Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale > SVX's and SVX Parts Wanted > SVX Parts Wanted

Old 07-17-2012, 10:09 AM

Wanted: SVX engine

Greetings!
I'm looking for a good solid running engine for Paul Dexler's SVX. He's my father-in-law, and I'd like to get it running again. A bare long-block would be fine. The engine in his car is shot. Head gaskets blew and water got into the cylinders. All the outside bits are okay though.
Thanks in advance!
Old 07-17-2012, 10:36 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Wanted: SVX engine

Welcome!
Was this the green svx for sale on c.l?
You should just do a head gasket replacement it would be just about as much work.. And u would not need to switch all other parts over.
There are some svxi at pick n pulls u could get... I just pulled one svx engine from the rocklin store today.. Total was like 250 and that was everthing but the alt p/s pump and a/c
#1 1994 Ls ebony parts car-rip
#2 1994 L laguna blue - sold
#3 1992 Lsi pearl white - sold
#4 1992 Lsi pearl white -Ate two engines - Rip
#5 1994 L Laguna Blue fwd - Now Awd and manual - 03 wrx 5mt - 18's stern warp st4s - totaled hit a tree
#6 1992 Lsi custom orange parts car
#7 1992 Lsi green 4.44 swap. Currently for sale
#8 1992 Lsi custom pearl white. Project car... sold
#9 1992 Teal 4.44 swapped... sold
#10 1995 Laguna Blue. Sti 19 wheels,
#11 1994 Laguna Blue. Came with #10 engine and trans are out but plan to put it back on the road. Willing to sell it at any time! 😂
Old 07-17-2012, 10:39 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiguy View Post
You should just do a head gasket replacement it would be just about as much work.. And u would not need to switch all other parts over.
If it were just a simple headgasket job, you would be right, but if there has been water sitting in the cylinders for any extended period of time, then it could cause corrosion, pitting, etc. I think in this case it would be a safer bet to just go for a new engine.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 07-17-2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
If it were just a simple headgasket job, you would be right, but if there has been water sitting in the cylinders for any extended period of time, then it could cause corrosion, pitting, etc. I think in this case it would be a safer bet to just go for a new engine.
Absolutely right! There's been water in the cylinders for almost two years now. But that engine was gone before that anyway. It would overheat within minutes of startup, pushing coolant out the reservoir overflow immediately. I'd expect warped heads and all kinds of nightmarish things. I had to drive it a fair distance with coolant literally screaming out of it, steam everywhere, and the temp gauge pegged. I'm sure that Paul had been driving it for quite a while with blown gaskets, but he was driving so little the car never really warmed up. Then it got worse.........
Yeah, time for a good runner. The important thing here is to get a known, good condition engine for it so I can get it back on the road. Anybody got one?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: