How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-25-2008, 06:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to subru92svx
Big brake kit decisions

Hey, I need some help making up my mind and was hopeing to get some insight from other SVX owners thoughts. I'm about to order a big brake kit for my SVX, but I can't decide if I should get the Willwood forged 1 piece 4-piston calipers or the Willwood GNIII 6-piston calpiers? The Willwood 4-piston calipers will fit behind my 18" rims for sure, are much lighter, and offer 25% better braking over stock. The Willwood 6-pistons calipers fitting perfectly is questionable, are heavier, and offer 31% better braking. The company said they would give me a set of wheel spacers for free if I need them and the price difference between the two kits is only $200. Both kits use the stock master cylinder, stainless brake lines, and 13 inch 330mm x 28mm 2-piece rotors. I was told there will be more brake petal travel with the 6-piston kit though. So far all my friends have said to go with the 6-piston GNIII brakes. What do you guys think?
Old 02-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
I wasn't aware of a Willwood BBK that fit the SVX. YT tried talking to them about making a kit and didn't get very far. The only system I've ever seen installed on a car is the StopTech front brake kit.

Also, what do you mean by 25% and 31% better braking? My stock brakes are enough to get my ABS going on dry pavement, with good tires, which indicates to me that I'm maxing out my car's stopping ability, so where are you gaining 31%?

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Last edited by Crazy_pilot; 02-25-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
yeah who is feeding you this info that they make a kit for the SVX?? Because the Sti kit will not work

Tom
Old 02-25-2008, 10:22 PM

The company is call Revolution Brakes. They offer a few different SVX kits. Just give them a call they can explain everything better than I can.

Technical Sales Rep.
Kevin Taylor
1-541-488-5638
Old 02-25-2008, 10:26 PM
OOC for a while

Send a message via AIM to 94SubieSVX
Tom maybe this is the place Brian got his d/s rotors from? Idk if he even said where he got them from though.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:33 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by subru92svx View Post
The company is call Revolution Brakes. They offer a few different SVX kits. Just give them a call they can explain everything better than I can.

Technical Sales Rep.
Kevin Taylor
1-541-488-5638
1.) Do they have a website?

2.) The braking ability of a big brake kit is no more than a stock system that can lock up the wheels (or get into full ABS). The only real advantages that you will see with a Big brake kit are these... 1.) They will look a hell of a lot better than stock brakes (and I LOVE how big brakes look ). 2.) Better overall feel and modulation (assuming that they work well with the stock master cylinder). 3.) Better and more consistant stopping distances when repeatadly stopping HARD (like you would at say, a Track day where you are on the track going crazy for 20 - 30 minutes at a time)... Other than those things, I can't really see why anyone would want to pay the costs for big brakes... Believe me, I want them like crazy!!! But there is no way I can justify them after switching my lines and pads... Now I can stop so hard it'll lift my passenger out of her seat if she isn't expecting it

~ Chris

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 02-26-2008, 07:18 AM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777
You can't beat OT's brake kit for the price to performance... Don't know how much Willwoods are running you, but you can get much better brake feel, and all new pads, rotors (Drilled or slotted, and Cryo-treated), and SS lines through OT for... $400?

Something around there. It's a crazy good deal - I've been saving up.

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 02-26-2008, 08:58 AM
SVX- My daily driving Corvette

Send a message via AIM to CorSVXette
Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridered777 View Post
You can't beat OT's brake kit for the price to performance... Don't know how much Willwoods are running you, but you can get much better brake feel, and all new pads, rotors (Drilled or slotted, and Cryo-treated), and SS lines through OT for... $400?

Something around there. It's a crazy good deal - I've been saving up.
Yea What he said
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 02-26-2008, 12:02 PM

I already have stainless SS brake lines, slotted and dimpled rotors, akebono ceramic brakes pads, and remanufactured calipers on my car now. I'm still not happy with it. I also just love the way big brake kits look.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:26 PM

please...........

Quote:
I already have stainless SS brake lines, slotted and dimpled rotors, akebono ceramic brakes pads, and remanufactured calipers on my car now. I'm still not happy with it. I also just love the way big brake kits look.
Tell us the cost??
Old 02-26-2008, 04:42 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
I found their website:

http://www.revolutionbrake.com/speci...rake-kits.html

Scroll down to the bottom and click on the "Specialty kits" link. They appear to have 4 front kits available for the SVX, and 1 rear kit.

The front kits range from $2500-$3200, and the rear kit is $3000.

Sorry, but I can think of better ways to spend 6 grand. Give me OT's $400 system, and I'll buy YT Stage III just for kicks. Then I'll outrun you and match you for stopping.

I would be curious to see how they've done this though, because it's been shown the SVX needs a unique bracket for the calipers. Hopefully they didn't just assume the STi kits will fit and just sell the same thing.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 02-26-2008, 07:24 PM

They must have the wrong prices on their website because I was quoted way less for both of the sets that I was told about.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:16 PM

If you remember...

Quote:
They must have the wrong prices on their website because I was quoted way less for both of the sets that I was told about.
Maybe you could share the information with us
Old 02-26-2008, 11:28 PM

$1,800 for 4 piston kit and $2,000 for the 6 piston kit. Yes, I know its still a lot of money.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:30 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
waste.....of.....money....

Try some more aggressive pads (HAWK or others make them) on the front and get better tires.

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker