IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Driveshaft: Any advantage to one vs. two piece?

I took my SVX for it's first good 6MT propelled highway drive today and came to the conclusion that my driveshaft is pooched. I actually have two, but they both had stiff spots in the u-joints. I installed the one that felt the least stiff, but seems to be little help.

I may install my other one as a stop-gap measure, but I'm looking into a new driveshaft. Can anyone see a reason why a one-piece with the center CV joint would be preferable to the 2-piece with a center u-joint (Or vice-versa)? I searched back to 2007 but found little by way of comparison other than one member saying the 2-piece was smoother at high speeds. There's next to no price difference ($6).

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 09-24-2012, 03:49 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Driveshaft: Any advantage to one vs. two piece?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
I took my SVX for it's first good 6MT propelled highway drive today and came to the conclusion that my driveshaft is pooched. I actually have two, but they both had stiff spots in the u-joints. I installed the one that felt the least stiff, but seems to be little help.

I may install my other one as a stop-gap measure, but I'm looking into a new driveshaft. Can anyone see a reason why a one-piece with the center CV joint would be preferable to the 2-piece with a center u-joint (Or vice-versa)? I searched back to 2007 but found little by way of comparison other than one member saying the 2-piece was smoother at high speeds. There's next to no price difference ($6).
How much is a new one anyway? I would go with the one piece CV type, just because you've got a 6mt already, so there's nothing to be gained in going with the 2-piece. If a 5-speed were a possible eventuality, then it might be a different story, because the 2-piece can be lengthened by a driveshaft shop. I have also heard that the CV type are noticeably smoother at high speeds.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 09-24-2012, 03:56 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Subaruparts.com shows them both at ~$500. Which is a fun kick in the balls, but consequences of not fixing it could be much worse.

I know that the joints are technically replaceable with enough persuasion. I changed the ones in my old 240SX myself and the exact same replacement units are called for in the SVX. On a $500 beater that was an acceptable repair, but it's not something I'll be doing to the SVX. The old joints were removed by torching them in half, which could cause substantial heating of the yokes and possible softening or embrittlement. The driveshaft also never balanced properly afterward, which is a common complaint I've seen among those who've replaced this kind of joint.

2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos

Old 09-24-2012, 05:48 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

IIRC, someone had a "1 piece" driveshaft made. It was painted bright green if that jars any memories. Might be worth it to follow up on 500 bones is quite pricey.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 09-24-2012, 05:53 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
IIRC, someone had a "1 piece" driveshaft made. It was painted bright green if that jars any memories. Might be worth it to follow up on 500 bones is quite pricey.
Gamesy: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55063
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 09-25-2012, 08:30 AM

Registered SVX

Just have the U joints replaced by a driveshaft shop. YT used to have them replaced when he had them lengthened for 5 spds just about everytime.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:53 AM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

A bit far away but, Colorado Drive Shaft (http://www.coloradodriveshaft.com/subaru.htm) will rebuild one for $275. I bought one from them for my Volvo.

Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 09-25-2012, 11:32 AM

Registered SVX

This looks like a perfect replacement, though at $999 not a cheap alternative.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2304526
Old 09-25-2012, 11:51 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Just have the U joints replaced by a driveshaft shop. YT used to have them replaced when he had them lengthened for 5 spds just about everytime.
I replaced the ones in my 240 (same P/N as SVX), but the shaft never balanced out right afterwards. I've heard the same story from other people. Without being very familiar with the shop and seeing their work on other cars I wouldn't be comfortable having it done for the SVX. A friend had his Outback's driveshaft rebuilt at a local shop, but it cost ~80% of what a new one would be. Plus the downtime when the car can't drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
This looks like a perfect replacement, though at $999 not a cheap alternative.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2304526
Mmmm, CF. Unfortunately they make no mention of custom lengths, plus the fact that my R180 rear diff has an R160 flange. Confusion city! I'm sure they could come up with something, but probably in the $1500 neighbourhood.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:48 PM

Registered SVX

From reading the thread you could probably get one fairly easy and not more expensive.
They have 6mt shaft for both 160 and 180 differential
Old 09-25-2012, 07:24 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
I replaced the ones in my 240 (same P/N as SVX), but the shaft never balanced out right afterwards. I've heard the same story from other people. Without being very familiar with the shop and seeing their work on other cars I wouldn't be comfortable having it done for the SVX. A friend had his Outback's driveshaft rebuilt at a local shop, but it cost ~80% of what a new one would be. Plus the downtime when the car can't drive.
I don't believe YT or anyone else has had issues with swapped driveshafts that were rebalanced. Perhaps you needed to take it somewhere else to get balanced
Old 09-25-2012, 08:46 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Har dee har har! I've still got to call Subaru and find out what one is worth up here in Canadaville. If it's ungodly expensive I'll rebuild one of mine, but if it's in the $500 neighbourhood I'll just get a new one.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:54 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

I got the one in Melissa's car repaired with 2 new greasable joints and balanced for $175 at a local shop. They work mostly on truck shafts, but had this done in 3 days and 2 of that was waiting for the parts.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Well I just ordered one from subarugenuineparts.com. The dealership here quoted me $830+tax for it.

I did find out some scary news though. According to Jamie at the website the driveshaft I ordered is the last one shown to be in Subaru's inventory. So for anyone else who may need one... Sorry!

Old 10-09-2012, 01:33 PM

Registered SVX

There are plenty of them in Japan, I needed one recently for my JDM Alcyone and there is no problem with supply at all.
I ended up buying a second hand/brand new never fitted one so didn't need to order one.

11/94 SVX Alcyone, Mica Black, VL Spec 4WS, 71K Miles, 1 owner from new & was part of a private car collection in Japan.

Nissan R34 Skyline Stagea

91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo

1966 MGB Roadster, Tarten Red, Wire Wheels, Leather, 23K miles from new

You can tell the men from the boys from the speed of their toys.