Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > US Regional Forums > Northwest Region
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2011, 05:35 AM
Palm Springs of Washington
Alcyone Gold Contributor

paintless dent repair

has anyone tried this? My subie has a pushed in area on the passenger side rear quarter panel. Oddly, the 97 I picked up has a larger dent in the same area and the original owner said that they were quoted $500 to fix that spot.
I think we are going to buy an autobody suction cup and see if we can get the panel back in alignment....
otherwise, any suggestions (besides not letting your son's GF borrow the svx?)

Last edited by JENKIN; 01-10-2011 at 05:37 AM. Reason: typo or spell bad...
Old 01-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Re: paintless dent repair

JENKIN, I had a very talented paintless repair guy perform what I saw as a miracle on the rear quarter, just behind the door, of my previous SVX. Previous owner, my sis-in-law, had side-swiped a steel parking lot post while backing. He drilled a small hole in the rear of the door-jamb and worked his magic with his tools while I watched. After he finished massaging it out he popped a plug into the hole, and it was all good. A little polishing compound and wax, and it was nearly invisible.
It couldn't hurt to try your suction device, but you'll probably end up looking for a referral from a satisfied customer near you. Best of luck, and yes, GF's driving your SVX are always a gamble.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 01-11-2011, 06:14 PM

Smile Re: paintless dent repair

Hi guys,
I've used the services of the paintless dent repair guys. Fell asleep while driving my wifes new car and woke up just in time to avoid a direct impact with a tree, caught the rear quarter panel; however. There would have been no permanent damage after the professional care, if I wouldn't have attempted the repair with suction cups before calling for help.
But all is not lost. Check out body repair using canned air and a hair dryer. You can't cause more damage as you do no massaging, pushing, pulling or any other word that spells: more work for the next guy.
It's worth a try. If it doesn't work you are only out the cost of a can of air.
Let me know how it goes. I'm planning some "repairs" as soon as it warms up around here.
Unfortunately, GF's are not the only ones to watch for. SO's can be just as bad. Oh yeah, there is a demo for this procedure on Youtube.
Good Luck

Mark