Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2004, 09:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan
oh man, why me.

Ok, Im going to murder my car soon. Shoot a bullet into her head. or maybe bird shot into the engine block...

Started the car today around 20 minutes before going out to leave, cause it was cold out and I wanted it to be nice and warm. by chance, the headlights had been left on for this time. when I got out there, everything was dim, and the ABS and airbag idiot lights were on. things were dim, like the battery was half dead. I shut the ignition off, wthout going anywhere, and try to start it again, nothing at all, not even a click, and all my lights were dim. put cables on it, and it started right up fine. lights were ok. reved the engine a bit, everything was fine.

left it another 20 minutes at a stop someplace, it did the samething. though I didnt shut it off this time, just reved it and idiot lights went out, headlights came back, interior lights came back..

Ok, Alternator problem right?or wrong? I dunno Where do I start, to diagnose/fix this problem.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:55 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Dude, I only read about half of that but from what you said it is probably your Alternator... I have a 119amp altornator... That thing is kick @$$!!! The stock one is like 79amps or something... If ya want one like mine just shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can do for ya...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 02-09-2004, 10:57 AM

I would guess an alt. problem also. Don't bother shooting the engine, that's the part thats bulletproof

1998 Acura Integra LS 74k Sold 1/07
2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 .04k!
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 4x4 TRD Sport
Old 02-09-2004, 05:35 PM
Hater

shoot car for a bad alternator?

what happens if your transmission goes.....nuclear holocaust?

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 02-09-2004, 06:15 PM
greg

Wait!

Don't get that worked up, it is definatly the alternator. And trust me, of all the things that can go wrong with an SVX that is nothing to even worry about. They are a little expensive but any person with half a mechanical bone in their body can replace one. They are right in the front top of the engine compartment and one of the easiest things to replace on a car that I have ever done. Good Luck!

-G
Old 02-10-2004, 06:57 AM
craigk

dash going nuts

I've been having a related problems? I noticed it started with the ABS, I'd be backing up in the snow, or putting on the brakes on slippery surfaces, and the electric power would have major fluctuations and I would hear it over the speakers. Stereo cutting out and popping noises. Then the car wouldn't open up once and more noises were coming over the speakers when I opened the door. Plus it wouldn't start hardly at all at that time and all the dash lights were flashing, specifically the P/S and ABS. Then when I did get it started it wouldn't run very well, though it cranked well enough. And as I tried to drive it home the P/S kept turning off and on and the lights kept flashing. though it self corrected for a few miles. I've tested the alternator at Murrays, 3 times in a row and it checked out good. I suspected it would since I never lost battery charge. I'm suspecting a short circuit in one of the major relays such as the ABS or P/S power relays. Anyone else ever heard of these weird symptoms?