How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2004, 06:59 PM

Will the 6-speed WRX STi trans fit in our SVXs

Any tech info about weather the 6-speed WRX STi trans will fit in our SVXs as the 5-speed WRX does?
Old 03-20-2004, 07:20 PM
I live in a drawer!

Send a message via AIM to alex_umn
Any of the STi six speeds will physically fit into our cars and on to the back of the SVX's engine. However, transmissions like that in the US WRX STi have what is called a Driver Controlled Center Differential (DCCD), for which you'll have to get the control unit and mount it somewhere in the interior. While nifty, the DCCD would mean more complexity and cost, with questionable benefit.

Another thing you could look in to is whether the new five speeds in the Legacy GT turbo, Forester XT, etc, may have a stronger case and soforth. If those transmissions last with the new 2.5 L turbo engines, I can't see any reasons to spend so much for a six speed. You can read about a lot of transmission information in the Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline forum at the aforementioned http://www.nasioc.com site.

Hope this helps...

2000 Specialized RockHopper A1 FS, converted to singlespeed 36:15.

I like my cars with too many gears and my bikes with too few...
Old 03-20-2004, 07:42 PM

Thanks much... I'm gearing up for manual conversion...but I wanted to duplicate the final drive ratio the auto trans has (80mph@ 2500rpm). The WRX 5-speed (5 gear.738 & 3.90 final drive) I've been tracking (ex. GreenMarine) have been producing 3000rpm@ 80mph. I was getting 30+ mpg with the auto (.611 end drive gear). So if (when) I go for the conversion I prob. go with a taller tire to reduce my final drive ratio.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:25 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Suggestion - do a search of this site using 6 speed or 5 speed as your search criteria. There was a thread not too long ago that compared the actual ratios achieved by the 5 spd and the 6 spd. I seem to remember that the 6 speed really didn't offer a significant advantage, especially given the premium price it is still commanding.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 03-20-2004, 09:30 PM

Thanks much!!!.....svxhunter just gave me the link you mentioned. The info was greatly helpful. The 5-speed is the most cost effective way to go!
Old 03-21-2004, 08:36 AM
I live in a drawer!

Send a message via AIM to alex_umn
The six speeds for some markets have taller fifth and sixth gear ratios, which put them somewhat in line with the ratio spread of the five speed WRX.

Check my personal locker...there is an Excel spreadsheet in there showing what speeds you will see at what engine speed with the taller ratios...

2000 Specialized RockHopper A1 FS, converted to singlespeed 36:15.

I like my cars with too many gears and my bikes with too few...
Old 03-23-2004, 10:12 AM

The US and Euro 6spds have the same ratios, and 6th gear is shorter than 5th in the WRX. Also Euro 6spds or some of them dont have DCCD.