How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-11-2004, 01:55 PM
sgabbard

Tranny Problems Needing Attention – Questions

Spring is near and I’m planning my maintenance items on the SVX. A couple things that need attention:

Problem 1: Some of you may recall me posting (late last year) a severe knocking problem that turned out to be a couple loose bolts that hold an anodized plate on the engine side of the fly wheel – flex plate I believe in Subaru lingo. One bolt fell out and was stuck in the bell housing – causing the dreadful sound. I was able to replace those bolts through the access window behind the throttle body - No problem. The problem is that the anodized plate the four bolts hold on (still not sure what that is called) developed two hair-line cracks from the excessive vibration, and it needs to be replaced. Question: How hard is that to do? What is that called and how much are they approximately? I can stick a tranny, but if this is a major undertaking, I might farm it out.

Problem 2: On occasions, the sensor that tells the shifter that the brake is depressed, allowing you to move out of park into gear, is not sensing. Or, the shifter is not getting the message. Is this a common problem? Where is the switch located? Also, possibly related, on occasion it will not start. Some juggling of the shifter seems to help it decide to do so. Same sensor?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
1) Yes I believe you are correct in the term "Flexplate" describing the item. In order to gain access to that i believe the easiest way is to pull the tranny. If you dont like that route you can pull the engine but i think the tranny was way easier than the engine. Either way if it needs to be replaced maybe you can just seperate the tranny and not have to pull it out all the way??? Just a suggestion. 2) Sorry dont know whats wrong here.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:54 PM
red95svx

#2 sounds like a Shift Lock Solenoid. It's not very common to see one go bad, but it does happen. It's located directly under the shifter assembly. I believe it gets its signal from the brake light switch. The shift lock solenoid does two things: prevents the shifter from moving out of PARK unless the brake pedal is pressed, and prevents the engine from starting unless the shifter is in PARK. So it's very possible that the soleniod is causing both of the problems you encountered.

Dave

Last edited by red95svx; 03-11-2004 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:55 AM
Mountaineer

Send a message via AIM to AppStateSVX
Quote:
Originally posted by red95svx
#2 sounds like a Shift Lock Solenoid. It's not very common to see one go bad, but it does happen. It's located directly under the shifter assembly. I believe it gets its signal from the brake light switch. The shift lock solenoid does two things: prevents the shifter from moving out of PARK unless the brake pedal is pressed, and prevents the engine from starting unless the shifter is in PARK. So it's very possible that the soleniod is causing both of the problems you encountered.

Dave

Hey guys, I'm starting to have this same problem, About how much does it cost to fix it?

1991 Toyota MR2 - Sold 11/27/07

1992 BMW 325i
- Tokicko Suspension
Old 06-28-2004, 02:17 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
If it is the shift lock solenoid, I've got an extra one from my AT shifter assembly which I no longer need.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:32 PM
SVX Appeal

Replacing the flex plate usually requires pulling either the engine or transmission, but sometimes a clever mechanic can just separate the two and do the swap through the gap between them. Usually it's a million times easier to just remove the transmission, as it probably is in this case.

If the flex plate truly is starting to crack as you say, don't dally too long. I've heard rumours of some flex plates where having small cracks is normal, but if it breaks, and it's probably just a matter of time, it can do ugly things. Frequently it does no damage, but not always.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:21 PM
Mountaineer

Send a message via AIM to AppStateSVX
Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko
If it is the shift lock solenoid, I've got an extra one from my AT shifter assembly which I no longer need.

If that is what is really wrong with mine, how much would you want for it?

1991 Toyota MR2 - Sold 11/27/07

1992 BMW 325i
- Tokicko Suspension