How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-25-2008, 08:13 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Looming FWD transmission failure!...options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
So they are actually different transmisions (FWD SVX vs. Legacy/Impreza)?
Yes, but so are 4.44 transmissions and they hold up very well...

Tom
Old 06-25-2008, 10:11 AM

Good point. That's actually what I had in mind even before the possibility that they might be the same transmission occured to me.

What difference would I notice w/o the extra clutch plates?
Old 06-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Good point. That's actually what I had in mind even before the possibility that they might be the same transmission occured to me.

What difference would I notice w/o the extra clutch plates?
No noticeable difference... Simply doesn't have the extra clutch to handle greater amounts of force. But considering that your car is completely stock it should not be an issue... I mean look at Tom's car... Its heavily modified with that same transmission (sans FWD components) and it holds without problems... It is a cheap and easy solution. I replaced my old FWD trans with a FWD legacy trans without any problems at all

Tom
Old 06-25-2008, 10:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX

Brian. You have a PM.

Just so anyone reading this thread knows...I have a 91 FWD Legacy transmission in my 94 SVX. Though I've only driven the car about 30 miles, it shifts perfectly. One thing though...it doesn't have a banjo fitting like all of the other transmissions.
92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)

Old 06-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXyGirl View Post
Brian. You have a PM.

Just so anyone reading this thread knows...I have a 91 FWD Legacy transmission in my 94 SVX. Though I've only driven the car about 30 miles, it shifts perfectly. One thing though...it doesn't have a banjo fitting like all of the other transmissions.

Thats the same tranny I put into my FWD... then Eric bought it from the guy who bought it from me and then you bought that trans from Eric after the wreck... I put a solid 10-15k on that trans w/o issue

Tom
Old 06-25-2008, 11:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Thats the same tranny I put into my FWD... then Eric bought it from the guy who bought it from me and then you bought that trans from Eric after the wreck... I put a solid 10-15k on that trans w/o issue

Tom
Glad it was able to stay "in the [SVX] family" EDIT: I think I have the cloth drivers seat from your old SVX too.
92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)

Last edited by SVXyGirl; 06-25-2008 at 11:51 AM. Reason: because you touch yourself at night
Old 08-29-2008, 01:10 PM

I've found a promissing low-mileage 95 Legacy transmission candidate. If someone could look up the VIN for me to confirm the mileage, I'd appreciate it:

4S3BD6351S9212590
Old 09-08-2008, 08:56 PM

Thumbs up Re: Looming FWD transmission failure!...options?

The swap is now done and successful! I now have a transmission from a 95 Impreza w/38,709 miles on it. It was anything but straight forward, though: it was an ordeal. Just ask Tom. It took me longer than I thought to run to Lebanon for the first transmission and then make my way to Cumberland last Tuesday. I arrived at Tom's 4 hours late with the $300 Legacy transmission w/31 k miles from the last post, the one I unsuccessfully requested a VIN for. That evening, as Tom was just about to lift it in place, he realized the brake band adjustment was broken off in its recessed socket! We couldn't use it!

Since I had to work at 6:45 the next morning, Tom graciously (but no doubt reluctantly) lent me Christine. While I was at work, my dad picked up the Impreza trans. locally for $100 more than the first one, and delivered it to Tom. On my way back to Cumberland after work, Christine started overheating! When I was only about 20 miles away from my destination, I had to call AAA to tow her the rest of the way. Once I got there, Tom told me that although the second transmission was installed, oil was leaking from the new rear main seal. He would have to pull the transmission all over again to re-replace the seal. I had to work at noon the next day. After AAA gave me the run around as I tried to claim the free 24 hr emergency car rental my Premium membership includes, I spent the night in Tom & Di's basement. The next morning, I arranged my own rental, in the hopes that AAA will come through w/the promised reimbursement. Just as Tom dropped me off at the rental office, Christine had a hose break! Tom had it fixed by the time my paperwork was finished at 10:00.

I made it to work less than 1/2 an hour late. When I was done at 6:00, Tom had finished with my car! After I arrived at Tom's that evening we loaded the transmission from Lebanon into my trunk. I was back home at 1:00 AM on Friday.

Incidentally, it happens that my flex plate was fine, and not the cause of the buzzing I've been hearing. Tom now thinks the pre cats are the likely source.

It turns out that the guys at the salvage yard in Lebanon are not only going to refund my money, but they won't make me return the transmission either! This is largely thanks to the pictures of the damage that Tom and Di sent them. Now I just have to get the thing out of my trunk! My neighbor is willing to take it. But maybe I could get some money for it myself if I took it to get recycled. No doubt a scrap yard would have the means to lift it from my trunk safely. Or should I take it to some place that rebuilds transmissions? Maybe they would pay more. It's probably a good transmission except for the brake band.