Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-20-2008, 10:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to JLHollowX13
Re: Need Opinions Svx Vs Land Rover Asap!!!

so i finally got a reply from this guy after not talking to him for about a week. he said he lost his apartment but he is willing to trade if i still am. he lives in boulder, which is a 4 to 5 hour drive one way for me. he cannot meet me anywhere because he doesnt have a license or something like that. he did say he wanted to see the car and most likely trade. he gave me his number and i called him. i told him this needs to be a done deal before i drive 8 to 10 hours round trip for this thing.

anyway, i was thinking about alot of things about it. for one thing, gas mileage is going to go down. i was getting close to 26 mpg on my drive this weekend (about 5 hours round trip to visit my family). with that thing ill be lucky to get 20. im pretty sure it takes premium too, so gas price wont change, just using more. another thing i was thinking about was that even though parts may be expensive for the LR, the svx isnt exactly cheap either. i looked up some parts for each on autozones website and the svx was more expensive for most of the parts i looked at (i just looked at some general stuff, water pump, speed sensor, etc).

so i came up with pros and cons. chime in if you have some others to add to the list. also, try not to be biased, i want true pros and cons of getting the LR.

pros:
4x4 capability
newer than the svx/less miles/newer engine and transmission
speedo actually works
more cargo/people room
does have alot of upgrades compared to a stock LR
wont have to replace my struts

cons:
gas mileage
learning a new vehicle
being at the discretion of previous owner/having to relearn the problems on it
less horsepower/torque than the svx/slower for having a v8
driving 8-10 hours round trip for it
i will be getting rid of a car that i love

help me out here people! if i decide to get this thing itll be THIS weekend that ill pick it up. give me some input on this and also things i should look for on the LR.

to be honest, if i had known what i now know about svx's i probably would not have purchased my svx. i would have purchased one, but a different one just because of the things that i have had to fix on it. if it was in the condition its in now when i bought it it would be a different story.

thanks for ANY help, i really appreciate it.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:24 PM

Registered SVX

Expect about 16-17mpg highway and 12-14 in town. If you have to tow or carry anything big(including friends) the Disco is much better. Kids are ok in the rear of the SVX but not much fun for adults on a trip. If you are going to haul friends around doing outdoor activities go with the Disco. I drive our SVX more right know because of the cost of gas but if we go anywhere as a family(kids or dog) or with friends we take either the Disco or the Baja.
Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 10-21-2008, 05:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176

Pros

I concur with the above posted mpg: 16 hyw, 12 city.
More room all around in the Disco.
Depending on winter conditions, Disco would be better in bad roads BUT only if it doesn't break down and leave you stranded.
Doesn't need premium grade fuel.
You get to sit up high and look above the car in front of you.
May be safer due to the large size of the vehicle.
You will have fun exploring the back country of CO!
You will be able to tow trailers and campers (slowly).

Cons:

You'll have to get AAA plus coverage because you WILL be towed home.
If you think the maint problems of a SVX is bad, you won't like the Disco problems.

You WILL become a good mechanic and troubleshooter.
You WILL have to carry spare parts on any long trips.
You will be addicted to Discoweb.org for advice, suggestions and parts.
Resale value is crap on a LR.

I'd much rather get a Cherokee 4x4 than a Disco for, if nothing else, the ability to get parts at any auto parts store!

Good luck with your decision.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 10-21-2008, 09:44 AM

well if it hasnt been said already the electronics on them suck! I had a 96 range rover with the 4.0 in it. Ungodly slow horrible gas mileage, but was a fun vehicle none the less. However i was working full time in a multi-vehicle shop where i had access to lifts, alignment racks, and my matco tool box. Not having this and not having money to blow i would not recommend a rover. They are just too unreliable unless you are a ASE certified mechanic that has a shop.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to JLHollowX13

so i decided against the rover. as much as i want a nice 4x4, i cant bring myself to get rid of the svx. if the guy was closer to me and i could actually go look at it and then think about it i might have thought differently.