SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-26-2011, 10:17 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Big news! Got handed down a '97

So my father-in-law bought this car for his son toward the end of '97. He just got into college. Thirteen years later the father lives with me and his daughter and the son just got a job as a intensive care pediatrician. He bought a 2011 Sonata Turbo a couple months ago when the water pump in his SVX decided to seize up, leaving him stuck for the first time. The SVX has been sitting at the Hyundai dealership until Monday when it was shipped down to me, the other SVX owner of the family. Arrived yesterday, fixed this morning, and already sitting in the driveway. Just need to get it registered and it's good to go. It has 120,000 miles, needs paint, the buzzing exhaust heatshields removed, and the little thingy that holds the seatbelt over the driver's shoulder and that's it. Seems to be 100% other than that.

Seems like there's not much talk about the '96 and '97 cars, so what's up with them? Any changes I can look forward to since my '94? What's the deal with OBDII? And the SVX badges on the panels under the rear side windows?

Needless to say, I am delighted. I'll try and get some pics tomorrow. There are some older pics in the album linked in my sig though.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album

Last edited by icingdeath88; 01-26-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:37 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Big news! Got handed down a '97

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
So my father-in-law bought this car for his son toward the end of '97. He just got into college. Thirteen years later the father lives with me and his daughter and the son just got a job as a intensive care pediatrician. He bought a 2011 Sonata Turbo a couple months ago when the water pump in his SVX decided to seize up, leaving him stuck for the first time. The SVX has been sitting at the Hyundai dealership until Monday when it was shipped down to me, the other SVX owner of the family. Arrived yesterday, fixed this morning, and already sitting in the driveway. Just need to get it registered and it's good to go. It has 120,000 miles, needs paint, the buzzing exhaust heatshields removed, and the little thingy that holds the seatbelt over the driver's shoulder and that's it. Seems to be 100% other than that.

Seems like there's not much talk about the '96 and '97 cars, so what's up with them? Any changes I can look forward to since my '94? What's the deal with OBDII? And the SVX badges on the panels under the rear side windows?

Needless to say, I am delighted. I'll try and get some pics tomorrow. There are some older pics in the album linked in my sig though.
Wow, nice. I see some paint chipping all around but otherwise very nice shape.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:58 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Congrats.
I just got a '97 about 3 weeks ago.

What's the deal with OBDII?
You can read the check engine codes with a code reader. There's a little access panel below the steering wheel to the right.
None of the EcuTune chips will work on the '96 and '97 unfortunately. Also there is no POWER light on the dash when power mode is engaged.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:06 AM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Congratulations! Looks pretty nice.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 01-27-2011, 10:13 AM

Registered SVX

Thanks, guys. It really is in good shape compared to my $800 blue car. I always thought that it wasn't but I guess it was just the soda cans all over the floor that threw me.

The paint's gotten worse since those pictures were taken though. The spoiler's almost nekkid now lol.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 02-03-2011, 12:54 PM

Registered SVX

Nice! I've got the same thing with 95k on it. I've been wondering about doing the same power or sport mode hook up as well. Lemme know how your works out...
Old 02-03-2011, 06:59 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
Nice! I've got the same thing with 95k on it. I've been wondering about doing the same power or sport mode hook up as well. Lemme know how your works out...
I actually did the power mode mod to it like a year ago when I visited my bro in law. Works fine. I had it on my white car as well. By far the most cost-effective mod for this car ever. Much quicker access to the car's power. It will feel tangibly quicker in everyday driving.