How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2020, 02:02 PM

Original cam pulley?

So i go to do a timing belt change and my cam pulleys don't align to their respective marks. I can get the crankshaft and the driver side to align but the passenger is always about 15° off. So I remove the pulley and see a keyways and a keyways on the camshaft however theres no key. Instead there's this little spacer/key? Is this an original pulley? Seems odd to have keyways that match but not use a key...well i guess this round pin is the key in my case... https://photos.app.goo.gl/KFm15A5s9wSjTjvY8
Old 06-07-2020, 02:18 PM

Re: Original cam pulley?

Is it possible that the passenger side slipped off 15 degrees after you removed the belt? In which case you could reinstall the cam sprocket (cam pulley) and rotate it to match the mark, then reinstall the belt.

Also did you align up all the marking before removing the timing belt (I forgot once and it was a really pain to get everything aligned to reinstall the belt)?

Good luck!
Ian.
Old 06-07-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irox View Post
Is it possible that the passenger side slipped off 15 degrees after you removed the belt? In which case you could reinstall the cam sprocket (cam pulley) and rotate it to match the mark, then reinstall the belt.

Also did you align up all the marking before removing the timing belt (I forgot once and it was a really pain to get everything aligned to reinstall the belt)?

Good luck!
Ian.
Thanks Ian,

Yes it may have slipped good call. I thought they were aligned before i took the belt off but that was 2 days ago and now I don't know what to do. How hard is it to get everything aligned if that's the case?
Old 06-07-2020, 04:26 PM

It should be do able by yourself, but if you have somebody to help that would make it easier.

Basically use some tool (cam sprocket tool is great) to hold the cam sprocket on the mark while you put the belt on. Then double check that everything is lined up properly (one tooth off and you'll run into problems....), if it's not lined up then redo it. The cam sprocket may resist staying at the mark, as valves push on the cam lobes and force a rotation, so you've got to hold them in place.

Also avoid rotating anything unnecessarily, for example, don't rotate one of the cams 360 and then line up the marks.

I felt like such a bone head when I realized I'd removed the belt without aligning the marks. I ended up counting the teeth on the belt to get it lined up... Once I thought I'd gotten it on properly I rotated the crank (manually) to get the marks lined up to verify I'd gotten it right.

Cheers,
Ian.