Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-18-2008, 08:30 PM

major electric malfunction

My SVX was hit this year by unfortunate chain of events.
First some one busted my windshield,i was able to buy new one but it was damaged in transport.
Couuple weeks ago i finaly got another one for free from member of this forum.
Last month i got flat tire while driving 65mph in pretty dense traffic.It was raining and for some reason my flashers did not work,but my turn signals worked fine.So i had to get set of 2 new tires(other 2 have90% left).
When puting spare on i broke one of whell studs.On my way back from tire shop i got "christmas tree lights "on dashboard.I had to go another 15 miles to auto parts store to test my alternator.It was bad ,almost dead.
I ordered a new one and headed home,another 5 miles.Car bearly made it.My battery exploded and acid spiled on my parking lot but i had to pusch my car in to parking space.I ordered new battery.
Last saturday i finaly had time to put new alternator,belt and battery in.I had to replace some 10 blown fuses under the hood and behind driver kick panel.
I fired the car and it worked fine for minute or two then dark red/brown smoke started comming from under the steering column inside of the car. I didnt have time to check if everything was working when it was running.

After shutting her down i had to replace 10Afuse for clock in main fuse box and 20A for front wipers in kick panel. 10 A was replaced and does not blow off now 20A keeps blowing off immidietly after starting the car.

Here is how my car works now(or does not work):
-engine starts ,revs and works no hesitation.
-all external lights work(hi low fog park)
-no turn signals or flashers
-center over head panel lights don't work
-sun visor lights work
-sun roof works
-clock does not work
-radio works
-cd player does not work
-cigaret lighter works
-dash illumination does not work
-ac /heat/fan works
-cruise control does not work
-ABS light stays on
-AIR BAG light stays on
-rear wiper and splasher works
-front wiper does not work
-front splasher works
-wiper winter position swich does not work
-automatic seat belts work
-all windows work
-remote mirrors work
- central door lock does not work

power steering does not work
power brakes works.

I removed panel under stering column and looked there hopeing to se something obvious but could not see nothing.
Any ideas or sugestions?

I know nothing about electricity.

I,m sending pm's to OT and YT,maybe they can help.
If not i will put it in shop and hope they not gonna ripe me off!
I need my car for READING meet!!!

MY car is 1992 lsl 118k 5mt.
-

My Locker

Bart

Last edited by SVXBart; 03-18-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:49 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Bart, sounds like the regulator in your alternator was bad and overcharged the system... Thus the fried battery and several fuses... BUT what surprises me is that the fusibe link did not burn out first.

Anyway, I would have to see the car to help at all... If you can come up on Saturday I could look at it then... Otherwise... I cannot tell you much without seeing it... Basically there is a wire that burned up and it shorting out a lot fo stuff right now.... We need to find it/them

Tom
Old 03-18-2008, 09:43 PM

Tom if only my power steering and turn signals worked i would drive to Your shop.But is to far and risk is to big.
Thanks though.

And fusible link was busted to.

My Locker

Bart
Old 03-18-2008, 10:27 PM

Registered SVX
I agree with Tom. Another member had a very similar fault, alternator voltage regulator failure, not long ago. A search may turn it up if you are interested in the details.

You advise that you know nothing about electricity. You have a rather serious and complicated problem. It would be pointless trying to guide you through fault finding procedures, as we would all wind up quite mad. However rest assured that we do commiserate.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 03-18-2008, 11:33 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Hi Bart.

I just saw this now.
Maybe Di and I can stop in on Friday on our way to YTs place.
I'll speak with her in the morning.
Tom
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 03-19-2008, 12:13 AM

So Sorry....

It sounds like you may be in a bunch of trouble.
The things that don’t work do not have a common electrical supply but several fuses are involved. The fuse link of ciurse is a common supply but obviously it now is ok since you replaced it and several things are working. Is it possible that you still have some bad fuses?
There are the 2 fuse boxes, as I am sure you know. If you are acyually testing the fuses instead of just visually looking at them, you will know if there are some bad ones. If all fuses are good, you may have some serious component failiers because of< Lord only knows, how much voltage went through the system. Obviously enough to destroy the battery. Sure sounds like a serious one for you. So sorry…
Maybe we should put our heads together and try to come up with an addition to the system that would protect against that drastic regulator failure.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:40 PM

Thanks guys.

The only fuse thah is going bad every time i start the car is 20A for front wiper.All others are ok,i pull them out to test them.I'm not sure about relays though,and dont know how to test them other than using fuse tester,and they are ok.

OT.If you can swing by on friday that would be great,but have in mind that i will not be there.I got big job for that day.Anna will be home though.Let me know and will pm you my adress and acess password for my svx.
Bart

My Locker

Bart
Old 03-19-2008, 02:59 PM

I´ve had the same problem!

Last year it happened to me, the alternator regulator shorted and pumped out high voltage, resulting in welded relays, blown diodes and other nasties.

See my thread: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41614

If youre not experienced in faultfinding autoelectrical systems and electronics, I suggest you ask for help. I do know some about it, and it was very, very hard to trace and correct the various problems.

As for your problem with the wipers I suspect the wiper control unit. A small black plastic box behind driver vent outlet (quite hard to find and remove). There are three relays and one was welded short, causing the fuse to pop. As for your intstrument cluster a big protection diode at the small printed circuit board at the back of the assembly was shot and causing no lights.

However no accident like this is identical and you may have other circuits affected.

My experience is however to have all wiring diagrams at hand, identify all units, relays and connectors, have loads of patience and a good digital volt meter. If you put time into it I am certion that you can fix it.

Good luck!

Rgds Alex
Old 03-20-2008, 05:48 PM

Alex.
I just read and printed out you thread. I will give it to the person that will work on my svx.
So what hapened with ABS unit was it fried?
Thanks
Bart.

My Locker

Bart
Old 03-20-2008, 05:48 PM

OT you got pm!

My Locker

Bart
Old 03-22-2008, 10:03 AM

abs unit

Unfortunately I can´t answer whats wrong with the ABS unit. I havent had the time to tear into it yet, just unplugged it at the unit and both connectors at the abs pump.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Fixored... I have just about everything fixed with replacement of numerour relays and control units. Most surprising of them being the power steering control unit(was literally smoking from a fried capacitor it looked like). Only things I need to work on are the ABS module (i just need to put a good one in) and the climate control display(doesn't light up). Other than that, it all works. Something else that surprised me, the door locks. Since the 92's didn't have central locking, the lock/unlock switch is the driver's door lock. Both door lock actuators had their contacts welded shut in the lock position. i have to replace BOTH actuators!! Also the door lock timer and then time control module.... You get the picture... It wasn't easy to find this stuff but with my service manuals and my mitchell disc it was much easier to trace the power distribution to know what to look for

Tom
Old 04-05-2008, 11:45 AM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
WOW!!!
Its sounds like ALL the magic smoke was let out of this one! Kudos to you Tom.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:10 PM

Thanks YT!!!

My Locker

Bart
Old 04-07-2008, 05:57 PM

I should also thank OT who did initial repair on power sterring on his way to NJ meet.He also brought back Good ABS unit from that meet, on his way back and offered to work on my car at 11pm suon sunday!

THANKS OT!!!
THANKS DI !!!

My Locker

Bart