SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-27-2010, 06:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to ykobayashi
Registered SVX
Rough Idle

All,

Been fighting a rough idle for about a year now. I was getting a CEL and I jumped the ECU and figured out that the light was the O2 sensor on driver side so I immediately replaced it. I then started it up got another CEL, jumped ECU again and found that it was a bad knock sensor. I replaced both of those and started up the car. Still runs rough, now with no CEL.

I tried seafoaming the car to no avail. I have been using gas treatment and stabilizer in the tank. I checked to see if maybe faulty spark plug wiring or a grounded plug, nothing of the sort.

The engine runs like it has a vacuum hose undone. I've checked everything but nothing seems to be undone. The car shakes and there is a "putt putt putt" coming from the exhaust. Last ditch effort is that I have not changed #6 plug during the last plug change and perhaps the plug is fouled up? I doubt it as the car has just over 60k on the clock and the others were clean when I pulled them a year ago (l've put less than 1000 miles on the car since)

Anyone have ANY ideas? I am running out of alternatives, help!

Thanks,

Yoshi

[B]1995 SVX L AWD - Original Owner
65k - Brilliant Red
Mods: K&N Drop In Filter, Sony aftermarket CD/MP3 Stereo and Speakers, Sumitomo HTR+ Tires

2004 Mazda 6S 5-door - Steel Grey - 5 speed manual transmission - Daily Driver

2011 Mazda CX-9 - Wife's ride

Last edited by ykobayashi; 04-27-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:05 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Rough Idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykobayashi View Post
All,

Been fighting a rough idle for about a year now. I was getting a CEL and I jumped the ECU and figured out that the light was the O2 sensor on driver side so I immediately replaced it. I then started it up got another CEL, jumped ECU again and found that it was a bad knock sensor. I replaced both of those and started up the car. Still runs rough, now with no CEL.

I tried seafoaming the car to no avail. I have been using gas treatment and stabilizer in the tank. I checked to see if maybe faulty spark plug wiring or a grounded plug, nothing of the sort.

The engine runs like it has a vacuum hose undone. I've checked everything but nothing seems to be undone. The car shakes and there is a "putt putt putt" coming from the exhaust. Last ditch effort is that I have not changed #6 plug during the last plug change and perhaps the plug is fouled up? I doubt it as the car has just over 60k on the clock and the others were clean when I pulled them a year ago (l've put less than 1000 miles on the car since)

Anyone have ANY ideas? I am running out of alternatives, help!

Thanks,

Yoshi
The vacuum leak is likely. Get a piece of hose as a stethoscope, one end to your ear, poke the other end around under the manifold, to hear any hissing sounds, where the leak may be.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:29 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Rough Idle

FYI: A common vacuum leak occurs under the manifold between the alternator and PS pump it's an S-shaped hose. Another occurs at the opening to the TB from improperly installing the intake hose. Did you try resetting the ECU after changing the sensors you mentioned. Also, do you run a K&N air filter?

I saw you do use a K&N, try cleaning your MAF Sensor

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel

Last edited by michael; 04-27-2010 at 08:33 PM. Reason: more content