Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:
SVXBot

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Reading Meet

View Poll Results: DO YOU THINK WE SHOULD POSTPONE READING 20?
YES. Reschedule to a later date in the fall 7 100.00%
NO. Keep it as is and let members decide to go if they want 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2020, 01:10 PM
Pristine Green Polo Machine
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Exclamation Should we postpone reading 20?

In light of the current health situation in the United States, and the uncertainty of whatever regulations are planned for the immediate future, do you think it is the right decision to postpone Reading until the fall of this year?

There may be travel restrictions by air for those who were planning to fly in.

This gives us enough time to re-evaluate the situation and pick an alternate date, or at worst cancel Reading for this year.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216...137,900 miles...

JFICX8659TH100216JF1CX8659TH100216........Mfg. Date: 11/1995.........In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”

First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, Raceconcepts dimpled/slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Elantra Limited ...119,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the SVX

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 03-15-2020 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:02 PM
Some Random Weirdo

Re: POLL: Should we postpone Reading 20?

I am close enough that I intend to show up with or without my SVX unless things get profoundly worse but I do think what is going on is going to keep many people away as paranoia is really getting to a lot of people.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:02 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
In light of the current health situation in the United States, and the uncertainty of whatever regulations are planned for the immediate future, do you think it is the right decision to postpone Reading until the fall of this year?

There may be travel restrictions by air for those who were planning to fly in.

This gives us enough time to re-evaluate the situation and pick an alternate date, or at worst cancel Reading for this year.
Folks, this is serious business. I vote to postpone to the fall. Even churches in my area are not holding services ...... VA, MD, WV, OH and many other states have closed schools. All the universities in VA (except Liberty, of course) are online only now.
The risk is not worth it. Spring or fall. It matters not. It is all about the people and the cars, not a specific date - that was debunked when deciding April or May .....
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx

Last edited by svxcess; 03-15-2020 at 01:31 AM.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:34 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Harry, don’t forget to cast your vote on the poll at the top of the page.

JFICX8659TH100216JF1CX8659TH100216........Mfg. Date: 11/1995.........In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, Raceconcepts dimpled/slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Elantra Limited ...119,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the SVX

Old 03-15-2020, 02:59 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Social distancing is key to stopping the spread of Covid-19. I suggest you postpone.

Below is a very credible, long article.

The highlights of the paper if you do not have time to read it are written below.

Peter

(1) The number of true cases at any one time during the expansion phase is far greater than the official (known) number of cases (and many are present before any cases are identified);
(2) Without effective social distancing or other measures limiting transmission, the rate of new infections grows exponentially; and
(3) Every day counts in the imposition of serious social distancing or even lockdown measures. This may take political courage but will save lives.

One other important point: In 1918, during the Spanish flu epidemic, Denver imposed social distancing rules, but relaxed them too soon and had a second higher peak as a result. And there are other important lessons from 1918 (and 2020 already too), notably the effect of timing in the introduction of restrictive measures. I hope the link below will work for you (displays well in Chrome, but the figures do not work for me in Internet Explorer). I believe it is well worth reading, even if you just look at the first few pages. The timeline graph for Wuhan with true cases in grey and known (official) cases in orange is very instructive, in particular the rapid peak and drop-of when the lockdown there was imposed. The analysis for Washington state is also sobering.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-f4d3d9cd99ca
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 03-15-2020, 03:55 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX

Just a tidbit of info here: The latest CDC report on the "worse case scenario is an estimated death toll from this virus is 200,000 to 1.7 Million deaths ....
Just saying .....
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 03-15-2020, 06:54 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

For those that can get to it, this article details the ways to flatten the curve.

From doing nothing, to quarantining and social distancing. The simple, excellent animations make it completely understandable.

I spent my career as an art director in educational television creating this kind of thing, which adds emphasis and provides clarity to the written word.

Visuals have more of a lasting impact than the written word sometimes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...wpisrc=nl_most

Old 03-16-2020, 10:05 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Re: Should we postpone reading 20?

In light of the overwhelming and unanimous vote so far on this issue— 7-0, Reading 20 has been indefinitely postponed.

Thank you for your input and responses. The safety and welfare of our members is paramount and we chose wisely to live and party another day.

Old 03-16-2020, 12:23 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool Re: Should we postpone reading 20?

And, don't forget the average age demographic of SVX owners probably falls in the danger zone. At least mine does - definitely!

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mummert View Post
And, don't forget the average age demographic of SVX owners probably falls in the danger zone. At least mine does - definitely!

LOL! Yep. here too.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:01 PM
dances with roads

Registered SVX

I would have voted yes, with a small tear in my eye. But no fever!
2011 Lexus GS350 AWD
2005 STi - totaled after 10 great years
1994 SVX LSi 5spd - sold but not forgotten
2008 Honda Fit - hailed to death
2000 Legacy GT 5spd sedan - gone after 150K miles of bliss
Old 03-19-2020, 02:19 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX

John,

I think you should be congratulated for making a very difficult decision and I think everyone on this site should applaud you for it.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 03-19-2020, 02:40 AM
Parts Hook-Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryIII View Post
John,

I think you should be congratulated for making a very difficult decision and I think everyone on this site should applaud you for it.
Agreed! Better safe than sorry!
Annapolis, MD 21401
443-837-1422

www.AnnapolisSubaru.com

Jackie.Whetzler@AnnapolisSubaru.com

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: