Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Brake Upgrades

Old 07-05-2018, 04:13 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Direct bolt-on calipers

That is a great deal. I got Stoptech slotted, cryo-treated for $259 for the pair. Had to look all over for them. Out of stock everywhere. Finally got them from J C Whitney.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 07-18-2018, 07:46 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

I became aware of a new rear brake upgrade opportunity through my discussions with Josh Bettencourt at SVX Nation. It involves incorporating the 06-07 WRX rear 2-pot calipers and the 05 Sti rotor. While the rotor isn't any larger in diameter than the OEM SVX rotor, it is 18mm in diameter and is vented vs. the 9.8mm diameter unvented SVX rotor. The 05 Sti rotor has a 190 mm parking brake, as does the SVX, vs the 170mm for the 06-07 WRX, but is otherwise identical to the WRX rotor. So, while not greatly increasing braking force, it likely will increase fade resistance, due to greater ability to shed heat. It utilizes a conversion bracket and spacer package that is supposed to mate the 06-07 caliper to the 00-03 RS backing plate. Unfortunately, the spacers don't quite line up the caliper with rotor as installed on the SVX, so you have to add some washers or custom spacers and play with it a bit to get the correct rotor/caliper alignment. Josh has installed his retrofit but isn't completely satisfied with the alignment and wants to do some further measurements before finalizing a recommendation. I've ordered the bracket, which hasn't yet arrived. Will keep everyone posted. Here is the link

http://www.compbrake.com/product/sub...kit-1993-2000/

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

Old 07-19-2018, 05:21 AM

Instead of adapter brackets, you can swap the usdm 05-07 STi rear backing plates on and the 2 piston FHI or 2 piston Brembo rear calipers will bolt right up using the 05-07 STi rotor. The backing plates are available new from Subaru.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Are the rear backing plates bolt-on?

Old 07-19-2018, 01:48 PM

Yes, that is what is on my car. 05-07 STi rear backing plates, rotors, and Brembo 2 piston calipers. Fits as OEM. Also the 05-07 STi rear wheel bearings and all of the parking brake parts are the same.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:51 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

so, if I didn't want to spring for the Brembo's, the standard Sti 2-pots would also fit?

Old 07-19-2018, 02:13 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

By the way, are the non-Brembo calipers for the 05-07 STi, the same as the 06-07 WRX?

Old 07-19-2018, 04:28 PM

The STi only ever got Brembo calipers.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:19 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Checked at NASIOC. 04-07 Subaru WRX 2-pots, non-Brembo bolt to the STi backing plate because only the non-Brembos were approved for Group N rally use.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:48 PM

Yes, the FHI 2 pots fit to the same 05-07 STi backing plate, however the STi never came with them. USDM 06-07 WRX came with them (and 170mm parking brake with 5x100 hubs) and a bunch of older JDM models.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:46 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireiron View Post
Yes, the FHI 2 pots fit to the same 05-07 STi backing plate, however the STi never came with them. USDM 06-07 WRX came with them (and 170mm parking brake with 5x100 hubs) and a bunch of older JDM models.
The question remains though if you use the non brembo calipers can you also use 05 sti rotors? or will the pad not contact correct
Old 12-19-2018, 01:32 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

New front brakes, '07 WRX calipers with spacers, Tribeca slotted cryo-treated rotors.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:39 PM

Getting ready to install the fronts on my 95 and have assembled all the components but I have a question; does the SVX brake lines bolt up to the WRX rotors or do I need to get brake lines specific to the WRX calipers?
Old 12-20-2018, 04:54 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Same size fitting. SVX lines work just fine. You want to buy a new set of crush washers

Old 11-20-2019, 01:42 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX

Here's a small write up with pics in case anyone is curious about the calipers

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SVXN...0833621490642/
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.