How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-26-2008, 03:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to JLHollowX13
front end help needed

so today has been a pretty good day in the 'ol svx. i was out doing some stuff to her and right on time dhl pulls up with my new powersteering pressure hose from subaruparts. i was pretty happy. slapped that on and was back to work doing what i was doing.

and what i was doing wasnt so good, actually pretty annoying. ive noticed i hear alot of vibration when going over bumps. i jacked the car up today, shook the hell outta everything, and nothing moved at all. everything in the front end seemed tight, except one small part. im not sure what it was, but it was very small, connected to the body and the wheel assembly. it was 2 different metal parts with rubber dampeners it looked like. anyway, it was loose on the dirvers side, so i tightened it up. i thought i had found the culprit since everything but that was solid. i guess i was wrong. took it for a test drive and its still vibrating. i dont feel the vibrations, i just hear them. then i started to think that maybe its the plastic "skid plate" under the front end. i only have 2 bolts holding it in, but i dont think its that because i dont think it could make that much of a rattling sound. ill take it off and see if maybe it is the problem, but i highly doubt itll fix it, it may help a little, but i know there is more to it.

does anyone know what could be causing this?? ive read some other threads and someone said something about the swaybar joints or something about the swaybar. is that my problem? or is it something else? what do i need to do to fix it?

thanks for any help, im just tired of constantly hearing the rattling. it is getting very annoying!
Old 03-26-2008, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHollowX13 View Post
im not sure what it was, but it was very small, connected to the body and the wheel assembly. it was 2 different metal parts with rubber dampeners it looked like. anyway, it was loose on the dirvers side, so i tightened it up.

ive read some other threads and someone said something about the swaybar joints or something about the swaybar.
(If you're describing the sway bar bushings), by "loose," do you mean the bolts holding the mount to the frame were backed-out, or was the rubber bushing split or missing?

When I had a sway bar bushing fail and pop out the resulting rattle sounded like the whole front end was about to come out from under the car.

dcb
Old 03-26-2008, 09:46 AM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
(If you're describing the sway bar bushings), by "loose," do you mean the bolts holding the mount to the frame were backed-out, or was the rubber bushing split or missing?

When I had a sway bar bushing fail and pop out the resulting rattle sounded like the whole front end was about to come out from under the car.

dcb
That's my sounds, but I took the Sway Bar out. No change at all.
I'm lookin at the Top Hats next I think.
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 03-26-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiuludeSVX View Post
That's my sounds, but I took the Sway Bar out. No change at all.
You removed the sway bar? New bushings are cheap.

dcb
Old 03-26-2008, 12:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to JLHollowX13
when i got underneath the car to check everything out nothing seems out of place, or loose, or worn out. that is what is confusing me. i didnt see any corroding rubber, or loose bolts. i yanked on everything and nothing would budge. i just cant pin point the problem.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:49 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
top hats...
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 03-26-2008, 04:34 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
You removed the sway bar? New bushings are cheap.

dcb
I yanked it to try and isolate the sound, but it's still there. So bushings are also next.
I had my local tire place lemme underneath, and they were pointing to the Motor Mounts as a possibility.
Midas took a look a while back, and said not to worry "it's just body roll". Yah, un huh Body Roll....
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles