How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-18-2004, 11:26 AM

Send a message via ICQ to IwantaSVX Send a message via AIM to IwantaSVX
Which Clutch???

I'm shopping ahead for a clutch for my 5spd swap. I've come up with a few different choices.

ACT:

SB2HD00--304 ft-lb--$411 (I believe this is the ACT that people on here recommend and Subaru Parts sells).

SB2HDR4--401 ft-lb--$395 (Heavy Duty Pressure Plate w/ 4 Pad Race Disc Kit - (quick engagement; for race cars)

SB2HDR6--401 ft-lb--$411 (Heavy Duty Pressure Plate w/ 6 Pad Race Disc Kit - (quick engagement; for race cars)

http://www.clutchcityonline.com/ACT/subaru.htm

Spec:

Stage 2 SU072 355 ft-lb--$429 (High clamp pressure plate with kevlar disc)

Stage 3 SU073 405 ft-lb--$439 (High-clamp pressure plate with race disk)

Stage 4 SU074-6 405 ft-lb--$459 (High-clamp pressure plate with 6-pad rigid disk - (quick engagement; for race cars)

Stage 4 SU076-3 405 ft-lb--$459 (High-clamp pressure plate with 3-pad rigid disk - (quick engagement; for race cars)

http://www.clutchcityonline.com/spec/subaru.htm
Old 04-18-2004, 11:30 AM

I'm looking for opinions. Judging from the options...I am liking the Spec Stage 3 or 4. The Stage 3 seems more like a street clutch compared to the 4. I just want something that will be able to handle the SVX 3.3L
Old 04-18-2004, 11:47 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
I recommend against a puck-style clutch disk. These are generally not meant to be slipped. They are hard on the transmission (which is the real weak link) and a PITA to use on a daily basis because they are difficult to slip. Ask GreenMarine about his experience with a six-puck kevlar disk.

You can't go wrong with an organic full-circle disk. They are easy to use and have more than enough strength to hold a mildly tuned EG33 (and likely even a NOS equipped EG33). Your real concern should be that Legacy tranny. Its the weak link.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:51 PM

So, which clutch set would you recommend? I'm just worried about the torque rating....I mean the 3.3L puts out around 300 or more ft-lbs. I see the ACT clutch most people seem to be using is only rated at 304 ft-lbs.

I'm either leaning towards a Stage 2 or 3 Spec clutch set. Can anyone comment on the differences? I mean for $10 more the Stage 3 has the higher torque rating but the difference is it comes with a race disc...which should still be a full circle disc.

Now I have it narrowed down to:

Stage 2 SU072 355 ft-lb--$429 (High clamp pressure plate with kevlar disc)

Stage 3 SU073 405 ft-lb--$439 (High-clamp pressure plate with race disk)
Old 04-18-2004, 02:28 PM
sans SVX

A stock SVX motor puts out 228 ft-lbs or torque, so any of the clutches you listed are more than adequate. The only concern should be nitrous. Even then, it shouldn't be too much of a worry. The stock WRX clutch has a clamping force similar to the the clutch you listed with the organic disc, and lots of people are driving modified WRXes with stock clutches.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 04-18-2004, 05:47 PM

haha....BRAIN FART...

I was thinking of my Thunderbird Super Coupes.....god do I miss that 315 ft-lbs......Now that I'm back on track...I guess any of those would be adequate.

Thanks so much.
Old 04-18-2004, 05:58 PM
Green1995SVX

I have a spec stage 2. Couldnt be happier. Very smooth, no slippage. have 4000 miles on the clutch
Old 04-18-2004, 10:40 PM

So, I have a few other questions for those who have done this.

I'm using a transmission from a 1990 Subaru Legacy.

I need to know if I'll need to obtain the Legacy Starter or if my SVX starter will bolt up????

My SVX driveshaft is the one-piece (with the DOJ center joint) which I've read is not possible to lengthen since it does not come apart to be put in a lathe.

I think I'm going to try to located a componet SVX driveshaft so I can have the front section lengthened.

I need to know how long to have the front section lengthened (???) because I want to take the shaft and the rear end to a shop and get those started while I put everything else together...and I've read 2" & 2-3/8"

Whats the easiest way to take care of the rear crossmember? I'm liking Mike's crossmember. Anyone else do something different?

Thanks
Old 04-18-2004, 11:52 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by IwantaSVX

Whats the easiest way to take care of the rear crossmember? I'm liking Mike's crossmember. Anyone else do something different?

Thanks
There's quite a few variants out there. There was a thread on it recently, and some people posted links to pics of the x-members they designed/used. There's lots of nice designs out there, but mine's the best [:-)].

Visit my locker

Old 04-19-2004, 09:36 AM
Still a member

Send a message via ICQ to strange179 Send a message via AIM to strange179 Send a message via Yahoo to strange179
Quote:
So, I have a few other questions for those who have done this.

I need to know if I'll need to obtain the Legacy Starter or if my SVX starter will bolt up????

You will need to use the Legecy starter. Or, I think that any 5-speed starter of similar vintage would work.
Quote:

My SVX driveshaft is the one-piece (with the DOJ center joint) which I've read is not possible to lengthen since it does not come apart to be put in a lathe.

I think I'm going to try to located a componet SVX driveshaft so I can have the front section lengthened.

I need to know how long to have the front section lengthened (???) because I want to take the shaft and the rear end to a shop and get those started while I put everything else together...and I've read 2" & 2-3/8"

You should read through my 5-Speed install thread. especailly the second page. A lot of your questions are answered in it. You can find it here:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...threadid=11457

Also, feel free to IM, email, or PM me with questions. it sounds like your swap is essentially the same as mine.

You should check with Earthworm for info on how he did his crossmember mounting. I wish I'd done mine his way.

Good Luck,
Jay

Black '92 LSl 270Kmi 5MT (W00t! for 1/4 million on 4/27/07)
Laguna Blue '94 L about 130Kmi (I think) for parts, in storage
previous: Green '92 LSl 253Kmi 5MT (sold to ron post moose adventure, sold to someone else)
previous: Maroon '92 LSl 130Kmi +- (sold to Ron, mashed by moose, crushed)
Black '89 XT6 5spd AWD (storage)
Old 04-19-2004, 09:41 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:

Thanks
You'll need the starter for a manual tranny.

The drive shaft needs the front half legthened 2"
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"