Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-14-2012, 10:20 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
What damage could have been done if...

The axle boots were replaced and excess grease was used in the repair process. This happened to my sister on my nephew's car. The next day my brother-in-law was brought in for emergency open heart surgery. So I am trying to investigate this for her. As my nephew was driving it home the CEL and Transmission lights came on, the car started smoking and he felt it dragging and heard it making noise. They towed it back and they cleaned out the grease and re-packed it with new grease. It seems ok now but I am concerned there may have been collateral damage. Could this have stressed the front diff or the tranny to the point of decreasing its life expectancy? The tranny light coming on is concerning, in particular.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 06-14-2012, 09:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: What damage could have been done if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
The axle boots were replaced and excess grease was used in the repair process. This happened to my sister on my nephew's car. The next day my brother-in-law was brought in for emergency open heart surgery. So I am trying to investigate this for her. As my nephew was driving it home the CEL and Transmission lights came on, the car started smoking and he felt it dragging and heard it making noise. They towed it back and they cleaned out the grease and re-packed it with new grease. It seems ok now but I am concerned there may have been collateral damage. Could this have stressed the front diff or the tranny to the point of decreasing its life expectancy? The tranny light coming on is concerning, in particular.
I couldn't imagine that it would cause any sort of problems. I don't really think there is such a thing as too much grease in the cv joint. I tend to suspect the transmission issue was unrelated.
2001 Audi S8
Old 06-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

No one else has anything to add?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 06-16-2012, 07:45 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

I agree with Mike.

The only effect of too much grease is that it could force some out of the boot and cause some smoke.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
I agree with Mike.

The only effect of too much grease is that it could force some out of the boot and cause some smoke.
That is what they claimed happened and what was causing the smoke. But that doesn't explain the CEL and tranny lights coming on the drivability issues. It was a little unclear as to what exactly the issues were but it sounded like something was dragging or holding the car back.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:22 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Maybe the boot was so over-full that it was pressing against something? What kind of car was this?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 06-18-2012, 12:33 PM

Registered SVX

no, too much grease in the cv axle cause any form of driveability issues. It might smoke a lil because grease got squeezed out onto the exhaust but other than that there is NO possible way it could hurt anything. Its a rubber boot that would be pressing against metal every direction it could go. The boot would pop before anything else could happen.

Now if they didnt put the knuckle/cage back on the axle shaft correctly, the CV joint itself would start to lock up (or if they lost one of the balls inside the knuckle joint)

you may have 2 issues going on, might be a front diff side bearing starting to seize up and it just happened to occur right after you had the axle boots replaced.