Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-01-2004, 09:53 AM
red95svx

I stored my 95 this past winter and killed my battery too. They just don't like to sit around unused for too long

Dave
Old 07-01-2004, 12:56 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Mental note: When storing the SVX disconnect the battery.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:07 AM
Paxton71

ALT

Hmmm. I noticed the headlight flicker about 1 month ago. Yesteray, with the switch on and the car off, I saw the dashboard lights flicker. I started it and turned it back off. No problem. I suspect the ALT too.

Talking to a pro-wrench the other day, he told me he "drop checks" NAPA alternators before installing them! Otherwise, the install failure rate is about 50%. Could be BS, could get that brush to seat. Who knows.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:10 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Question

Does the relationship between alternator & battery seems to be more critical in later years than the "good old days", whatever they were? I remember driving a battery into the ground many times, then jump starting the car, letting the alternator do its thing to re-charge the battery, until the next time I left an interior light on overnight. When the alternator died in my other SVX, the Nissan 240SX, I was told to be sure the battery was fully charged before starting the car with the new alternator, lest I do some internal (regulator?) damage to it. Perhaps this is this case with so many out-of-box failures? Just a thought.

Ron (have had MANY box o' failures).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:28 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
Does the relationship between alternator & battery seems to be more critical in later years than the "good old days", whatever they were? I remember driving a battery into the ground many times, then jump starting the car, letting the alternator do its thing to re-charge the battery, until the next time I left an interior light on overnight. When the alternator died in my other SVX, the Nissan 240SX, I was told to be sure the battery was fully charged before starting the car with the new alternator, lest I do some internal (regulator?) damage to it. Perhaps this is this case with so many out-of-box failures? Just a thought.

Ron (have had MANY box o' failures).
I believe that the problem here stems from the increased need of electricty provided by the battery and the alternator. Newer vehicles simply have more accessories and electronics in the car.

It has always been necessary to have a fully charged battery when replacing it. The problems that can happen due to this effect are now just more apparent because increased need. An alternator is not a full battery charger. It is somewhat of a 'trickle' charger. Its primary job is to run the car, not charge the battery. You WILL do damage to teh alternator if it is used in such a manner to completely charge a battery. Same goes for when you jump a car, do not rev the engine.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 07-03-2004, 07:47 PM
TapperManor

UPDATE

So I went back to Napa. I let them know what was going on. He suggested that they test the battery. At this point I'm thinking maybe it is the battery, so I took him up on it. I took the battery out of the car and brought it down there. They charged it overnight and when i went back the next day, he hooked up a battery load tester thingy, and volts dropped to like 10, in a split second. He said "your battery is junk". So I bought a new battery.

Sidenote: They also ordered a new alternator, so it would be there in case I needed it.

More next post . . . . . . .

Tapper
Old 07-03-2004, 08:03 PM
TapperManor

So I go home to put in the battery, and I almost just dropped it in and hooked it up..................but I figured I would poke around a bit first . . .

This is what I found:

1) see pic: alt_connect_wire_rip.jpg
One of the wires that go into the connector plug/clip for the alternator was damaged a bit. Not that bad, just a bit of insulation was torn a bit.

2) see pic: splice.jpg
The plug/clip for the alternator had been replaced previously, because the wire was spliced under the flat black plastic case that protects the wires that go over the alternator.

3) see pic: bat_ground_bolt.jpg
The bolt that grounds the battery to theh frame was a bit rusty and perhaps corroded a bit.

It gets worse...........

More next post:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alt_connect_wire_rip.jpg (29.6 KB, 2560 views)
Old 07-03-2004, 08:04 PM
TapperManor

pic2

pic2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg splice.jpg (32.4 KB, 147 views)
Old 07-03-2004, 08:04 PM
TapperManor

pic 3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bat_ground_bolt.jpg (41.6 KB, 147 views)
Old 07-03-2004, 08:07 PM
TapperManor

4)
The positive terminal wire, under the rubber protector, had a bunch of corrosion on it. I think this is the worst one? That would add some resistance wouldn't it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bat_positive_terminal.jpg (33.2 KB, 151 views)
Old 07-03-2004, 08:09 PM
TapperManor

5)
And lastly, here is the a gound wire that looks like it could be suspect. Maybe not, but here is a pic anyway:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bat_ground_terminal.jpg (23.9 KB, 143 views)
Old 07-03-2004, 08:15 PM
TapperManor

In pic 2, splice.jpg........

What is the connector in the upper right corner?? I started to undo it and it want ssssssssssssss! It looks like it goes to a radiator for cooling or AC. Is it OK to undo this? I need to take it off to get to the flat black plastic case that protects the wires that go over the alternator.

----------------------------

So does in pics 1 - 5 does everthing need replacement. I'm thinkin at least a new positive battery wire. And maybe a new alternator connector plug? What else?

Thanks for any and all opinions.

Tapper
Old 07-03-2004, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TapperManor
In pic 2, splice.jpg........

What is the connector in the upper right corner?? ...snip...

Thanks for any and all opinions.

Tapper
that is a freon line for the A/C compressor...not a good thing to take off unless you don't want A/C anymore without more work.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:33 AM
TapperManor

Thanks

I suspected it might be the freon line. Hopefully I didn't lert too much out when I loosened it. (Or too much air in?) It was only for a few seconds.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:46 AM

it's under pressure, so it's freon going out. only way to tell is if it still blows cold. if it does, no harm done.

on the various electrical wires. I personally would replace them although a good cleaning can do wonders and save a few $$. if you replace, try to find wire from a place like an audio shop where the copper wire strands have been individually tinned (silver looking vice the copper hue). that will make for a long life. alternate is to use regular copper, but to make sure you use something like liquid tape to seal up the ends from the air. replacing them with OEM is almost prohibitively expensive - have to buy the whole front loom.