SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
Where to buy this hood scoop?

Hey guys. I haven't posted in a while now but I figured I'd get back into fixing up my SVX instead of buying a truck or something.

I'm planning on getting a new suspension, radiator, hood and some other things but I'd like to get a fiberglass hood from class glass and I need to find the scoop I want to have glassed in.

My old hood literally FLEW off of my car so I stomped it back into shape(mostly) and need a new one.

Here's basically what I'm looking for:

I want the scoop like this..

And I found this but don't know if it would produce the end result I'm after..

Finding a hood like that is easy if you go to Dayle's website but I want just the scoop.. Any help is appreciated as always..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 02-28-2011, 12:14 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Where to buy this hood scoop?

the issue with those scoops are is that they are not metal and when both will get hot or cold they will expand and shrink at different temperatures so if you plan to graph it to the hood over time it will separate, ( my friend and i had a huge discussion on a FG cowl for his 87 monte) if you plan on getting that duraflex best go with a fg hood.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:16 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Yeah fg is the plan. I appreciate the advice cause I'd be mad as hell if my scoop just popped off one day.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 03-01-2011, 08:20 PM

Double post.

Last edited by httrdd; 03-01-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:21 PM

A standard Legacy GT scoop should work for ya. I will see if I can locate one for you. You will have to cut into your hood to install it, but I have a write up for you. It will also help decrease under the hood temps.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by httrdd View Post
A standard Legacy GT scoop should work for ya. I will see if I can locate one for you. You will have to cut into your hood to install it, but I have a write up for you. It will also help decrease under the hood temps.

You have no idea how much I'd appreciate it. The thing is though, I'm going to have a company called Class Glass just glass it in for me so I was looking for a fiberglass one.

Would one straight off the hood of a 99' Legacy GT work if they are putting it in for me?

Btw, its going on a fiberglass hood that I don't own and doesn't exist yet.

Last edited by Freeman; 03-01-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:42 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
You have no idea how much I'd appreciate it. The thing is though, I'm going to have a company called Class Glass just glass it in for me so I was looking for a fiberglass one.

Would one straight off the hood of a 99' Legacy GT work if they are putting it in for me?

Btw, its going on a fiberglass hood that I don't own and doesn't exist yet.
lol, well if they can get the lgt hood scoop that's metal, just weld it onto the stock hood
Old 03-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

That would be good but I don't have a stock hood anymore.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
That would be good but I don't have a stock hood anymore.
Brett,
If you're going to Reading, I can bring a nice pearlie hood out for you, swap them and i'll drive back with the smashed one...
I gotta make sure that hood is in the same shape as when I left it as it's out in a storage container at the shop...

Unless you're set on getting the FG hood. I know OT has been asking about my hood for you for a very long time but I've been unable to bring it out there on my couple of trips...
Old 03-02-2011, 07:26 PM

Not sure of the cut in process to a svx hood with a lgt scoop, but I will locate one just incase. Also a wrx scoop would look nice although I am not sure if you want that look.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Brett,
If you're going to Reading, I can bring a nice pearlie hood out for you, swap them and i'll drive back with the smashed one...
I gotta make sure that hood is in the same shape as when I left it as it's out in a storage container at the shop...

Unless you're set on getting the FG hood. I know OT has been asking about my hood for you for a very long time but I've been unable to bring it out there on my couple of trips...
Now that I have the money I'm kind of set on the fg hood. I really appreciate the offer though but I'm still not 100% sure I'm going to reading or not yet anyway.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by httrdd View Post
Not sure of the cut in process to a svx hood with a lgt scoop, but I will locate one just incase. Also a wrx scoop would look nice although I am not sure if you want that look.
I really like the subtlety of the lgt scoop but like the aggressiveness of the WRX scoop and I think I'm settled on the lgt one which is unfortunate because the WRX style ones are a dime a dozen and it seems like the lgt ones don't even exist. Id appreciate any help you could give.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Third post in a row.. Oh boy..

Well I found another scoop but it's made out of something called FRP (Fiber Reinforced Plastic) Composite and I'm a little afraid it will sag or droop when heated which is the reason I'm trying to avoid the Duraflex scoop.

I don't want my hood to end up like this:

Duraflex scoop = sag in the heat:

Here is the FRP Composite scoop:

And here is a link to the scoop: http://www.yourhotcar.com/prod/AIT_R...SCOOP5/620390/

Anybody have some advice for me? Like what should I get here? Would the FRP one sag like the Duraflex in extreme heat?

Last edited by Freeman; 03-03-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

4th..

Anybody think this looks a little off?

Like, is the front piece too close to the top?

Old 03-14-2011, 10:18 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

checked by today they have made the scoop look better and fixed the issue with the droop and it doesn't look like it did... I'll post pics soon