Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Engine Management

Old 01-04-2013, 05:45 AM

Registered SVX
hydra nemesis

I've heard people on here swear by the HN ecu system but seems like everyone else I talked to...even the tuner for my obsti says they are garbage.

anyone care to way in?
Old 01-04-2013, 06:48 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: hydra nemesis

Garbage is a very relative and non-descriptive term. i will admit that after the initial dyno tune of my car after the YT rebuild, it had serious driveability issues, stalling, starting difficulty, hestitation prior to full warm-up, etc. However, after YT reprogammed the fuel and timing maps for cold and low rpm operation, the engine has performed very well. I think that the Hydra provides such complete control over engine operation that a very skilled tuner is requried. The default fuel air and timing maps may be inappropriate for many applications. The performance we achieved is undeniable, 246 WHP and over 200 lbs/ft of torque at the wheels between 3000 and 6200 rpm from a 3.3 ltr, NA streetable engine can't be sneezed at.

Gas mileage isn't wonderful, however.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 01-04-2013, 08:27 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Couldn't find anyone in a three state raduis who'd tune it. Mike at Innovative (2-2.5 hours away) said he'd hook me up with dyno time, but he didn't have any interest in touching it.

This may weigh into your decision!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

These guys are listed on the the Hydra website, but some posts on another forum suggest they dont have an AWD dyno.

Planet Motorsport
Email: iain@planetmotorsport.com
Tel: 519-826-0311

This shop did my work. The certainly got the power out of it, but left me with an engine that would hardly run except at full throttle.

Precision Tuning
Email: info@precisiontuning.com
Tel: 732-942-0020

There there is Vinny Ten, the import drag racing god, builder of the world's first 6 second 1/4 mile Nissan and the worlds fastest Toyota Supra:

Vinny Ten Racing (Nissan 350Z and G35 exclusive)
Email: vinny@vinnytenracing.com
Tel: 631-414-7590

the Hydra must be OK for his purposes.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

Old 01-04-2013, 12:32 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Wow... never knew it was that difficult to deal with. I was honestly planning to install one on my car, but now I am starting to doubt it.

Why should gas mileage be bad? Isn't a standalone supposed to deal efficiently with all variables of the engine?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Wow... never knew it was that difficult to deal with. I was honestly planning to install one on my car, but now I am starting to doubt it.
Not simple for an SVX because there is really no baseline fuel/air/timing map for the Hydra for this engine. There are out of the box kits for STI's, 350Z's, etc. These will need dyno tuning to extract the best out of the engine, but the baseline maps for start, idle, cold running, etc are probably pretty good. Those don't exist for the EG33, just some generic maps, that may not yield the kind of driveability characteristics you would like to see. YT sat there with his laptop, with the wideband O2 sensor plugged in, modifying fuel air and timing maps, then checking how they affected starting, idle, etc. Trial and error business by someone who knows what he is doing.

Quote:
Why should gas mileage be bad? Isn't a standalone supposed to deal efficiently with all variables of the engine?
You don't get somethin for nuttin. I'm making 40% more horsepower, makes sense I would be using 40% more gas. Also, the engine runs richer to improve driveability with the big cam overlap and very ligh lift.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:25 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Tuning for low rpm, startup, and regular driveability is not so easy, as I'm finding out with the Megasquirt programming. Maybe more difficult than tuning just for max power. The hydra evades the wiring difficulty, though, which is a good thing.

My advice would be to make sure that you have someone close by who can tune it for you before you buy one. And collect as many maps as you can to start with.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 01-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Registered fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Tuning for low rpm, startup, and regular driveability is not so easy, as I'm finding out with the Megasquirt programming. Maybe more difficult than tuning just for max power.
Such a true statement. I got to see a master Motec tuner work his magic on a Porsche 911 race car. Spent 20 minutes on the dyno and got his max power number. Spent the next 8 hours dialing in the driveability and torque curves. Doesn't matter what the ECU is, time is time.

EG33 Impreza tweaks
Old 01-04-2013, 05:50 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyBob View Post
Such a true statement. I got to see a master Motec tuner work his magic on a Porsche 911 race car. Spent 20 minutes on the dyno and got his max power number. Spent the next 8 hours dialing in the driveability and torque curves. Doesn't matter what the ECU is, time is time.
It is pretty daunting, and I haven't even gotten to that part yet with the megasquirt. Still trying to get the wiring and basic settings just right so I can get some actual tuning done. I really hope it pays off...
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 01-04-2013, 08:39 PM

The Hydra system is by no means garbage. Its more like, the fear of the unknown by tuners. If you are used to a certain system, ie setting up, tuning, wiring, fuel maps etc. They clearly anything else is garbage in your eyes. The hydra system is Highly tunable. Granted, ANY fuel injection system takes a steep learning curve to get correct. Keep in mind that some people train and configure ecu's for YEARS before they get One system down pat. If you have never used Hydra before, it can be overwhelming.
In the end, its all just fuel maps and o2 sensor configurations. It takes time, effort, testing and more testing to get things just right. Its not like a carburetor or throttle body injection. Its an exact amount of metered fuel per cylinder, exact spark timing all of which have to change depending on engine load, engine temperature, altitude and ambient air temperature. Not for faint of heart.