SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-26-2010, 06:06 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
Re: Resinator

My argument is simply what I have been told. As for speaking with Magnaflow, I'm simply stating that you shouldn't trust some rep that might be reading something he just looked up on . I know how customer service works and more often than not, you have a college kid working in a call center or office making minimum wage answering your questions.

And Trev, the reason I said I have no clue what your talking about is because I have no clue what "self gratification" your speaking of.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..

Last edited by Freeman; 04-26-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:08 PM
Nürburgring Warrior!

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Bonestock, perhaps you did not read my post.
The letters in red say something.
Hugs and stuff!

I know what you said but TBH I dismissed it because there is no logical explanation.

The only possible difference your customers would have noticed is that their cars would be louder and the exhaust note may have changed. Any other reason would be from an obstruction, damage, faulty sensor, placebo effect etc.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:15 PM
Nürburgring Warrior!

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
My argument is simply what I have been told. As for speaking with Magnaflow, I'm simply stating that you shouldn't trust some rep that might be reading something he just looked up on . I know how customer service works and more often than not, you have a college kid working in a call center or office making minimum wage answering your questions.

And Trev, the reason I said I have no clue what your talking about is because I have no clue what "self gratification" your speaking of.

And I am telling you that its confirmation to what I have already stated by yet another source. If you don't want to believe Magnaflow's tech line that is on you. If you don't want to believe pretty much COMMON knowledge to certified mechanics, so be it. The information is here, if you want to pretend you didn't see it or stick your head in the sand... go for it.

BTW and what is wrong with being in college? I am a student myself. An old one, but student none the less.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:47 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonestock View Post

BTW and what is wrong with being in college? I am a student myself. An old one, but student none the less.
Why waste time at college when you could be out flipping burgers at McDonalds for minimum wage.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:59 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Bonestock, I apologize if my post, #60 sounded harsh.
I had actually rephrased it and was waiting on Lady Di to approve it when the computer crashed.

Perhaps you noticed the "John" mentioned in the post.
He is a very well known and respected member here.
(As are Harvey and Trevor)
He swears that his son's SVX had lost power after the removal of the resonator and he, John is well noted for his excessiveness, and attention to detail.
And he has two SVXi to compare.
He is not the only SVX customer to tell me this, but untill I have hard #s, I can only report this as what I have heard.

On one of my SVX, (my Heavily modified Claret) the current exhaust is one that has no cats, and five resonators.

My personal definition of a resonator is a sound deadening device with a perforated center tube, surounded with a sound deadening material, with no obstructions to the flow of air.
A muffler is a sound deadening device with baffles, or parabolic chambers, or anything to divert/disrupt the flow of air in a chamber.
Anything that protrudes into the air stream, scalloped vanes, diverter plates, ect., to me constitutes a muffler.

On another note, usually the members on this Network gets along quite well.
We have very few personal attacks that are so common on other internet based networks.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 04-26-2010, 09:00 PM
Nürburgring Warrior!

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Bonestock, I apologize if my post, #60 sounded harsh.
I had actually rephrased it and was waiting on Lady Di to approve it when the computer crashed.

Perhaps you noticed the "John" mentioned in the post.
He is a very well known and respected member here.
(As are Harvey and Trevor)
He swears that his son's SVX had lost power after the removal of the resonator and he, John is well noted for his excessiveness, and attention to detail.
And he has two SVXi to compare.
He is not the only SVX customer to tell me this, but untill I have hard #s, I can only report this as what I have heard.

On one of my SVX, (my Heavily modified Claret) the current exhaust is one that has no cats, and five resonators.

My personal definition of a resonator is a sound deadening device with a perforated center tube, surounded with a sound deadening material, with no obstructions to the flow of air.
A muffler is a sound deadening device with baffles, or parabolic chambers, or anything to divert/disrupt the flow of air in a chamber.
Anything that protrudes into the air stream, scalloped vanes, diverter plates, ect., to me constitutes a muffler.

On another note, usually the members on this Network gets along quite well.
We have very few personal attacks that are so common on other internet based networks.
Nah I didn't take it as harsh. From our conversation a while back I know you know what you are talking about. As to the car in question we don't have any quantifiable data. The ol' butt dyno aint that sensitive.

If it is true that a minor change in the exhaust system made the car run poorly then there is something amiss elsewhere. Coincidence? Bad gas? Its impossible to know.

I don't know where this BS story of "if you remove something in the exhaust you need to replace it with something of equal shape and volume" got started but what a load of rubbish!
Old 04-26-2010, 09:02 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
You appear to be trying to contradict what I have posted, but say nothing contradictory.

I raced cars for years. I can assure you that based on lap times recorded when racing, running a straight exhaust on a standard production car, does not "make it drive like a fat girl being pushed in a wheel barrel." The lack of back pressure is of considerable advantage.
Maybe on a V8 it doesnt make as much as a difference. I've driven many 4 and 6 cylinders with completely open systems (small stock car classes that we have up here) and I've found with smaller engines, a fair amount of backpressure is something wanted more than not wanted. I'm not saying factory stock exhaust, but at least some form of restriction behind it.

Every engine and type of induction is going to have varied results. Like a diesel for example, if its turbo'd you want the biggest system you can get on it. Same goes to a degree with gas turbo engines. After the turbo you want a fairly open and big exhaust system. Supercharged same thing, you have all that air coming into the engine, and have to get it back out.

On a Naturally aspirated 4 and 6 cylinders, they fall flat on their face at mid range rpms with a completely open system. Putting something as simple as a glasspack in the way helps drastically at midrange. I've also discussed this with an old associate at work who's worked and ran one of the main GM repair dealer/repair shop up here. He's build hotrods for 35+ years and every hotrod he's build for people, even cars with big blocks in it have complete exhaust usually built with headers straight back to a performance muffler (like a flowmaster) on out, usually dual with or without a cross over or x pipe. He does that because that style of exhaust pulls the engines the best through the rpm band.

So either having: 1: Cats and no muffler no resonator, 2: No cats, no resonators and just a muffler, 3: No cats no muffler and a bunch of resonators ends up working better than nothing at all or a full system of straight pipe (as in no restrictions)

Thats what I was getting at. I posted my first post in the middle of the night, a lil cloudy minded so it didnt make much sense to me when I reread it today lol. And the fat girl in the wheel barrell reference was meaning they make a whole lot of noise with out a whole lot of movement
Old 04-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
Re: Resonator

Nah, nothing wrong with college student's. They have the patience and time to want to receive an education to get a good job.. It's taken me a while but I believe I'm going to go to college this year, finally..

The space to fill a space where it once was before was my doing. It was my simple way of putting what I thought was explained to me. Then again, I could have heard wrong or simply worded it incorrectly.. Oh well, lol.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 04-26-2010, 11:07 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Resonator

Quote:
Nah, nothing wrong with college student's. They have the patience and time to want to receive an education to get a good job..
I looked back at all my friends from High school that went off to college and graduated with a 4 year degree.. Over 50% of them are working jobs that they were qualified to work before the 4 years of college. (Mcdonalds, grocery stores, gas stations etc) 25% work in a profession completely different from what they went to school for and the other 25% actually got a job in their field of college degree.

I say become a mechanic and keep the world running!
Old 04-27-2010, 03:27 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by torxxx View Post

On a Naturally aspirated 4 and 6 cylinders, they fall flat on their face at mid range rpms with a completely open system. Putting something as simple as a glasspack in the way helps drastically at midrange.
A glasspack is a straight through pipe, usually installed at the same diameter as the pipe it is connected to. It has glass packing in the enlarged section of the pipe, but not in the center straight through section.
Is it a restriction caused by turbulence? Or could the perceived performance gain be from the large volume area introduced in the system?
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:24 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
A glasspack is a straight through pipe, usually installed at the same diameter as the pipe it is connected to. It has glass packing in the enlarged section of the pipe, but not in the center straight through section.
Is it a restriction caused by turbulence? Or could the perceived performance gain be from the large volume area introduced in the system?
The only conclusion which can be reached from the overall experienced quoted here, is that a production engine with valve timing and the like, designed to operate with a sound muffling system and therefore back pressure, will not run as sweetly without some back pressure. However on the basis of maximum power in a racing situation, mid range and sweet running is of no concern.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-27-2010, 09:12 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Quote:
.............And Trev, the reason I said I have no clue what your talking about is because I have no clue what "self gratification" your speaking of.
Yes, we believe you have no clue.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket

Last edited by RojoRocket; 04-27-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojoRocket View Post
Yes, we believe you have no clue.
Glenn
No clue, Glenn?

I for one believes that Freeman, at the very least, has at least one clue

Keith
Old 04-28-2010, 11:31 AM

See, now this discussion re-affirms my wish for a dual-mode exhaust system.

Full equal length primary tube headers into collectors and low-restriction catalyzers (one for each bank)

Then into true-dual 2 or 2.25 inch pipe runs to either individual resonators, or a common 2-in, 2-out resonator box, pretty much parallel straight through, or maybe internal cross-over. (I've been looking at Stebro's Ferrari exhaust products... very nice... they run several 2-in-2-out muffler/resonator boxes, sometimes even 6 of them. More resonator length than pipe length in the exhaust system.)

Two pipes around the rear differential... hopefully two smaller diameter pipes will preserve a bit more ground clearance, as well... with each pipe diverging toward the outboard exhaust tip positions.

Where the current huge muffler is... I would use two mufflers, each same-side input and output, similar to a C6 corvette, or modern Porsche, or some sort of lateral criss-cross layout, if I have to use linear flow mufflers.

But the dual mode would be butterfly valves in Y-pipe junctions on each side. Closed would divert the exhaust through the muffler system, and back out to the exhaust tip.

Open, however, would dump straight to the exhaust tip, with the least amount of bending or impedance as possible.

The tips would be larger ovals than current, and set up with a merge of the inputs from the mufflers, or the direct valve on the same side of the car.

The valves would be electronically actuated, with a three position switch. Manual Open, Automatic, or Quiet (always closed)

Automatic would trigger the exhaust to open with the IRIS intake valve opening, above 4000 RPM. Possibly also triggered along with POWER mode even below 4000RPM with sharp throttle input.

Of course, all of that behind a nicely built high-compression NA EG33 engine with cams and other upgrades, and a STI/Spec.B 6-speed manual gearbox. A ~300 NA flat 6 horsepower that sings a sweet song.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 04-28-2010 at 12:17 PM.