SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Out Driving and Revieiwing

Registered SVX
New 1997 SVX Owner from up North

Hello everyone,

My name is Mike and I am from Oakville, Ontario Canada (Just outside Toronto). I just picked up a 1997 Subaru SVX LSi last week. It is black and in great shape. Interior has hardly an imperfection and the exterior has very little rust on it. Car has (123,000km) (76,000 mi) on it and runs great.

My previous vehicle was a 2010 Subaru WRX Limited which I jumped out of my lease from since I rarely drove it. I am an automotive journalist up here in Canada and am in a different car every week so the WRX was driven once a week at most.

The SVX will also be parked most days at various manufacturers head offices but that should help keep the mileage low, right

Anyway, I am heavily involved in charity road rallies and am the owner of www.rallynorthamerica.com. Basically 80 cars drive for 3 days through historic parts of the US on a sort of scavenger hunt all for charity
(and partying and to make new friends) Last year we did Rally Appalachia through Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive

And two years ago it was Route 66

I caught the road rally bug after attending the start line for a Bullrun event 3 years ago in my RX-8 and a group of friends and I thought "Hey, we could do one of these for the average Joe and safely" So we did.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:15 PM

Registered SVX
Re: New 1997 SVX Owner from up North

Anyway, since I bought my car on consignment, it was not cleaned up. Once I receive a few aftermarket parts I bought for it, I will clean it up good and post some better non-blackberry-crappy photos. But for now

Old 03-08-2012, 07:40 PM

Registered SVX

congrats man. looks nice.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:28 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Is that the one that was on Kijiji? Hell of a deal!
If I didn't already have a '97 that one would have been on my radar.

P.S. I paid $1000.00 for mine

Last edited by Blacky; 03-08-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:33 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
Is that the one that was on Kijiji? Hell of a deal!
Yup. 3rd one I drove. First one was mechanically great, but body and interior were rough. 2nd one I test drove I blew the radiator and got stranded; plus the rear diff was shot.

This one was just perfect for the price
Old 03-08-2012, 09:01 PM

Registered SVX

Very nice, Mike, and welcome to the 51 club!

Rod.
'97 Ebony LSi #426, CDM (1 of 51 in '97), 185k km, rebuilt engine & transfer case; 22mm Bontrager RSB; 4300k HID 9006 bulbs SOLD
'92 Ebony LS-L #6851, USDM (sold)
'08 Forester (wife's)
'06 STi (traded for the Forester)
'94 Legacy wagon (sold)
Old 03-09-2012, 01:38 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Good looking! Please tell us of your perception of the SVX compared to the more sporty rally cars whenever you have something to say about that
I'm ready to f...
Old 03-09-2012, 08:05 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboy View Post
Good looking! Please tell us of your perception of the SVX compared to the more sporty rally cars whenever you have something to say about that
Well so far, here are my findings:

-The SVX sits low. I knew this going in, but compared to my WRX I can't believe how low the car is. I love the the 1990's low/wide stance
-Power is obviously less then the WRX since the car is much heavier and less powerful. However, being a N/A 6 the delivery is much smoother. It feels like easing on the thrust in the SVX compared to the exploding rocket of the WRX. The RX-8 was slower than both.
-With the 205/55R16 winters on the car right now handling is not great. The steering is heavy and linear which I love, but the car plows into the corners. I had a thick rear-sway bar on the WRX to help neutralize the handling (more like the RX-8) and that helped greatly. Is there a rear sway bar mod for the SVX? I haven' searched yet. Having said that, the SVX is a 20 year old design and not many cars handled back then the way cars do now thanks in part to improvements in tire technology. When I get summer tires in the spring I plan to go to 225 width on either 17's or 18's. That might help.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:54 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mike View Post

-The SVX sits low. I knew this going in, but compared to my WRX I can't believe how low the car is. I love the the 1990's low/wide stance
-Power is obviously less then the WRX since the car is much heavier and less powerful. However, being a N/A 6 the delivery is much smoother. It feels like easing on the thrust in the SVX compared to the exploding rocket of the WRX. The RX-8 was slower than both.
-With the 205/55R16 winters on the car right now handling is not great. The steering is heavy and linear which I love, but the car plows into the corners. I had a thick rear-sway bar on the WRX to help neutralize the handling (more like the RX-8) and that helped greatly. Is there a rear sway bar mod for the SVX? I haven' searched yet. Having said that, the SVX is a 20 year old design and not many cars handled back then the way cars do now thanks in part to improvements in tire technology. When I get summer tires in the spring I plan to go to 225 width on either 17's or 18's. That might help.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58746

That is the one mod that we do have

Very nice car. Looks vaguely familiar...
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 03-09-2012, 09:10 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58746

That is the one mod that we do have

Very nice car. Looks vaguely familiar...
Sweet! I will be picking up one of those soon. Wish I didn't spend so much money on visual mods yesterday.....
Old 03-09-2012, 09:24 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mike View Post

Yes, I'm on 225/50 spiked winters now and can't wait to mount the Pilot Exaltos. I found the steering to be very good but haven't driven any good cars before I will primarily upgrade the bushings hoping I can still retain comfort and stiffness at the same time.

Jumping into my mother in law's Avensis sedan gives me SUV vertigo when I've driven the SVX.
I'm ready to f...