Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-09-2019, 03:43 PM
The Ebony ones are faster.

Registered SVX
AMR coil over issue.

I've had the AMR coil overs installed on my 92' for 4 years.
The car handles completely different and I like it.
However, this last weekend I noticed that the rubber part of the top mounts on the front coil overs are pretty deteriorated. I'm not feeling too safe about driving it again until I figure out how to fix it.
I've contacted Andy at AMR but I haven't heard back yet.
I'll attach the pics that I sent to him.
Any input is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0209.JPG (736.1 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0210.JPG (663.6 KB, 285 views)
Old 09-10-2019, 03:53 PM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: AMR coil over issue.

That is the top mount for the strut, which on an OEM is a separate part. I'm not a mechanic, but if memory serves me correctly you can replace it pretty easily. However you need a spring compressor to do it after the strut is removed from the car.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:48 PM

Registered SVX

Thanks for the input.
However the top mount that you see is a custom unit made by AMR not the stock part.
I have as of yet to get a response from AMR about a warranty replacement.
I should have been more direct with my question which is should I park it until I can get the parts to fix it? Or can I still drive it?
Old 09-12-2019, 06:48 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

As I mentioned earlier, I'm not a mechanic. But, it's my understanding that under normal driving a tear in the rubber of a top mount will not lead to catastrophic failure unless the pressure comes off of the strut. ie the wheel becomes airborne over a bump or similar. It will just get noisier and gradually deteriorate more.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:49 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

It's safe to drive. There's no way that rubber should have deteriorated like that already. Keep us informed of AMR's response, if you ever get one.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:50 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX

That's not part of the coilover, that's the top strut mount. Just order new ones from subaru and have them installed. They are like $60 i think.
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:46 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
It's safe to drive. There's no way that rubber should have deteriorated like that already. Keep us informed of AMR's response, if you ever get one.
I must admit I'm not holding my breath.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:50 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by halistan View Post
That's not part of the coilover, that's the top strut mount. Just order new ones from subaru and have them installed. They are like $60 i think.
Yes, it is part of the coil over not the stock top mount. I should know, I did buy them and see them before they were installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9296svx.jpg (51.2 KB, 262 views)

Last edited by Andrew P.; 09-15-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:38 AM

I agree with Andrew, the AMR coil overs completely replace the existing shock. They bolt up to the original mount, but right to the metal, there isn't any reuse of the original shock parts.

I've have a fairly good experience with AMR both times I've bought things (including AMR coil overs) from them. I hope they can give you a good experience too!

Could your request have been accidentally lost (small shop, no dedicate customer service department, etc.)... did you email them a few times? Call them on phone?

If you like I would be happy to email them and ask them to respond.

I've said generally positive things about them based on my personal experience with them, also I may purchase another set of AMR coil overs for my latest project once the current shocks become intolerable... may be that will help...? Also, I really appreciate AMR supporting the SVX, and hope they can maintain at a good standing in our community.

Cheers,
Ian.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:48 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by irox View Post
I agree with Andrew, the AMR coil overs completely replace the existing shock. They bolt up to the original mount, but right to the metal, there isn't any reuse of the original shock parts.

I've have a fairly good experience with AMR both times I've bought things (including AMR coil overs) from them. I hope they can give you a good experience too!

Could your request have been accidentally lost (small shop, no dedicate customer service department, etc.)... did you email them a few times? Call them on phone?

If you like I would be happy to email them and ask them to respond.

I've said generally positive things about them based on my personal experience with them, also I may purchase another set of AMR coil overs for my latest project once the current shocks become intolerable... may be that will help...? Also, I really appreciate AMR supporting the SVX, and hope they can maintain at a good standing in our community.

Cheers,
Ian.
Thanks. I'll try to contact them again as well.