How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-18-2010, 04:10 PM

Bad trans or possibly something else?

Hi,
I just picked up a 92 pearlie with a bad transmission, amongst plenty of other issues. It has been sitting for 4 years, since the tranny went.
I fired it up and of course went through the gears.
I got it to go forward, but the engine starts bogging down. Even flooring the gas pedal the rpms never go over 1000. I only did this in the driveway, so I never even went fast enough to make the speedo move.
In R, it acts like its in neutral. I do hear a rattle, but nothing else happens.
This is a rebuilt transmission with about 15K on it before he parked it. He said he was doing 80 on the highway and heard a clunk, rolled it off, had it towed and it never moved until now. Thats all he could tell me about it. He knows nothing about mechanics, so he wasn't able to shed any light on it. He did however give me the $4700 reciept from aamco from the transmission job.
Should I just put another tranny in it? Are there things I should check before giving up on this one? Could it be a bad tourque converter? Any insight would be great. Thanks!
-Jon
Old 09-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Bad trans or possibly something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnycash View Post
Hi,
I just picked up a 92 pearlie with a bad transmission, amongst plenty of other issues. It has been sitting for 4 years, since the tranny went.
I fired it up and of course went through the gears.
I got it to go forward, but the engine starts bogging down. Even flooring the gas pedal the rpms never go over 1000. I only did this in the driveway, so I never even went fast enough to make the speedo move.
In R, it acts like its in neutral. I do hear a rattle, but nothing else happens.
This is a rebuilt transmission with about 15K on it before he parked it. He said he was doing 80 on the highway and heard a clunk, rolled it off, had it towed and it never moved until now. Thats all he could tell me about it. He knows nothing about mechanics, so he wasn't able to shed any light on it. He did however give me the $4700 reciept from aamco from the transmission job.
Should I just put another tranny in it? Are there things I should check before giving up on this one? Could it be a bad tourque converter? Any insight would be great. Thanks!
-Jon
Jon if it was replaced 15k ago, it should not be a worn out problem. It would seem to be a breakage problem. It could be the front diff, transfer gears, or the freewheel clutches may have disintergrated.
Doubt it is the torque converter. Guess the box will have to come out to see.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:35 PM

You could try putting the FWD fuse in and seeing if that changes anything, but if there's no reverse gear at all I'm guessing you'll need a new tranny or a rebuild.

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 09-19-2010, 07:34 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

If it only had 15K on it, he should have had it repaired under warranty.
It shouldn't be terminal with that low mileage on it.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:17 AM

If it's been sitting for 4 years, there's probably no warranty remaining.

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 09-19-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
If it only had 15K on it, he should have had it repaired under warranty.
It shouldn't be terminal with that low mileage on it.
it was 15K, but the time was up on the warrenty. I know the exact aamco he went to, and this is not the first case of something like this from them. They are now gone. Got a probe from a friend with almost the same scenario.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:43 PM

Got it home today. Found out that it won't even roll backwards. It will drive forward, but it's not happy about it. Out with the bad!
Old 09-19-2010, 02:10 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

My Ebony has a rebuilt transmission from AAMCO also. It was leaking badly at the flywheel when I bought it and they fixed it under warranty before the ownership was transferred into my name.
I've heard a lot of horror stories about them.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:50 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Got it home today. Found out that it won't even roll backwards. It will drive forward, but it's not happy about it. Out with the bad!
Sounds like a front diff just by what's been described. On my laguna (granted it is fwd) the spider gears were fubar and everything would jam itself together to work in reverse, but forward would just rattle like hell. Just a though
Old 09-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

You may want to check out my website for the partial rebuilt transmission option. I can also just replace your ring and pinion if that is what it is. They aren't too expensive. A new ring and pinion run about $400 from the dealer. A subaru dealer should also have the tools necessary to replace a ring and pinion. If it's the side gears you might be able to get away with a lesser shop repairing your differential by propperly marking the side plates and just returning it to it's original set up.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:17 AM

Quote:
it was 15K, but the time was up on the warrenty. I know the exact aamco he went to, and this is not the first case of something like this from them. They are now gone. Got a probe from a friend with almost the same scenario.
Aamco has always been bad news...

Keith
Old 10-23-2010, 04:01 PM

Well,
I finally had a chance to start working on this car.
With the front wheels off the ground, I turned one 2 full revolutions in both directions. The other wheel turned the opposite way, everything felt smooth, and there were no sounds coming from it.
I then drain the the gear oil from the diff... It was thin like engine oil. So, I smelled it, smelled like engine oil. There were some small dust like metal particles, but nothing that seemed to concerning.
Then, I drained the trans fluid. Again, looked smelled and felt like engine oil. Also had small particles, same as diff. no chunks of metal. I then pulled the pan, and found one of the bolts for the filter in it. I then pulled the filter, and it looks nice and clean.
If the diff and trans were filled with engine oil, do you think a flush and refill would help, or is this thing toast?
Thanks again for the input.