Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-15-2004, 08:49 AM
Now with Colder Air!

Send a message via AIM to Amazonparrot Send a message via MSN to Amazonparrot
confuzzled...

Wait, why are the two last posters telling me two different things? If the front diff. can be replaced by itself, where can i find one, and how much should i expect to pay. Also, where would i get it done and how much of a labor charge am i looking at?
1992 Subaru SVX LS-L Ebony Mica: Custom Cold Air Intake, Smallcar Shift Kit, ECUtune Stage 1v4, Flowmaster Exhaust, UR underdrive pulley, 4.11 gears, iRotors Drilled and Slotted rotors, Axxis Brake Pads, 18" Enkei Wheels w/Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S, 20% Window Tinting, K&N Panel Filter, Rockford Fosgate Sound System w/XM Radio, Removed Intake Resonator *SOLD*

2003 Subaru WRX: 2003 Impreza WRX (Aspen White); Vishnu Stage II; IHI VF-34 Turbo; Walbro fuel pump, STi Injectors, Vishnu Up-pipe, Down-pipe and Signature 3" Cat-back; Samco Intercooler hoses; JIC Coilovers; STi A-arms; Whiteline swarbar bushings; Stoptech 13" rotors w/4-piston calipers; Braided Steel brake lines; 17" Rota Wheels with 225/45/17 Falken Azenis (R-Comp).
Charlottesville, VA Represent! (voted #1 place in America to live!)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?Amazonparrot
Old 03-15-2004, 09:13 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
first of all let me explain, the front differential bolts onto the transmission between the engine and transmission. to get to it the entire unit must be removed. If you search some junk yards you need to find an entire differential with a 3.70 gear ratio thats 10 teeth on the pinion and 37 on the ring. They should be a match, but i i stated before my tranny guy is a genious unlike myself and he gave me a set of gears that were not matched, and i have had no problems. you are looking to pay from the dealer around 400 dollars for a new ring and pinion that are matched. If you can find a junk yad with them, don't expect to pay more than 200 if they charge you more tell them to blow it out their hole. If you find a car in a junk yard, that has a differnet ratio like 4.11 you can use it, just make sure you get the rear differential gears also. This will make your car quite a bit faster also. The install is probobly where they are going to get you with the charge though, it is not the easiest job in the world to line up those gears. depending on where you live, i might be able to assist your project, i did my own under supervision for my mech to make sure i did mine right. let me know, and keep us posted on how your parts hunt is going.