How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-07-2002, 12:31 PM
Outback2.5HO

EG33 Swap into '97 Outback

After recently losing the lower end in the built 2.5 that is in my '97 Outback, I have began to seriously consider an EG33 swap into it. I have done many different swaps on all models of Subarus over the years, so the technical skill level is there, just not sure what exactly needs to be changed out to get the H-6 to fire in my car. Have seen it done in an early Legacy (with a S/C also), so it seems like it can be done in a later Legacy.

Here are the Questions that need answers:

1. Have any of you done this swap before?
2. What wiring modifications will need to happen to get the engine to fire up?
3. Can an early EG33 (92-94) be fired with a later (OBD II) ECU, or do I need to go with 95 and newer intake, wiring & ECU ?
4. Can the p/s unit/rack off of the Outback be retained?
5. Does the crossmember need to be changed or can it be modified?
6. Is a Turbo Legacy tranny w/ 3:90s the best manual transmission for the EG33?

Just trying to get my ducks in a row before I get my car on the rack, hate suprises (and pushing) once the car is apart...

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-07-2002, 12:44 PM
Green1995SVX

Although I cant help with any of your questions, I would like to welcome you to the SVX Network. Good luck with your upcoming swap!!

Mike
Old 12-07-2002, 12:58 PM
Outback2.5HO

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Hopefully, someone out there can help with this project so I can have the baddest grocery getter on the block.
Old 12-07-2002, 01:00 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
It should bolt right up to your Outbacks Tranny, probably not to hard to swap in mechanicialy anyway, you should be able to retain your rack, but may have to use your PS pump (or a SVX-L pump)

I would think the 3.0 Outback wiring should almost be a direct fit to the 3.3 as they are very similar as far as sensors and such goes.

Would make a nice Outback!
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 12-07-2002, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Hey Outback welcome!

Nice to see you made it over to our neck of the woods. You should recognize my screen name from your nasoic thread.

I agree with Huck, stick with your trans/rear diff. You have the 4.11, right? If you're not comfortable with the RPM's then make a change. You've got a lot of other issues to worry about before the RPM range, though it looks like you've at least put some thought into it.

Todd
Old 12-07-2002, 05:24 PM
Outback2.5HO

Hey Todd,

I do recognize the screen name from the "other" forum...Nice to have some familar folks over here.

Have put in lots of thought into this, just figured while I was at it to swap the Turbo trans and rear diff at the same time... But I will miss my LSD in the rear. Yes, I do have a 4:11...

What trannies have the SVX guys been using on your 5 speed swaps?
Old 12-07-2002, 06:46 PM

I've got a 95 Impreza 5-speed gearbox with the 4:11’s behind my 3.3, had it in for over a year now with no problems.......But I'm pretty easy on it.

As for the RPM's, they won't be any higher with the 3.3 than they are with your 2.5, and the 3.3 has a higher redline......The SVX has a 9 grand tach.

The 4:11's would definitely give it some get up and go , and make it pull a small trailer better, if you pull anything, that is.

Keep us informed on the swap, as it might help on somebody's project one day....
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 12-08-2002, 10:49 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Wow, that would make one killer wagon. What happened to your old engine? I know a guy around here who did a EG33 into an outback when he dropped his wagon. Was very impressive, but i havnt seen the car for a couple years so i dont know(maybe 2)

sorry to steal your thread...just for aa sec though 2.5.......huck what have you been revving to? 7 right I never got a straight answer on weather or not the SVX has fuel cut since the AT tranny always shifted at 6,800? again, apologize for the OT

phil
Old 12-08-2002, 12:31 PM

With a 154k on my motor, I hardly ever take it over about 5200rpm, as I want it to last a long time, if I get the urge to go fast I hop on one of my bikes
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 12-08-2002, 12:33 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
ha.....im sitting at 171k right now....only i dont havny any bikes to jump on
phil
Old 12-08-2002, 03:03 PM
Outback2.5HO

On the 2.5, I haven't pulled the engine out, or taken it apart to see how bad the internal damage is yet...

Not really looking forward to it. The head gasksets are gone for sure (coolant everywhere, not a huge deal), but the temp guage pegged above hot within several seconds, the oil light came on (never before), and a rod knock started. The overflow tank was full, a common sign with the head gaskets blown. Pulled the dipstick, and it was covered in fresh metal shavings... Not good at all. I'm thinking the bearings are spun, maybe the heads/block cracked. Basically a toasted 2.5.

The engine had 110k on the lower end, and had been consuming some oil in the last couple of months. The engine was rebuilt about 25k ago, with the exception of the bearings, which felt fine. Of course, they should have been changed (hind sight is 20/20) at the same time. The engine was quite a runner for a 2.5, with all of the standard mods, and a list of others. Basically, it's a platform for all sorts of goodies for the 2.5 and the Outback. It has had some serious excursions in very remote places, and never let me down. When you build a powerplant for peak performance, you often sacrifice reliability. Guess that's the price you pay... It was fun while it lasted. I'll be building more 2.5s, just not for my car right now. It's a very strong powerplant for a four cylinder. If I kept it stock it would have run to 200k miles no problem. That's no fun though, that can be my wife's car.

But there can be performance and reliabilty, an H-6 with 230hp stock!!!

So who's the guy that's done the EG33 swap into the Outback? He's got the key to this puzzle.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:32 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to svxboy
eg33 swap

I know for sure Joel from JC sports did the eg33 swap into a legacy. Not exactly sure what year it was. But I will tell you this, he had to also swap the SVX struts and springs into the Legacy to handle the extra weight. I remember him telling me he had to re-drill the upper strut towers to fit the SVX mounts. I know the SVX struts bolt to a slightly thicker knuckle front and back. I am not sure if he used SVX knuckles or adapted the Legacy knuckels to fit the SVX struts. And then there is the sway bar mounts to consider. He did use the ECU that matched the engine. I dont know if he modified the crossmember, not sure about the rack either. I know he did use the turbo legacy tranny, primarily because it uses the pull type clutch(I think) It is the opposite of all other Subaru trannies. Has more pressure. hope this helps, Greg
92 Teal SVX LS, Superwhite headlamps and front turn signals, Premier DEX-P1R Deck, A/D/S P850 and Earthquake 200DHC amps, PG Bass Cube, 3-10 in. Diamond Audio subs, A/D/S 346is front components, and Vifa rear 6x9's. B&M tranny cooler and temp. gauge. Flowmaster custom dual exhaust, Tenzo-R conical intake filter, JC Sports torque chip, and a Mid-Height wing for an Integra that fits perfectly and stands 6.5 in. tall. ART front and rear cryo/slotted rotors, SS brake lines and EBC "Green Stuff" pads. My email address= fastestsvx@yahoo.com
Old 12-09-2002, 09:07 PM
AbdominalSnoman

O/T fuel cut out

I don't think that the engine has a fuel cut out because my tranny slipped once and the engine shot up to above 7,000. Also how does your tranny shift at 6800? Mine ALWAYS shifts at 6250 or there abouts. Whether or not the power light comes on.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:02 PM
Outback2.5HO

svxboy,

That helps a lot... The strut issue is food for thought. I have already upgraded my suspension with stiffer 2" Scorpion lift springs, which should help accomodate the extra weight (+-50lbs more than a 2.5). What you are saying about the engine/intake and ECU being out of the same year car confirm what I had suspected (and am trying to acquire). It makes the best sense for the ease of the swap. '96 is the year set up that would be ideal for this sitution.

You are right on about the turbo tranny, it is opposite of all of the other manual trannies and supposedly stronger as well. Seems like the best option. A 3:90 LSD from an XT6 could be used also (maybe). Not sure how that would hold up with all of that power though... Any part that is XT6 only worries me a bit.

Thanks again.
We're on a hot track.

Maybe soon my car can come off of the trailer.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:55 PM
Registered Abuser

Do you already have an EG33? I've got an extra if you don't.
94 Barcelona - FWD SOLD
92 Ebony - 3.90 SOLD
94 Laguna ROLLING w/4.44s/Ecutune ECU +TCU/STI springs/Infiniti M45 rims