How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-09-2004, 03:40 PM
SEA Sleeper

Question Jacking points

I know this thread makes me look like a real "jackass" but I would like some input on where to jack the front of my car from. I use a 3Ton floor jack and I cannot get it to fit underneath the car far enough to reach the cross member. Any input on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I bought the Chilton's repair manual for the SVX; wow! they have comprehensive steps on anything regarding any 89-93 subaru except the SVX, they might as well have called it the SVX teaser addition. Anyway,enough venting about that. Any suggestions would be appreciated. THANKS
Old 04-09-2004, 03:52 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

I also have a hard time getting my floor jack under the front of my car. What I did was to make up two small ramps using 2x10 or 12 lumber. Mine only needed to be two layers high. depending on your jack they may need to be higher. Just drive the car up onto the ramps first, then there should be enough room to get your floor jack under the front crossmember.

The following is a public safety notice.
Remember never go under a car supported by the jack alone.
Always use jack stands.

Last edited by nubs; 04-09-2004 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:28 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Hey... another question: how the HELL do you get 4 jack stands under an SVX??? Where's the 5th jacking point> I know you can use the front crossmember, but is there anything in back!??

- Rob
Old 04-09-2004, 07:30 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

I use the rear differential as a jacking point for my floor jack.
I do it with all of my cars and have had no problems.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:44 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Yup. I do the samething, drive it up on some wood at all four wheels and then jack it up. I use a board between the jack and front subframe because the jack I use has the four raised edges and the edges tend to bend the sub-frame. The rear jack point on the rear dif is in the FSM and I think it is wild that the svx or any Subaru for that matter, can be jacked up at that location. It says alot for the rubber bushings that hold the rear dif inplace.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:35 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
actually theres about 8 good jack pts on the svx... most people don't realize that the frame actually extends out to the outer edge... where thers a metal line both front and back on each side. also theres the circle things you can jack it up from... i've used both and they both hold the car perfectly

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 04-10-2004, 02:07 AM
abrasive personality

Send a message via AIM to NomadTW
be careful using the differential it's self to jack up the car
the casing is only cast aluminum and it could crack if too much pressure is concentrated on one point
if your going to use it i'd recomend a 2x4x4 piece of wood on top of the jack
Old 04-10-2004, 08:09 AM
Multiple Suby Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by NomadTW
be careful using the differential it's self to jack up the car
the casing is only cast aluminum and it could crack if too much pressure is concentrated on one point
if your going to use it i'd recomend a 2x4x4 piece of wood on top of the jack

You are incorrect about the the rear differential being aluminum. The only thing that is aluminum is the cover. The main body is cast iron. I quick check with a magnet will prove it. I am sure someone else will chime in about this.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:55 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by nubs

You are incorrect about the the rear differential being aluminum. The only thing that is aluminum is the cover. The main body is cast iron. I quick check with a magnet will prove it. I am sure someone else will chime in about this.
I'm pretty sure you're right - not only that but Subaru themselves recommend using the differential to jack from.

SEA Sleeper, I have a 3.5 ton floor jack, so I know what you're talking about. But I still use the crossmember in the front. I just park the car on four 2x8s that I call my 'SVX-to-garage adapters.'

Still, it takes two steps to put the car up high enoguh to getunderneath comfortably. I put the front up on the lowest setting on my stands. Then I put the back up real high before matching the front. If you put one side up too high you won't be able to get the jack underneath the rear.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-12-2004, 12:26 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
tow hooks in the front and body bushing mounts on the rear. once you have it in the air find frame locations for the jack stands. i have had mine up on more than 50 occasions, damn broken parts
Old 04-12-2004, 01:36 PM
tmaslar

Drivemusicnow,

I really don't understand where the other jack points you are referring to are located.

There is the crossmember up front. The rear diff. And the four points where yoy can place your jack stands along the outer edges. They have some sort of small metal piece along them that I assume is the intended point to place your jackstands.

That is six points I think I understand.

Where exactly are the other points you are referring to?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 04-12-2004, 06:11 PM
SEA Sleeper

RE: Jacking Points

It sounds like the best way to go is with a few blocks of wood under the tires for now. I did have a concern about something I heard about the SVX, I heard that it is a unibody and very specific as to where you jack it from. Before I knew this I placed my floor jack just behind the driver's side front tire as far as my 3Ton would go. I jacked the car from what looked like a main part of the frame. I was concerned that doing this would bend the unibody and cause my frame to bend a little bit at a time, one oil change at a time. I bought the Chilton's repair manual in order to find the jack points. I would reccomend not wasting your money on that paperwheight; it had all kinds of diagrams and relavent info on the justy and other Buru's, but just teasers on the SVX. I was VERY dissapointed.

If anyone out there could fabricate a picture or diagram of the underside w/ jacking points and mehtods I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks for all the information so far
Old 04-13-2004, 02:44 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Re: RE: Jacking Points

Quote:
Originally posted by SEA Sleeper
.... one oil change at a time....
As far as oil changes and other minor underbody service, I think it is much easier and SAFER to use a set of ramps.