Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 12-20-2010, 09:31 PM

4.11 VTD tranny swap video

Ok all, here's a video of me doing a run after the 4.11 swap.

Now, I still consider the swap a success, but it's not all sunshine and lollipops at the moment. If you watch the video, it will explain everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFW4sx3excs

Any ideas, let me have them!

Thank you!

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 12-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: 4.11 VTD tranny swap video

Man that thing shifts quick, although I haven't even been in my SVX for a month or more, and it's been quite a bit longer since I stomped on it at all, so my memory may be a bit hazy.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 12-20-2010, 11:01 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

That sucks man. At least my car is predictable (only 2nd gear and reverse), lol. That's just weird.

What TCU are you using?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 12-20-2010, 11:27 PM

Yeah, it shifts way quicker than before. I'm running the ECUtune valvebody upgrade though, as well as his TCU upgrade.

The TCU is in fact a JDM SVX unit that I scored off of ron (needforspeed). I have othe tcu from the wrx that the tranny came fromn, but per the advice of LAN and a few others, I'm running the SVX unit instead.

Do the JDM svx's have the dropping resistor wired the same way as the usdm units? That's one thing that's crossed my mind.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:23 PM

Yeah so I feel...what's the word? Oh yeah, retarded. I feel retarded.

I just realized this morning that I used the TCU from the WRX instead of the TCU that I had ECUtune burn me. That would probably explain the "having no idea when to shift" thing, since the wrx would have used a cable speedo, and therefore the TCU wouldn't have the same capabilities as ours.

I suspect that's the problem. I'll get around to it tonight and then make another video.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:28 PM

Registered SVX

Yea that would probably do it.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 12-23-2010, 06:45 PM

Turns out it DID fix it. Imagine that, running the right parts will make it do what it should. Crazy idea, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d27_QwlZk2Q

Old 12-24-2010, 07:43 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

It has an ECUtune valve body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Man that thing shifts quick, although I haven't even been in my SVX for a month or more, and it's been quite a bit longer since I stomped on it at all, so my memory may be a bit hazy.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:00 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Geoff Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff
Registered SVX

Do a writeup, Nevin. Very interested in doing something like this later.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:39 AM

Geoff, there is a more thorough explanation in another thread I started.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56203

Old 12-24-2010, 02:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

Nevin, job well done, congrats! After viewing your youtube video I noticed what appeared to be a check engine light/stop lamp light, light up...any ideas as to what is causing this? Couple of additional questions

1) Do we have any indication that this particular tranny is any more durable than a stock svx transmission?

2) I am bit confused as to what mounts were the issue...was it the 4.11 transmission or the differential? Does the 4.11 transmission use stock svx mounts?
Old 12-24-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
Nevin, job well done, congrats! After viewing your youtube video I noticed what appeared to be a check engine light/stop lamp light, light up...any ideas as to what is causing this? Couple of additional questions

Yep, that's the stop lamp. That's what happens when you run LED bulbs.

1) Do we have any indication that this particular tranny is any more durable than a stock svx transmission?

I have been told by those "in the know" that it IS in fact more durable than a stock svx tranny. I'm told it's among the most durable of automatics ever built by subaru. Since it was desinged for turbo duty (a la wrx), it was gifted with stronger clutch packs as well as a gear type center differential. Since I also decided to upgrade the valve body, I don't think it's power holding/durability will be something I'll have to question. But you never know what could happen! However, not having taken it apart, I can't compare it directly to another. That's what I've heard, and found on a bit of my own research.

2) I am bit confused as to what mounts were the issue...was it the 4.11 transmission or the differential? Does the 4.11 transmission use stock svx mounts?

The rear TRANSMISSION mount is the one that is different, as I showed in the pictures. It's a 3 piece rear mount that has a different shape, and is therefore necessary for the swap. The USDM mount is more or less a "V" shape, while the JDM has a flatter shape to the rear tranny mount. The rear mount is the only physical outward design difference. Slap that mount on there, and everything else bolts exactly into place. The rear diff swap would be the same as doing any other old gear swap combo. No outward differences there.

Hope that helps!

Old 12-25-2010, 12:04 AM

Registered SVX

Congrats, glad you worked it out. I wouldn't have gotten the 6-speed if I knew I could get a VTD setup for only $1500

Old 12-25-2010, 03:31 PM

Registered SVX

hey for the led problem you can get a 2.2k resister and solder it in across the pos and neg of any of the stop lamp wires and it will take care of that problem. the filiment bulbs have a slight resistance which tells the computer they are not blown.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:12 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post

1) This tranny is out of a Legacy Twin Turbo. As a newer trans than a 92 SVX, it should have all the internal upgrades that later SVX transmissions have.

2) The 4.11 VTD does use stock SVX mounts, but not stock US SVX mounts. The tranny mount is on the rear housing. The VTD housing is different than the non-VTD housing, so, mounts specific to VTD are necessary.

Now, hopefully, the cat-out-of-the-bag, all of you won't bid against each other, or alert the importers that VTD transmissions have any value here in the US

Good job Nevin. You're too nice of a guy, I'm glad to see you succeed
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117