SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
quick egr question

Does removing the egr system have any negative side effects? (besides slowly killing every endangered species i drive past)
see, my car has been having a mystery problem...It's down on power under load at low rpm. It stutters, like it has a miss or it's pulling timing, untill about 2000 rpm or so, then works just fine
I've read the egr is only open at low rpm... could it be causing it to run lean and pull timing?
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 01-20-2011, 04:46 PM

Registered SVX
Re: quick egr question

Removing your egr could have a couple, although minor, side effects. One would be a slight decrease in gas mileage if you do a lot of coasting while you drive, this is when the egr effectively decreases the displacement of the cylinders by recirculating exhaust gases. Another being the likeliness to have detonation since the purpose of the egr is to reduce nox emissions by reducing cylinder temperatures then it also helps to reduce detonation in higher compression engines. Neither of these is likely to have a large affect on your car (i have taken the egr off of a couple of cars without problem) just letting you know some possible downsides. If you want to see if your egr is the problem just unplug it or make a solid gasket out of a pop can and slide it underneath, if your problem is still present then look elswhere.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:33 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX

See, I have the egr system removed completely. there's no hole in the exhaust manifold (mad jdm yo) and i made a block off plate for the intake manifold. I noticed on the jdm intake there's no holes for the bolts tapped in, but the hole for the exhaust gas to enter is there. Im curious if I should just pull off my block off plate or what...
the big question is...is the detonation effect enough to cause the engine to pull timing in the first place?
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 01-20-2011, 06:03 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric View Post
the big question is...is the detonation effect enough to cause the engine to pull timing in the first place?
If the JDM engine already has no EGR and works just fine, then probably not...
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album