Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-13-2011, 04:56 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
T-Belt Question

I wanted to know if there is a big difference between getting the T-belt kit ordered on Ebay or having the mechanic get a aftermarket one. Since I'm replacing it already. Unless someone knows a better link or spot. I'm just not in the position to wait long.

I hit a bump when the blizzard first started hitting the east coast, I was doing around 40-50 floor was lightly covered but u couldn't see the pavement. The Bump was covered in snow and the sign was blocked off by a tree and snowed on, had very low visibility in the dark with the snow coming down hard. The street was narrow, I flew up bout 5feet after hitting the bump, it was sudden, but I maintained control and landed fine (avoiding collision with all the parked cars on the sides of the street in the city). The car drove off perfectly, and maintained for the next hour. I turned it off, and came back after about an hour to re-park it, and it started stalling. When id slow down it began to shut off, and after a few minutes it completely gave no power when i pressed the gas, maybe 5-10mph tops pressing the peddle all the way down, and it stayed that way. I had it towed to my mechanic, The bottom was fine nothing was cracked, I had just changed the axles, the shocks were fine as well. He said that three of the cylinders weren't responding, that the right side was fine and the left has an issue, he hasn't took the front of yet but says its the T-Belt 90%, any other thoughts here?

And can a 3.2 inch single din dvd player go in without a prob( I have the harness), I mean as far as space, or do I need a modified bracket to hold it?
Or should I just search for a 4 inch?
Old 01-13-2011, 03:55 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX
Re: T-Belt Question

Before you buy anything, have a look under the timing belt cover, that way you know for sure.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 01-13-2011, 05:26 PM

Registered SVX

I agree, take the cover off and verify it's the belt before going too far. If it does happen to be the belt it is probably best to let your mechanic source one himself, markup isn't that much on belts and then he is the one who will have a problem if the belt turns out to be bad or wrong. Being a mechanic myself I would say most mechanics prefer to get the parts on their own because if something does go wrong there is no question of warranty or fault. The stock radio bracket has many holes for actually screwing into your DVD so mounting is not a big problem it will be filling in the gap. A lot of electronics stores sell plastic plates that will fill the gap for a double din slot around whatever type of player you have.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:30 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92snowmachine View Post
A lot of electronics stores sell plastic plates that will fill the gap for a double din slot around whatever type of player you have.
I believe they are called beauty plates. You can get them at car-toys...other places too I am sure. Not sure about availability for the SVX, though...

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 01-13-2011, 09:49 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

I'd go with a pocket, not a cover. Help make up for the lack of storage space in the svx. Actually, there was a single din and a pocket in my blue car when I got it. Didn't work though.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 01-14-2011, 12:43 AM

Registered SVX

Thanks for the help, I just got the system ordered today.

And it is the timing belt and the tensions, got it confirmed today, question is what is the best kit to order?

I know this guy pretty well so he doesn't mind me bringing parts. I have gotten them of the SVX Network most of the time anyway. I looked up Ebay and saw a few (getting a source from here last time that Ebay sellers had good kits). Don't know which is the best source, or if there is another one. I'm thinking of changing the belt tensions and pump altogether, anyone know whats the best kit to order?

On my other SVX I got a gift from someone for the belt and kit, but it wasn't from Ebay, and its not available anymore, So I need to confirm where I'm ordering it from.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:44 AM

Registered SVX

BTW Icingdeath, That Axel was a super fit.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to StatGSR

i got this kit here,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-97...item5ade755d71

i thought the quality of all parts seemed pretty damn good, sure it would be just as good as anything your mechanic could get, and oem belt and tensioners for this car are rediculously expensive.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:29 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

I will chime in and say that I disagree on the eBay kit.

Not only because I now question the quality of the belt they include but also the shoddy water pump that is definitely not OEM and ****ty. Yes, it's ****ty quality.

(My timing belt/water pump was done less than 20k miles ago... and it broke).

The idlers seems fine... however, if I were to do it all over again, I would get the parts from subaruparts.com or some other reliable source. The only thing that eBay has going for it is the convenience of the entire package in one shot... that and the lower price. Of course, that lower price comes with possible consequences... as I've already been through and hope to avoid anytime in the near future after having my timing belt and water pump replaced in less than a 2 year period already.

Take your time and the extra $ to get the quality good oem stuff... of course I'm sure some others haven't had a problem with these kits (yet) but the water pump itself is an automatic no go.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:52 AM

Registered SVX

I would agree with the thoughts of not ordering the cheap parts on ebay. Mainly because I have had personal experience with that brand of water pump not fitting subarus. They look the same until you bolt it up and the holes don't quite match up so you are pulling one way or another to get them all to line up. As far as the belt Gates is a really good brand but not cheap. There are actually only a few companies that produce belts even though thousands sell them, as long as you have a name brand belt it was most likely made by gates if it is US made.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

When I had mine done I think we did a rebuilt pump, a OEM belt and the idlers from eBay.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 01-14-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
When I had mine done I think we did a rebuilt pump, a OEM belt and the idlers from eBay.
If you order the EBay one from Washington state, the kits have always been good for me (3 kits in the last 3 years) and they are good people.

Keith
Old 01-14-2011, 09:02 PM

Registered SVX

Ok, I'm trying to order one tonight, the link I got earlier has a phone number and I can do an overnight with them. Plus they have a refund policy, the othe ones seem to have no telephone numbers or business locations, dont know if I should test them.

The Washington ones your talking about, can you send me a link to their item. S I can confirm that I'm on the right page.

I wanna call Liberty Subaru tomorrow morning and see how much the T-belt and pump go for there before I order from Ebay.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1One1AndOnly View Post
Ok, I'm trying to order one tonight, the link I got earlier has a phone number and I can do an overnight with them. Plus they have a refund policy, the othe ones seem to have no telephone numbers or business locations, dont know if I should test them.

The Washington ones your talking about, can you send me a link to their item. S I can confirm that I'm on the right page.

I wanna call Liberty Subaru tomorrow morning and see how much the T-belt and pump go for there before I order from Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-97...Q5fAccessories

The Import Experts
405 E Arlington
Yakima, WA 98901

1-800-247-7936

1-509-972-7112

These are the people~

Keith
Old 01-19-2011, 05:23 AM

Registered SVX

Thanks, I'l let you know how it goes once I get it installed, still didn't make my mind up. It was closed Monday.