SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-11-2011, 11:20 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Timing belt info

So, err, someone asked me a question via PM and I don't really like answering questions without others able to correct me, so I'm going to post it here instead.

Quote:
how often i have to change the timing belt?
how can i check if it's new-ish or not?
also can i change it myself?
Every 60,000 miles, give or take. If you're not sure when it was last changed, I personally would go ahead and change it.
Change the water pump, thermostat, and the gasket for each at the same time, as well as the cam seals, crank seal. It's kind if a pain to change the belt, so might as well do everything while you're in there. Optional, but recommended. Also check out the two accessory belts and the radiator hoses since you're taking them off anyway.

That big black plastic thing at the front of the engine behind the big pulley? That's the timing belt cover. Either of the two side pieces can be removed to look at the belt.

It's not that bad to do it yourself, but it's not the easiest thing in the world. Depends on your level of experience. I've found it's easiest to do it with the radiator out of the car, and you gotta empty the coolant when you do the water pump anyway. The hardest part is getting the crank pulley bolt off.

Anything anyone else would add?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 07-11-2011, 11:55 PM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX
Re: Timing belt info

well, when it comes to browsing this forum and finding useful things about the car, you won't have a good time. so i was trying not to make it worse
anyways, no way to see how much it had worked?
is it fine if i buy the replacement parts from ebay?
no need for special tools?
Old 07-12-2011, 12:23 AM

Registered SVX

I do understand the sentiment.

Depends on your idea of "special tools". The crank pulley needs a 22mm socket and a breaker bar helps. Other than that you just need regular mechanic tools. You'll also need a vice to compress the timing belt tensioner. There was a thread a while back just on getting the dang crank pulley bolt off.

The ebay timing belt and pulley kit will suffice, but I prefer the subaru OEM waterpump. The gaskets and seals and stuff should also be pretty cheap from subaru. subaruparts.com and 1stsubaruparts.com are good sources, even if they do take a while to ship sometimes. Auto parts stores don't have proper pre-bend coolant hoses, but they should have the accessory belts.

I'll look around and see if there's a nice how-to around here somewhere. If there's not one there should be.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 07-12-2011, 02:00 PM

Registered SVX

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2507298...=sbar&_lwgsi=y

i use this to get the crank bolt off at home, easy to work with little clearance and it's cheaper than an impact gun.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:14 PM

The "Big bolt" is the easiest part... get your Break over bar, big socket, put socket and break over bar and place on the bolt... rest the break over bar on a padded cushion on the fender, and turn the key to start.

Another thing... make sure you use the correct fender!

Works like a dream!

Keith
Old 07-14-2011, 10:53 PM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
The "Big bolt" is the easiest part... get your Break over bar, big socket, put socket and break over bar and place on the bolt... rest the break over bar on a padded cushion on the fender, and turn the key to start.

Works like a dream!

Keith
IMO the hard part would be turning the key to start the car after you're done!
just one thing...does it turn clockwise or CCW? cuz some cars are weird!
Old 07-14-2011, 11:16 PM

Registered SVX

Crank pulley bolt is righty-tighty, lefty-loosey like normal.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:11 AM

Registered SVX

We (Lowe's sell this
http://www.lowes.com/pd_28180-11241-6904_4294857483_4294937087_?productId=3307992&Ns=p _product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_do llar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Impact%2BWrenches_429 4857483_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_n br|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=#BVRR WidgetID

Last edited by Conn SVX; 07-15-2011 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:10 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post

Works like a dream!

Keith
just make sure your breaker bar and socket aren't cheapo ones or this will break them, about the only common cars this won't work on are hondas that turn backwards.