How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-02-2008, 11:55 AM

Windshield Wiper Help

Hello
I'm having trouble with my windshield wipers. The driver side is barely moving, when it goes up its hits into the right one. I have tried resetting them but they still hit into each other, after they hit each other they get tangled up with each other. The passenger side wiper seems fine, just that its hitting the driver side one. Remeber the driver side one barely moves when it does it goes half way and then hits the other wiper, the passenger one works fine. Does anyone know what i need to do. Thanks

Last edited by dutchno2; 03-02-2008 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Missed some info
Old 03-02-2008, 03:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
check to see if the teeth at the base of the wiper blade arms are still in good shape first. You should also check the linkage under the plastic cover... run the wipers with the plastic cover off to see if there are any problems with the linkage... and post your findings!
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 03-02-2008, 04:12 PM

The blades were just replaced about a week or 2 ago. I dont understand what you mean with "You should also check the linkage under the plastic cover... run the wipers with the plastic cover off to see if there are any problems with the linkage". I just tried them again and the driver side one is not even moving now, so the passenger blade just goes right over. I dont really know anything about cars. Sorry. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:16 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
At the base of the wiper arms is a plastic cap. Pop it off and you will see a bolt. Remove that bolt and you'll be able to pull off the wiper arm and see a toothed gear. Check if the teeth are still there, as well as the teeth in the wiper arm. If they're not then that's your problem. If they are then there's something wrong with the wiper transmission, which is under the plastic piece at the base of the windshield.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 03-02-2008, 04:47 PM

Ok i checked the teeth under the nut, their there but well worn. I have not checked the teeth in the wiper arm dew to its dark outside. If its something with the wiper transmission is that an easy fix or alot of $. Also i think the reason this may be doing this is because we got snow the other day. I cleaned the window off before doing anything but i think i missed some at the bottem, because only the passenger one moved. Also i forgot to say that the passenger side teeth are in better shape than the drivers side.

Last edited by dutchno2; 03-02-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Try moving the wiper by hand. If the arm just moves and the teeth don't grab, that's the problem. If the teeth/gears hold and the inner part moves with the wiper, the transmission is toast.

subaruparts.com lists the transmission, or "wiper link assembly" at $137.19. The geared part is $63.51, and a new arm is $30.44. There are people here with car's they're parting out, so you may be able to get all the parts from one of them for significantly less.

2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos

Old 03-02-2008, 06:05 PM

I'll check all this tomorrow, but if the transmission is toast why would only the driver side not be moving wont both be finished.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Here's the parts diagram:

Part #11 could have broken, and the spot where it connects to the drivers side arm linkage might have slipped off, which would let the pass side continue working, but not the driver's side.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:05 PM

Well i got them to work right. It turned out to be nothing. When i reset them the first time i most have did something wrong because i tried it again and they work fine. If it was not for your guys help i would have not checked them again. Thanks again for all the help.