Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-26-2011, 12:25 PM

long term viability

Hi, long time lurker, 2nd time posting? I've got a 94 LSI, 160K miles. Power steering rack leaks slowly, engine leaks oil slowly, occasional rough idle, belt and water pump changed at 100K, radiator replaced 2 years ago, needs paint (at least hood, roof and spoiler). AC may just need charge (I'll know tomorrow), runs okay most of the time, but will kick out hot air briefly a couple of times in a half hour trip. Headlight lenses are yellowed (I know the answer to that one). Original exhaust, no known problems yet. No transmission issues that I'm aware of. It's my daily driver, not babied, not driven hard, just driven. What's the likelihood of keeping the car going without spending a ton of money? Am I likely to be able to find parts in 5 years? I'm considering a newer car, but if $10k would keep this car going I'd consider that a good investment. Additionally, anybody know anyone around St. Louis that is good with SVXs? I'd like any work I had done performed by someone who really knows the car. Thanks for any input.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:02 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Re: long term viability

Greetings from sunny (HA!) St. Charles

Well, the simple fact is that these cars are getting old. And yes, there is a limited supply of the parts that were unique to these cars. On the bright side though, there are plenty of dead cars being parted out pretty consistently, and the parts that are most likely to fail are probably shared with the Legacy or Impreza up to about 2001 or so. Even then wheel bearings (by far the worst failure point on the SVX) are easily available because they were used in a number of applications from Fuji Heavy Industries.

This is something that's concerned me too, but at the same time I really don't worry about it too much. I figure I'll drive it until I get tired of it, break it, or can no longer fix it... whichever comes first. Hell, I would've kept my last 96 except that I had my (now ex) wife pressuring me to get rid of it and get a sedan... "because it's practical".

As for someone to work on it... that's tough. Even when I had my green 96 I did pretty much all the work myself. That was with the help of another member here who was awesome for parts and help (pearlm30, who has moved out of the area unfortunately). I did find though that most independent shops were great for doing the work I couldn't because of lack of tools or whatever. If they have a passing familiarity with ANY Subaru, the SVX isn't that tough.

In truth, the SVX is actually one of the easiest cars to work on I've ever owned. That's why I keep coming back to the fold; because I can work on these things and they're logical. I just sold my BMW 545i, partly because I couldn't work on it and that annoyed me. I think so long as you have a reasonably mechanical mind, a garage and a set of ramps you're probably in good shape. Hell, worst case you can bring it on over to my place and we can take a look if something goes awry.

I have owned an SVX on and off for about 14 years. I know these cars, and to be honest I have never had a problem finding someone to work on it. Hell, I just had the rear seals on my transmission replaced and the exhaust gaskets all replaced by Lou Fusz Chrysler out on Highway K, at least in part because the guys in the shop thought it was cool and wanted to dig into it and check it out. Half of them are barely old enough to remember when the car went out of production, and were probably born at the same time the SVX was

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:20 PM

Re: long term viability

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_svx View Post
Hell, I would've kept my last 96 except that I had my (now ex) wife pressuring me to get rid of it and get a sedan... "because it's practical".
That certainly explains it! After that, the wife just "had to go"!!

Keith