How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 12-09-2007, 05:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to redlinedeath Send a message via Yahoo to redlinedeath
does anyone speak japanese?

does anyone here speak japanese? if so, is it just romanji, or can you actually read and write kaniji, hiragana and katakana? im teaching myself japanese, but its all in romanji, and i actually want to give all the characters a shot, and want someones opinion on a good way to learn kanji, and such as well as learning to speak it. yeah, i know this is a really really long process, and i know i can learn spanish english and italian in the time it will take me to learn japanse, but i know what im getting into, and any info is greatly appreciated!!
Old 12-09-2007, 06:04 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinedeath View Post
does anyone here speak japanese? if so, is it just romanji, or can you actually read and write kaniji, hiragana and katakana? im teaching myself japanese, but its all in romanji, and i actually want to give all the characters a shot, and want someones opinion on a good way to learn kanji, and such as well as learning to speak it. yeah, i know this is a really really long process, and i know i can learn spanish english and italian in the time it will take me to learn japanse, but i know what im getting into, and any info is greatly appreciated!!
Everything is on tap here. My countryman paddlesnz has spent time in Japan teaching English and speaks Japanese. But I doubt that he would have the time to teach you via a thread or PM.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 12-09-2007, 06:11 PM

ha, ask a question about anything, and it will be answered!! cars, obviously, music, im sure, technology, without a doubt, string theory, get me drunk first, then bring ear plugs cause i dont shut up! lol

seriously though, just looking for learning tips, looking for a good way to start learning!
Old 12-09-2007, 07:34 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinedeath View Post
ha, ask a question about anything, and it will be answered!! cars, obviously, music, im sure, technology, without a doubt, string theory, get me drunk first, then bring ear plugs cause i dont shut up! lol

seriously though, just looking for learning tips, looking for a good way to start learning!
He looks in here sometimes, but better if you send him a PM. he is a helpful sort of guy.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 12-09-2007, 08:19 PM

thanks, i sent him a pm.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Turbone Send a message via AIM to Turbone Send a message via Yahoo to Turbone Send a message via Skype™ to Turbone
Registered SVX
Have you looked into the language learning program Rosetta Stone?
Dont know if they have what your looking for specifically, but I've heard its pretty good.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbone View Post
Have you looked into the language learning program Rosetta Stone?
Dont know if they have what your looking for specifically, but I've heard its pretty good.
my friend was actually supposed to get this program, and we were going to work on it together, but i dont know if that would work well for japanese as you have to learn all new characters instead of letters, such as you would use for spanish, french, german, etc, and then, you have to learn three basic sets, kanji (there are thosuands of kanji characters) hiragana (46 basic characters) and katakana(also 46) after some discussion with people, it may sound silly but the best way is starting with childrens books. they know only slightly more then us. working on it though, started today, as i didnt work because im sick as all hell. terrible really! i think i may use rosetta stone for italian next fall though. should be good.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: