setting the backlash in the diff. I am kind of starting to wish I had an extra broken trans to take apart to see how it works...

That's funny because I do have and extra broken trans.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:45 PM

Registered SVX

Well, there must be a backlash between the pinion and the ring gear. 0.13-0.18mm measured at the tip of the crown wheel teeth. This is set by moving the diff carrier from one side to the other by adjusting the position of the side bearings. On the front diff it's kinda funny because it is fully closed when the diff casing is installed on the tranny. Measurement must be done thru the drain plug hole - not very easy.

You also need to set the preload of the bearings - both carrier and the pinion - and set the pinion depth to achieve correct tooth contact pattern.

See the manual .

Tapani
Old 03-24-2012, 10:44 AM

Registered SVX

A little progress.... the old tranny is out

I take my hat off for you guys who do this alone on the drive way w/o a lift and a tranny jack. I made an adapter so the tranny can be bolted to the jack... not pretty, but solid

Kind regards from Finland,

Tapani
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4ACT on jack.jpg (373.5 KB, 315 views)
Old 03-25-2012, 08:47 AM

Registered SVX

Tranny swapped, still waiting for the rear support parts.

I took the rear diff down - the 4.444 has an lsd in it (three sets of splines inside), though it doesn't work.

That means that the RH inner CV joint has the long nose.

Is it possible to just swap the joint for an Outback one? No SVXs around to cannibalize the LH....

Has anyone ever cut the nose off and machined a groove for the C clip...? It appears to be in a wrong axial location to be used in the Torsen. Should symmetrical to the LD side.

Tapani
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear drive shafts.jpg (134.5 KB, 446 views)
Old 04-21-2012, 01:38 AM

Registered SVX

Woohoo, the SVX moves on its own power again !

I cut the RH axle to fit the Torsen, swapped the larger SVX driveshaft flange to the 3.7 rear end, replaced the U-joints in the drive shaft and had it balanced.

The only thing still missing are the tranny rear supports.... the tail section rests against the X-member on a jack pad. Drove just a little around to check that the tranny does function (55kmiles claimed, 1995/6 JDM). So far so good. Nice shifts up to third, the stall speed is much lower than with the OB converter, immediate engagement to both R and D.

And yes, the VTD IS rear biased - with the torsen both rear wheels dig in the gravel first .

I hope the rear support arrives next week.

Br,

Tapani