How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-25-2002, 02:28 AM
CopsodyX

Gas question...

Who has used gas under 91 octane in their SVX?

- How did it run?

- Was it slower?

- Did it stall?

- Was there a lot of knocking?

- Was it any less smooth?

- Were there any long term effects?

I'm just trying to diagnose a problem listed in a previous thread, but wanted this specific question to have its own topic.

Oh, and which "good gas" do you prefer?

Please note your year and mileage of SVX.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-25-2002, 07:28 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Gas

The SVXs computer componsates for the poor gas. Mine has run pretty much the same the few times that I used sub 91 octane gas but I wouldn't recommend it for long term use. I personally use Sunoco 94 octane in mine b/c its a quality brand name, my SVX gets better mileage with it and the company is a whole lot less evil than Exxon/Mobil. Granted it has ethynol in it but nearly every gas in PA has it now.
Old 09-25-2002, 07:55 AM
Green1995SVX

Re: Gas

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
The SVXs computer componsates for the poor gas. Mine has run pretty much the same the few times that I used sub 91 octane gas but I wouldn't recommend it for long term use. I personally use Sunoco 94 octane in mine b/c its a quality brand name, my SVX gets better mileage with it and the company is a whole lot less evil than Exxon/Mobil. Granted it has ethynol in it but nearly every gas in PA has it now.
I run bp 93. It is the closest brand-name gas station to me. (With the exception of Exxon/Mobil.) I stay away from them because of the same "evil" factor.

Mike
Old 09-25-2002, 07:56 AM
Green1995SVX

oh, and I have never run anything under 92 on my SVX.

Mike
Old 09-25-2002, 08:06 AM

Correction Mike

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
oh, and I have never run anything under 92 on my SVX.

Mike

Didn't you mean to say you have never run anything that was labeled as under 92 on your svx? Ever see how often the Bureau of Weights and Measurements checks up on gas stations?
Old 09-25-2002, 09:41 AM
$VX

What's evil about Mobil?

- Ca$h
Old 09-25-2002, 10:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to Paisan Send a message via Yahoo to Paisan
I run Exxon/Mobil cause I get a 2% discount through my corp card Oh well 2% is 2%

-mike
Old 09-25-2002, 01:10 PM

What's evil about Mobil

Ever here of the Exxon Valdez? Mobil is Exxon and vice versa. Granted any oil company is going to be somewhat enviromentally evil it goes with the business but Exxon/Mobil is blatantly irresponsible both enviromentally, politically and businesswise. They are very active in price fixing and price speculation, they give money only where their interests lie (have never to my knowledge worked to set up alt fuel filling stations i.e. natural gas at their current stations), they shirk clean up responsibilites when they do have accidents- taxpayers paid for 3/4th of the Valdez cleanup b/c it was cheaper to line the pockets of the Republican party (ruling party at the time).

Plus, in my opinion, their gas isn't real good for Subies. On the 5 that I've owned, Hess or Sunoco give me the best in both perfomance and mileage. Heck, I get better mileage with Sheetz gas then I do Exxon.
Old 09-25-2002, 02:40 PM
$VX

Huh. Weird. I just like Mobil for a few reasons:

1. They make the best oil
2. Their gas stations are always impecably clean
3. I got higher MPG in the neon with mobil gas than any other gas.

- Ca$h
Old 09-25-2002, 02:59 PM

Mobil miles

Bet'cha your neon that isn't the case with your svx though.
Old 09-25-2002, 07:18 PM
CopsodyX

Re: Gas

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
Umm...mine has run for the first 10 years of its life on 89. Car gets 11 MPG, drives okay, is a little rough, and seems to run the same with 87 or 94. Any clues?
Old 09-25-2002, 07:38 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

About twice a year the gas question comes up. So for new members I'll just restate what I've done with about 45 years of fill-ups. 1. Never use less than the called-for octane. 2. Try to fill the tank when the gauge hits the 1/4 full level. Don't want the car sitting in humidity risking accumulating moisture in the tank (This could be a myth, however). 3. Use any brand of gas you want. I buy the cheapest hi-octane I can find, from a high volume station & mix brands often. Recently Citgo built a station 2 minutes from where I work. 93 octane is a nickle cheaper than Costco had it. On trips I'll buy Sheetz, Wawa, or whatever. I've never had a carburetor or fuel injection problem in any a dozen cars I've had. With the SVX I've run two cans of Chevron Pro-Gard injector cleaner through it in a year & a half just for the halibut, & because Aredub says it's OK.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.