How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2011, 06:59 AM

EG3.3 in 03 Baja?

i have a 92 AWD SVX but it's in rough shape, needs a new windshield, and nearly a complete interior, as well as some body work and paint to restore her to her former glory. It's not feasible for me to restore this project so i am gonna yank the engine out of it, and use it as a spare for a 94 2WD SVX.

I have an 03 Baja and out of nowhere thought about putting the engine from the 92 in the baja but wanted to know if anyone has attempted a similar swap already? motor mount holes the same? will the engine fit into the baja? what about electricals, could i run the OEM ECU for the engine managment system and then run my factory baja ECU for everything else? would it be easier to look for an ECU out of a newer legacy or outback that has a 6cyl in it from the factory?

any help is greatly appreciated, if I am overlooking anything let me know as it's not set in stone that i will attempt the swap, but at this point it's a possibility. thanks guys
Old 07-06-2011, 07:37 AM

Re: EG3.3 in 03 Baja?

I believe I have seen it done before. I will have to check. I would rather put an ez30 or ez30r to run the baja. I think the engine is just too old to be fitted into a newer vehicle (although my LGT is a 99) like your. Don't get me wrong the eg33 technology was way ahead of other makers when it was released. I know there is more modifying support for the ez30s as well.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:04 PM

An EZ30 would be a direct swap, since Outbacks of that era had them. Probably just plug and play.

It has always irked me that a truck-let didn't come with the 6-cylinder engine, but rather a turbo engine, or basic atmospheric 4. The 6 has more torque, which is better for the usage in that sort of a vehicle.

The EG33 may or may not play well with an EZ30 computer that would be compatible with the rest of the car, and the wiring harness is likely different.

The EG33 is longer than the EZ30, and although the mounts and transmission bolt patterns are likely the same, the radiator might not clear the crank pulley. Sometimes the radiator has to be pushed forward to clear, either under the support, or in front of the radiator support, which is usual for EG33 swaps into smaller Subaru vehicles.

The big things are going to be the engine's length, and the control systems, merging the older EG33 OBD1 (or rarer 96-97 OBD2 SVX ECU) with the later OBD2 systems in the 2000-2004 Outback/Legacy generation technology, which all the Bajas share.

An 00-04 Outback EZ30, or an EZ30R variant might be easier to swap in. ECU, wiring harness, exhaust system, and the engine itself might just bolt in.

The thought has occured to me before, because I have considered; if my Ej255 Turbo 2005 Legacy ever goes bang, I have considered putting an 05-09 outback, or 08-09 Tribeca ECU, with an EZ36 from a Tribeca in my car, rather than re-building and re-installing the turbo engine. I like the turbo's behavior, I just don't like it's thirst and additional expense if it does go BANG.

IF Subaru had offered the Legacy 3.0R Spec.B 6MT in the US, like it did overseas, I would probably have traded up for one already. But the US had to choose from the Spec.B 6MT turbo, or the H6 with the automatic only.

And SVX has made me appreciate a smooth 60-degree firing flat-6. And Subaru doesn't back the EG or EZ engines with a manual gearbox in the US, at least not since the XT-6. My Legacy currently has a 5-speed in it, although the top gear puts cruising RPMs near 3000K, which a flat 6 doesn't need.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:55 PM

i am sure the ez30 would be a much easier swap, but i have two svx's, one of which is getting parted out, and the baja which pulls my boat around. I figure hey i am gonna have an extra svx engine laying around, and the baja would really benefit from a 60HP gain when pulling my boat around. I am gonna keep playing with ideas in my head and i will continue to put some of them out on here and see where everyones feedback and other ideas take me. at this point it won't cost me anything for the engine and harness and ecu like i said since i have it already and it's gonna get parted out.

thanks for the info so far, keep it coming, and i will keep the ideas goin as well.

I am thinking about trying to run dual ECU's one for the svx ecu for the svx engine alone, and the other for the other stuff. not sure if it would be feasible or not, at this point it's still just an idea.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:31 PM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

do it and tell me how it goes. I have a baja that could use a little more power
Old 07-06-2011, 02:34 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Wouldn't a baja turbo engine be way easier to swap?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 07-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru Alliance View Post
i have a 92 AWD SVX but it's in rough shape, needs a new windshield, and nearly a complete interior, as well as some body work and paint to restore her to her former glory. It's not feasible for me to restore this project so i am gonna yank the engine out of it, and use it as a spare for a 94 2WD SVX.
not sure where you live but have you considered putting the AWD goods in the 2wd SVX? Food for thought.....
Old 07-06-2011, 05:15 PM

I have thought of a turbo engine, but i already have the svx's and two turbo's eventually i would like to turbo both of them, if i can get the swap to work essentially it would be free, as compared to finding a 2.5T and ecu. I have thought of swapping the AWD stuff over to the other svx, but I am currently looking for some forester xt parts to do an AWD swap, and manual conversion at the same time. I am a standard trans guru, and i will actually go out of my way to have a standard over an automatic, the only exception to the rule is choosing between an auto subie, or no subie, in that case the auto wins.

Yes a baja turbo engine would be EASIER, but how often you see a baja with a potential turbo 6CYL? ha ha. like i said i already have two GT35 turbos, which are a little to big to put on a 4cyl, as far as lag goes, i also have one set of 350z or 300z injectors, just saving for the ECUTUNE stage 2 and the MAF.

however if the swap will work i will take the HP increase while i am saving for the ECUTUNE.

P.S. if it is such a tight fit, I can always cut away the frame rails a bit to make everything fit, and then just weld reinforcements back in. I am not afraid to do some minor to moderate chopping and welding, but the electrical side of the house is kinda throwing me for a loop.

I may have to go with some sort of hybrid setup with both ecus, maybe let the baja ecu have the oil pressure, tachometer, water temp etc. etc., but i don't wanna fool the svx ecu into thinking there is no oil pressure and the engine never warms up, and no tach reading so the svx ecu thinks the engine is off. ughhh, making my head spin. I will keep working it.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:22 PM

just thought of this but maybe i could share about 90% of the info between both ecu's, and then isolate certain things like timing advance and crank angle sensor etc. etc.

what i mean is for example the oil pressure sending unit wire, splice into it hook it up to the baja ecu like normal, but have a lead coming off it to go to the SVX ecu also, so both ecu's will be reading oil pressure, but then something like the o2 sensor wire can go to the SVX ECU only since it will manipulate the fuel mixture, or the same with the cam angle sensor, the baja ecu wouldn't need to recieve a signal because it won't control spark anymore, but the SVX ecu would. something along those lines. I am sure you can see where i am goin with this.

P.S. I would do my best to keep the BAJA harness and ecu stock, so worst case scenario it doesn't work, I can always go back to a stock setup.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeman90 View Post
do it and tell me how it goes. I have a baja that could use a little more power
Ah just buy yourself an Avalanche and be done with it.