Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Interior Mods

Old 12-28-2007, 05:51 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
WRX Seats

Mwahahaha, time for another WRX-to-SVX seat swap. My big bonus: Heated seats!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to (hopefully) be buying a set of heated, airbagged, 04 WRX seats from a local guy. I know Sicksubie has swapped these in, so it's do-able, but what about the heated part? Any thoughts on how I can swap that sort of thing in to my car? And is there any way to safely remove the airbags? I don't need them, might as well kill off the extra weight.

By the way, sicksubie, your original how-to thread has lost it's pictures. Any chance you could put those somewhere view-able?

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 12-28-2007, 05:54 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
if you get this done and get the heated thing to work I'd be interested to see how you do it... sounds kinda appealing to me... how much are they gonna cost you???
Old 12-28-2007, 05:59 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
if you get this done and get the heated thing to work I'd be interested to see how you do it... sounds kinda appealing to me... how much are they gonna cost you???
A $265 camera. It's a trade, I buy him the camera online, I get the seats.

2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos

Old 12-28-2007, 06:00 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
lol nice.... lemme know how it ends up...
Old 12-28-2007, 06:12 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
remove the headrest, un bolt the seat back from the seat bottom (Not necessary, just makes it easier), and remove the hogs rings that secure the seat fabric to the frame, at the bottom. The fabric should slide off the seat, sometimes they come off inside out, just depends on how tight it is to the inner foam. Once this is off, you should be able to remove the air bag modules. You might have to fill the cavities in with foam, I don't know how they do them since I've never had an air bagged seat apart, but chances are there will be a hole you'll have to stuff some foam in. You might be able to separate the explosive charge from the air bag module and put the module back in, but like I said, I've never had one apart, I've had a seat apart, but it wasn't a bagged one lol.
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 12-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I now have my new seats sitting happily in my basement. To the nay-sayers who think these are a poor substitute for the SVX furniture, I was once like you! Even on the ride home I was looking from the WRX seat to the SVX seat and thinking I'd made a horrible mistake. Then I got home, pulled the seats out, and sat in one. That's all it took. Try these once, just sit in them, and you'll be convinced. The suede is super soft, the bolsters are amazing, perfect snugness level...I'm converted.

So onwards: Anyone have thoughts on how I can get the heating units to work? I'd really like to take full advantage of all the feature I have here

I may decide to buy a leather set for the seats. Check out the leather kit in this WRX That's what I may do, or may not. The suede in these seats is really so nice I might just keep it.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:40 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
Air bag + seat heater info

Here are PDFs from the service manual, wiring diagram for the seat heaters, and information on the side airbags (shows how to remove the module as well)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 04 WRX seat heater.pdf (39.4 KB, 153 views)
File Type: pdf 04 WRX side air bag.pdf (57.1 KB, 260 views)
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 12-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
hmmmm..... your seats are 2004s? I need to check and see if the 2003's had heated seats. There are extra plugs underneath besides the airbag plug.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 12-29-2007, 10:11 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
They're actually '03, like yours. The guy thought they were '04, but the 04's have the molded in headrest like the STi seats (racing seat style). I'm betting if there's two sets of plugs they have heaters in them.

The guy I got the seats from found an OEM Subaru seat heater switch, which he's going to let me have.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:01 AM
just trying to fix it!

Registered SVX
looks like you can just use a single pole double throw switch, from the diagram it looks like there are 2 elements.. hi and low. so power from the car, into the center prong on the SPDT, and one element to each outer prong. and then the common one in the seat to ground on the chassis. anything i missed? you could also wire in indicator lights if you wanted. anybody know what that switch looking thing is in the center of the heaters? pressure switch? or
Old 12-31-2007, 12:33 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by superru View Post
looks like you can just use a single pole double throw switch, from the diagram it looks like there are 2 elements.. hi and low. so power from the car, into the center prong on the SPDT, and one element to each outer prong. and then the common one in the seat to ground on the chassis. anything i missed? you could also wire in indicator lights if you wanted. anybody know what that switch looking thing is in the center of the heaters? pressure switch? or
That's pretty much exactly what the OEM Subaru switch I'm getting is. It's got high and low settings, so should work perfectly. Heck, it's the button that comes with the seats, so why wouldn't it work? lol. The diagram also shows a fuse and a relay. Since the WRX seats aren't powered, I might be able to use the relay for that to run the heating elements, but I'm betting the wires don't run through the dash.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:52 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
what is the URL for that whole thread? I am extremely interested in doing the leather swap and putting a stock backseat back in my car. Do you know a price off hand?
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 12-31-2007, 01:05 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
NASIOC Thread

The price shown there is $549 for a "Deluxe" kit, which I assume means front and rear seats. The thread is also quite old, so I'm not sure how well it still applies.

I've e-mailed ATD, the guys that posted that, so see what they would charge for just the fronts, with the lower two panels of the seat back having a "gathered" or wrinkled pattern to match the stock SVX look, and the SVX emblem embroidered into the seat. Apparently they are distributors of the Katzkin leather kit, so you may be able to get a more direct answer straight from Katzkin.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:32 PM

Graphit leather with silver suede inserts is what I am going to do.... I want the Alcyone Bullhead on the headrest too.

Go to page 5 on that thread and you will see the color combo that I am talking about
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5

Last edited by sicksubie; 12-31-2007 at 01:40 PM.