How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-02-2004, 05:45 PM
The Molinator

TIRE Wear ???

How many miles should I get on a YOKOHAMA AVS db 225 50 16. I've been getting maybe 25,000 if I'm lucky!

How about the Hankook Ventus 102 someone suggested at size 245 45 16 that I'd like to try?

2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 03-02-2004, 09:13 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
I have about 28K on mine, & it looks like I'll be able squeeze another 8-10K from 'em before they become racing slicks. For the last year I've been running about 4 lbs over recommended pressure.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:28 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Hi Scott I wore out a set early because I ran the tire pressure too low. Should have been using 38/34 f/r.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:34 AM
mark10t

Ouch!

I was seriously considering the Yoko AVS dB's to replace my worn out summer 'shoes' shortly, but if they are only good for 25-30,000 mi's. , that's a little too 'early wearing' for my taste. I usually like to see about 40-50,000 mi's on a set of tires.

I was primarily looking towards the dB's because of the favorable comments and extra-low noise I've heard about them. Early wear is a serious strike against them if it's true.

My alternates would be another set of Nitto NT450's or the Toyo Prox's, or ??

Any further feedback?

-Mark
Old 03-03-2004, 11:43 PM

I have about 20k on my Cooper Cobra GTH's, and I still have alot of tread left on them.

1998 Acura Integra LS 74k Sold 1/07
2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 .04k!
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 4x4 TRD Sport
Old 03-04-2004, 02:56 AM
SVX Appeal

Wow. You guys get a lot of miles out of your tires. Traction is inversely proportional to tread life. I'm a big fan of traction - can never get enough. I haven't put many miles on my SVX, but I only get 10k on my Honda tires before they're due. That's about a set per year for me.

If your tires don't last long, I wouldn't complain. Unless it was an alignment or pressure problem, they were probably very sticky miles...sticky, and safe. Traction is probably the most important safety feature as well as performance improvement. (I think I mentioned in another post that my wet-braking with my Michelin Pilots is equal to my dry-braking with my old Toyos.)

I'm budgeting a LOT of money for SVX tires. Stay away from those cheap-o, no name, junk tires. If it's a brand that sponsors a major racing circuit, or a brand that comes on a car from the factory, they're probably good tires because they have a name to protect. I had a set of brand new Les Schwab Toyos that came with a used car. One had a tread separation at just over 1000 miles and was replaced by my factory spare (Goodyear, I think.) The other tire literally exploded a month later while sitting in a parking lot on a near-100 degree day. There was some sort of separation in the inner sidewall and it exploded through the tread. I drove it home on the first bad tire and threw all five of them away. That bad tire could have caused any number of untold troubles - stranded me, an accident, or even killed me - had I been driving at the time it gave out. Needless to say, I loathe cheap tires and I especially detest/distrust Toyos.

Now I expect to hear all sorts of stuff about wrong tire pressure, or it was just a bad batch of tires, or maybe it was slashed, or I drove over something. Well yes, those are all possible, but I've never had a problem with any other tire I've owned. One problem is one too many.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:04 PM
The Molinator

HANKOOKs

Someone told me Hankook Ventus 102's (I believe) were good!
They make 245 45 16, a size I want to try.

WHADAY'ALLTHINK?
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 03-04-2004 at 03:06 PM.