Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Product and Service Reviews > Exterior Car Care Products

Old 07-02-2006, 08:58 PM
boundsie

Black Magic car wax sucks!

So I read in my Consumer Reports that this "Black Magic" car wax is the #1 wax in their tests so like the mindless little peon that I am, I dutifully go out and buy some. Today I give the old Suby a thorough bath and try out the new wax. I should have greased the paint because it would have been easier to buff off. Basically, it leaves an oily mess. I've tried a lot of waxes with good and bad results but this stuff sets the standard in bad results. I'm sticking with my old tried and true Meguiers products from now on. Just a note to save somebody else from making a mess of their car with Black Magic wax. I should know better than to trust Consumer Reports on anything automotive. Vent, vent. Aahhhhhh! I feel better now.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:03 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
You must have done something terribly wrong then. I've used black magic on mine lots of times with no problems at all. It shines up beautifully. Try turtle wax platinum. It's like baby lotion and comes off very easy with no mess.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:02 PM
Locker Link Solution

Sounds like a stupid question, but are you sure it was their "car wax"? I used the wax on someone else's car once (also their wax) and it worked great! I wouldn't say it is number one, but still... went on easy, came off easy, looked great. I ussually use megs myself though.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 07-03-2006, 12:15 AM
Hater

Meguiar's NXT Tech wax FTW. let it sit on the car overnight, comes off easily, and acts as more of a polish and sealant than just a wax. great stuff.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 07-03-2006, 07:56 AM
Now with Colder Air!

Send a message via AIM to Amazonparrot Send a message via MSN to Amazonparrot
Yeah...thats stuff is like trying to get pine sap off of your car...took me all damn day
1992 Subaru SVX LS-L Ebony Mica: Custom Cold Air Intake, Smallcar Shift Kit, ECUtune Stage 1v4, Flowmaster Exhaust, UR underdrive pulley, 4.11 gears, iRotors Drilled and Slotted rotors, Axxis Brake Pads, 18" Enkei Wheels w/Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S, 20% Window Tinting, K&N Panel Filter, Rockford Fosgate Sound System w/XM Radio, Removed Intake Resonator *SOLD*

2003 Subaru WRX: 2003 Impreza WRX (Aspen White); Vishnu Stage II; IHI VF-34 Turbo; Walbro fuel pump, STi Injectors, Vishnu Up-pipe, Down-pipe and Signature 3" Cat-back; Samco Intercooler hoses; JIC Coilovers; STi A-arms; Whiteline swarbar bushings; Stoptech 13" rotors w/4-piston calipers; Braided Steel brake lines; 17" Rota Wheels with 225/45/17 Falken Azenis (R-Comp).
Charlottesville, VA Represent! (voted #1 place in America to live!)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?Amazonparrot
Old 07-03-2006, 09:49 AM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
Meguiar's NXT Tech wax FTW. let it sit on the car overnight, comes off easily, and acts as more of a polish and sealant than just a wax. great stuff.
I tried NXT on my last wash and wax. The stuff is great. Hit it with the cleaner wax first then the NXT seals and shines.
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 07-03-2006, 12:31 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by gest24
I tried NXT on my last wash and wax. The stuff is great. Hit it with the cleaner wax first then the NXT seals and shines.
what i do when I wash it once a year
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 07-03-2006, 06:48 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark

that wax is awesome.
comes off so easy it is unbelievable.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Mr. Inappropriate

If your paint job is in rough shape or you have a good amount of old wax buildup, some wax will stick like glue. Try buffing the paint out with a good polishing compound to get all the crap off the paint first.

I've tried the black magic wax after polishing and it was still a pain. After wearing out my joints I finally got the greasy streaks to stop and it shined up real nice. However, I wouldn't recommend it as there are much easier waxes to work with.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myetball
However, I wouldn't recommend it as there are much easier waxes to work with.
Yeah...I just learned about this stuff last weekend:

http://www.fastwax.com/

(I love the actual product name)
Old 07-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Mr. Inappropriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Yeah...I just learned about this stuff last weekend:

http://www.fastwax.com/

(I love the actual product name)

Fukken Wax

Too Funny!
Old 07-05-2006, 07:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
not to hijack this thread, but it is a wax related question....Does leaving the wax on for a longer period of time have any significant benefit? I usually just wait 5-10 min till it pastes over into and then take it off...
Old 07-05-2006, 10:58 AM
Who watches the watchmen?

I didn't have any problem with the Black Magic wax. It was a little more difficult to remove than the Zymol wax I used last time but not that bad. I tried it as Consumer Reports says it is easy to remove from plastic (I waxed my other car that has a ton of plastic on the doors and bumpers). It certainly was plastic friendly and made life easy for me in that respect. I did use it on a white car which can hide the white wax reside unless you are careful.

The big thing to remember is to apply the wax in the shade. I also use several microfiber cloths to remove the wax. They need to changed frequently so you are not just pushing around the wax. I ended up using 5 of them.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:07 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14
The big thing to remember is to apply the wax in the shade. I also use several microfiber cloths to remove the wax. They need to changed frequently so you are not just pushing around the wax. I ended up using 5 of them.
Same here, just got doing my black bits and rims. Even with only doing those small areas I went through 3 towels.
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 07-05-2006, 12:36 PM

Black Magic wax left streaks and swirls in the areas on my car's roof where the clearcoat is becoming hazy. Okay, so that's not the fault of the product but it's probably relevant to this crowd.

dcb

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: