Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-11-2007, 06:11 PM

binding or misfiring?

between speeds of 50-60mph when rpm is 1400-1800 or so it really jerks the car around, seems like someone hits the brakes for a quick second and lets off, this goes away if i get it up past 2000rpm or a higher speed of 65 , who thinks this is binding or misfiring...
Old 12-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
I know this isn't what you want to hear, since I have no clue what your problem is...

...but with the number of problems you're having, I'm starting to think getting a Tom to ship out to WA for a few days would be totally worth it.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:05 AM

My guess is one of the sensors on the timing either Cam or the two on the crank shaft. Suggest you start with Cam, do you know any one with an other SVX so you can borrow a couple of part to see.
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:37 AM

read the codes

Sounds like the cam sensor - I had that problem. If it's the cam sensor, it will store the cam code on the ECU. Mine did - read the codes and see.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:26 PM

ive had bad misfiring problems since i got the car a few months ago, i had to get a new ecu for a couple things going wrong , i do have the old ecu btw, i have only recieved to 2 CEL's , one for slow responding 02 sensor, so i replaced it... then a misfire, cyl 2.- baught a new coil... ran good for about 1 day after i baught it and all my symptoms came back... the battery exploded sometime before i baught the vehicle but the acid was still in a clear form so i thought it was just water... i noticed it when all the acid was pure white and was over my cam sesnor, all over my valve cover, and ran down the frame... but i had the misfiring before the acid had gone to a white form and corrodid everything.... i only see a few people with svx's but not anyone personal to barrow pieses, but i am able to use pieces of my 98 legacy, thats how i confirmed i dont have a bad MAF and that yes, 98 legacy MAFS do work on the svx... if anyone has some ideas for me to figure out if its a cam sensor or not that would be cool
Old 12-12-2007, 02:09 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
WOW
Battery explosions can really wreak havoc on everything. If you haven't already you need to give the whole engine compartment a baking soda & water bath. My suggestion is one of those garden pump sprayers. Mix a whole box of Arm&Hammer into it, then start spraying away. You need to neutralize the acid before it does any more damage.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:09 PM

The cam angle sensor and one of the sensor on the crankshaft are the same if you swap them my gues is you will get different symptoms or the car won't run. I can tell you though if a battery explode the plug on the sensor will need to be cleared. Do as was suggested ASAP before the acid destroys every thing.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.