IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2007, 10:49 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Like It

I put my vote in the "like it" category. The Forester was due a little redefinition without losing its basic utility design and I think Subaru has accomplished that. I agree with the statement that IF the increased wheelbase translates to a bit more interior passenger space--that will be a huge plus. I don't think Subaru will lose any Forester owners over this redesign and may even pick up a few new ones. Pricing will be a key. If the price increases significantly people will consider other alternatives with a bit more power.

The Forester is also a significant vehicle of choice here in the New Mexico mountains. In my area I would estimate that a full 15 percent of all home owners (not a hugely populated area) own one of them. It is perfect for a rural area with gravel roads that get significant annual snowfall where people have to drive 50-140 miles per day for roundtrip commuting. (I don't--retired )

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 12-27-2007, 11:41 AM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
I like the "new" Forrester, but I think they should have made it look a bit more like the Tribeca, and Impreza. While those cars aren't all that pretty, they ARE the new face of Subaru.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Thumbs down Somewhere between ugly and nondescript.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
the wheels, VDC, and more room is nice.....but it looks like a Mazda/Hyundai.

NORTH AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW PREVIEW:
SUBARU RELEASES FIRST PHOTOS OF ALL-NEW 2009 FORESTER CROSSOVER SUV

* All-New Design with Improved Comfort, Space and Utility
*  All-New Platform With Sport-Sedan Dynamics
*  Standard Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC)

CHERRY HILL, N.J -- Subaru of America, Inc. today released the first official photos of the all-new, third-generation 2009 Forester, a total re-design of the award-winning crossover utility vehicle (CUV) that will debut at the 2008 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit in January. The 2009 Forester, which arrives in Subaru dealerships this spring, builds upon its predecessor’s reputation as an icon of safety, dependability and versatility. The new-generation 2009 model projects a bolder, more SUV-like design and making a major leap in safety technology, comfort, refinement and driving dynamics.

As with all Subaru models, the 2009 Forester comes equipped as standard with Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive. An all-new platform featuring a 3.6-inch longer wheelbase (now 103.0 inches) and double-wishbone rear suspension improves crash-worthiness and at the same time provides crisper handling, a quieter ride and increased interior space and cargo room. The 2009 Forester once again blends positive SUV attributes including a high seating point and interior versatility with passenger car comfort, handling and fuel efficiency.

All Forester models for 2009 feature standard side-curtain airbags with a rollover sensor, and the Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) stability and traction control system is standard on all models for the first time. With the Subaru Dynamic Chassis Control Concept (Subaru DC3), Subaru optimized all elements of the Forester’s chassis to deliver a better balance of ride, handling response, quietness and overall traction performance than offered by competitive vehicles. A comprehensive array of elements contributes to that goal, including the new, high-strength body structure, standard Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive, VDC and four-wheel disc ABS brakes with the Brake Assist safety system.

Manual-transmission models also feature Incline Start Assist, which can momentarily prevent the vehicle from rolling backward when being driven away from a stop on an incline.

Even with its bolder exterior and roomier interior, the new 2009 Forester is only about three inches longer than its predecessor, thus retaining the trim exterior packaging cited by Forester owners as one of this model’s most essential features. A robust body structure, heavy-duty raised four-wheel independent suspension system and up to 8.9 inches of ground clearance help make Forester equally adept at negotiating twisty roads and absorbing ruts and bumps.

IMPROVED PERFORMANCE WITH GREATER COMFORT AND VERSATILITY
The 2009 Forester offers naturally aspirated and turbocharged/intercooled 2.5-liter Boxer engines, both revised to provide better low-end and mid-range torque for more responsive everyday performance. New interior materials, including double-stitched fabrics and high-grade plastics, impart a feeling of higher quality. As before, Forester is offered in a wide array of models, with the 2009 Forester 2.5 X offering one of the best values in the crossover SUV segment and the range-topping Forester L.L.Bean Edition offering more luxury without compromising the vehicle’s sporty nature.

The 2009 Forester offers a navigation system for the first time as well as advanced audio system upgrade options. The 2009 Forester comes pre-wired for XM® or SIRIUS® Satellite Radio. An auxiliary audio input jack enables connection of an iPod® or MP3 player.

http://vocuspr.vocus.com/vocuspr30/N...4-648a4936f089
Thanks Alan.

This looks just like a Kia or a Hyundai to me, I see no Subaru visual identity or Subaru genetic heritage in this shape. The Forester from it's inception was always an estate car, lower in profile than an SUV.

They have already got the ugly Tribeca, why do they need two of them?

Or maybe this is just a way of using up Tribeca shells, sticking in the flat fours and calling them Foresters?

Either way, this is less of an SUV and more of a SUX.

The only positive styling change I can see in this car is they have stopped using that butt-ugly beer-can ring-pull device in the centre of the grille.

As a long-time Forester fan, this new car does not make the grade for me. Big disappointment.

They won't sell here in Ireland any more after next July anyway. Our new carbon taxation system will kill them off unless they have a turbo-diesel in the range.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-28-2007, 08:36 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
I like it! I won't be in the market for one for quite some time, and it'll be for a sports/xt version or an LLBean Edition.

Eric, calm down buddy, thats a Japanese style mirror on many JDM cars, it wont make it here im sure.

That red one pictured seems to be a base model, so the cheapness doesnt really bother me. My Legacy interior feels cheap because its an SE, not a Limited. Those interiors are like night and day with the itchy cloth cheap seats versus the supple leather seats.

Still, +1 to Subaru for the Forester in my book. Congrats on taking the aging Forester Impreza based design, and growing it into a nice little SUV, not a rhinocerous on crack with a flying v for a face crossover (Tribeca)...
Old 12-28-2007, 09:32 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Meh, I liked the Forester based on Impreza design. The Forester could get away with having car tires put on it and it didn't have that nasty SUV maintenance problem that all SUV's have. Now it seems though Subaru has caved and has moved to make the Forester a real SUV. I liked it more when it was based on a car.

It has the same front end as the new Outbacks and Legacy's. I don't mind the front end, but it doesn't look like the Impreza (well, really, the Impreza is on its own in the lineup, all the rest of Subaru's vehicles have a similar design).
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 12-28-2007, 10:04 PM
I kill more trannies then god

i don't know the front end reminded me of an impreza.
i am with manarius, it really pisses me off that they turned the forrester into an suv.
i think it looks better then the b9, but i still would take an 07/08 forrester over it any day
Old 12-29-2007, 07:00 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
My wife is going to be furious. Her Forester is pretty much exactly what she wants! I guess change is inevitable, though.

Can you imagine being an "Impala Guy", having bought them since the '60's, and suddenly having the Impala be a front-wheel-drive with a 6-banger?

Garg, I better let her know, so she can explore her options. Subaru is starting to make me a little nervous, as their faithful are a little irked with their recent product changes. Survival is one thing - suicide is another.

P.S.: The link in the original post is bad.

Last edited by LetItSnow; 12-29-2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:23 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
My opinion has officially reversed. Someone photoshopped the new Forester to create the sport model. ME LIKE!

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 12-29-2007, 02:32 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
OK, so that looks like a slammed Explorer.

On the Impala issue...Paitence, There's a new platform coming for the Impala, RWD & V8. Along with the Grand Prix, Bonneville, Camaro and Lacrosse, based on the Caddy CTS chassis.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:38 PM

Those odd mirrors

Just as an aside, Japanese DMV regulations require that the outside rear view mirrors be visible through the wiped area of the windshield. That's why those mirrors stuck on the edges of the front fenders. I've driven with similar mirrors (Lucas wing mirrors, anyone?) and they actually present a pretty good view down the adjacent lanes.
Paul
'93 Mercury (Aussie) Capri
Old 12-29-2007, 02:58 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
I still like it. Neat photoshop, just not my style.

The 09 sorta reminds me of an Acura RDX somewhat.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:41 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Turbone Send a message via AIM to Turbone Send a message via Yahoo to Turbone Send a message via Skype™ to Turbone
Registered SVX
This is my idea of a Forester. It didnt make the reserve either.
Ebay Forester
Old 12-31-2007, 06:15 AM
Locker Link Solution

hello new Rav4.. I do still like many toyotas, but I don't like where this is heading.

I do kindof like this new one. That said we'll be buying a new forester real soon... REAL forester
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 12-31-2007, 06:47 AM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbone View Post
I've been very tempted to build one like this. With swapped STi hubs and brembos, and a dual range tacoma box with an extra diff for up front.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?

Last edited by Speedklix; 12-31-2007 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:13 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
I was planning to buy trade in for a new Forester when the diesel engine is available, but, sorry, I won't be buying one of those, I would be embarrassed to be seen in that. I am guessing that it has also bloated out in width too, which is no good for me at all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954