SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2013, 10:48 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Kiss Me Deadly
Registered SVX
Can`t read power steering trouble codes

1995 US LSi, new steering rack, new power steering pump, new o-ring, no fluid leaks or fluid insufficiency

Steering error becomes after 1-1.5 hour driving, but i cant read a trouble code

What i`ve done:

-turned ignition off
-found black diag. terminal
-connected 1 blue wire to 5 (actually for 5 then 6 then 7) pin
-turned ignition on
-lamp doesnt flash in any case (1st blue wire to 5,6,7 pin, or 2nd blue wire to 5,6 or 7 pin)

I`ve tried to do the same sequence with started engine, but still nothing..
How to check trouble code correctly?
Thanks

Well, i finally read it. The code is 2 - Open in solenoid system circuit. I think thats sucks, because someone here said if its not a harness, its time to change steering rack because solenoid is in assembly with it

Last edited by Kiss Me Deadly; 02-12-2013 at 04:45 AM. Reason: im getting smart)
Old 02-13-2013, 06:20 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Can`t read power steering trouble codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss Me Deadly View Post
1995 US LSi, new steering rack, new power steering pump, new o-ring, no fluid leaks or fluid insufficiency

Steering error becomes after 1-1.5 hour driving, but i cant read a trouble code

What i`ve done:

-turned ignition off
-found black diag. terminal
-connected 1 blue wire to 5 (actually for 5 then 6 then 7) pin
-turned ignition on
-lamp doesnt flash in any case (1st blue wire to 5,6,7 pin, or 2nd blue wire to 5,6 or 7 pin)

I`ve tried to do the same sequence with started engine, but still nothing..
How to check trouble code correctly?
Thanks

Well, i finally read it. The code is 2 - Open in solenoid system circuit. I think thats sucks, because someone here said if its not a harness, its time to change steering rack because solenoid is in assembly with it
Well the code says that there is a problem either with the Control unit, the wiring to the solenoid ,or the solenoid itself.

Pull the plug off the solenoid with the ignition on, engine off, there should be 10V on the yellow/green wire. The solenoid's resistance, should measure 5 to 9 ohms.

The solenoid is a seperate unit from the rack as this shows.

Steering gear & linkage, Control valve
SVX, Electronic Type - Power
List Price : $662.64

As you say the light comes on with hard acceleration, I would look for a loose wire or plug, that is moving with the inertia.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:43 AM

Registered SVX

Thank you, Harvey! I`ll check it today
Old 02-14-2013, 04:44 AM

Registered SVX

Well, i`ve found something interesting. and stupid at the same time. I know previous owner had replaced steering rack with new. But its rpm-sensitive steering rack.. and there is INJECTOR instead of solenoid connected to the harness.. Its used as resistance for ECU to check "solenoid" i think.. Holy crap(

Does anybody know how to convert from vehicle speed sensitive to rpm sensitive?

Thanks again
Old 02-14-2013, 09:15 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Well, i`ve found something interesting. and stupid at the same time. I know previous owner had replaced steering rack with new. But its rpm-sensitive steering rack.. and there is INJECTOR instead of solenoid connected to the harness.. Its used as resistance for ECU to check "solenoid" i think.. Holy crap(

Does anybody know how to convert from vehicle speed sensitive to rpm sensitive?

Thanks again
Wow. I think you will need to get a speed sensitive rack if you want to convert to speed-sensitive. I would bet that the injector connected instead of the proper solenoid caused the trouble code. Is the injector just hanging by the harness or is it secured somehow? Try to take some pictures of it. Is the car RHD or LHD?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 02-14-2013, 09:51 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Wow. I think you will need to get a speed sensitive rack if you want to convert to speed-sensitive. I would bet that the injector connected instead of the proper solenoid caused the trouble code. Is the injector just hanging by the harness or is it secured somehow? Try to take some pictures of it. Is the car RHD or LHD?
Its LHD 1995 LSi
Injector just hanging by the harness, harness is clamped to O2 sensor harness if i remember rightly

Actually, now i need to know - whats the technical difference between speed-sens. and rpm-sens. racks? If the difference only in with or without solenoid and rpm-sens. rack has thread for solenoid, but with screw-plug in it, that case i can plug solenoid into it and make it speed-sens. isnt it? Because i have speed-sens control module, speed-sens harness etc its Lsi...
Old 02-14-2013, 10:29 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I think Harvey's statement "As you say the light comes on with hard acceleration, I would look for a loose wire or plug, that is moving with the inertia." is right. Probably the injector swinging around on the harness is causing a transient loss of continuity, causing the code.

I am not entire sure what the difference is, as I've only seen the speed-sensitive one. Try searching the forum, maybe it's been discussed in the past?

Since it's a LHD one, I'd imagine the worst-case scenario would be shipping a speed-sensitive rack from the US, since remanufactured ones are available for a reasonable price. But, like you said, if you can get just the solenoid, that would probably be cheaper, especially the shipping.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 02-14-2013, 10:59 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
I think Harvey's statement "As you say the light comes on with hard acceleration, I would look for a loose wire or plug, that is moving with the inertia." is right. Probably the injector swinging around on the harness is causing a transient loss of continuity, causing the code.

I am not entire sure what the difference is, as I've only seen the speed-sensitive one. Try searching the forum, maybe it's been discussed in the past?

Since it's a LHD one, I'd imagine the worst-case scenario would be shipping a speed-sensitive rack from the US, since remanufactured ones are available for a reasonable price. But, like you said, if you can get just the solenoid, that would probably be cheaper, especially the shipping.
Yeah, i think thats the reason of code too. But i dont wanna drive hybrid system) Now its hard to turn the steering wheel at low speeds anyway

i had searched the forum and found only threads like "how to convert", nothing special about techinal difference

i hope somebody can give me an answer here before i buy reman. rack
Old 02-14-2013, 03:55 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Its LHD 1995 LSi
Injector just hanging by the harness, harness is clamped to O2 sensor harness if i remember rightly

Actually, now i need to know - whats the technical difference between speed-sens. and rpm-sens. racks? If the difference only in with or without solenoid and rpm-sens. rack has thread for solenoid, but with screw-plug in it, that case i can plug solenoid into it and make it speed-sens. isnt it? Because i have speed-sens control module, speed-sens harness etc its Lsi...
I guess that "Injector" explains the code.
Don't know for sure, the parts book shows the rack with either control unit to use, so may be that you can just fit the speed solenoid, as the car was fitted with it.

Harvey.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:55 PM

Registered SVX

Hey - I think you've finally found an explanation for the 7th injector hanging under the car. It's plugged in to prevent a code with a rack w/o a solenoid .

It might be touching the exhaust just like Harvey suggested. Weird things happen.

Tapani
Old 02-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Its LHD 1995 LSi

The only difference between the two racks, is the electronic one has the solenoid fitted on the steering control valve. If the one that is there has the holes to fit the solenoid and the oil flow holes for it, it can be fitted.

The pump is different for the two, the pressure control valve is different. The RPM one has a three stage flow valve to control the pressure, as the rpm rises. The Elect. has a single stage valve as the solenoid is used to control the pressure.

As the previous owner fitted the rack and the pump, they are probably both for the RPM type.

Harvey.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:09 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
The only difference between the two racks, is the electronic one has the solenoid fitted on the steering control valve.

Harvey.
Where is the steering control valve? I'm having issues also and would like to check the solenoid connections etc.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:57 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

The control valve is at the end of the steering shaft, where it goes into the rack, has the oil pipes going into it. The solenoid is on the side of the unit.

Harvey.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:06 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Thanks very much.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:02 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
The only difference between the two racks, is the electronic one has the solenoid fitted on the steering control valve. If the one that is there has the holes to fit the solenoid and the oil flow holes for it, it can be fitted.

The pump is different for the two, the pressure control valve is different. The RPM one has a three stage flow valve to control the pressure, as the rpm rises. The Elect. has a single stage valve as the solenoid is used to control the pressure.

As the previous owner fitted the rack and the pump, they are probably both for the RPM type.

Harvey.
Well, firstly, i`ve solved the code problem - it was a poor connection on 7th injector Steering lamp doesnt become anymore)

The next bad news is sometimes its really hard to turn the steering wheel on low speeds. How to find out which one pressure control valve in the pump now? Is there any resistance difference between them or label?

Last edited by Kiss Me Deadly; 02-18-2013 at 03:15 AM.