Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-01-2010, 01:53 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Help!! I'm going to get hit by a semi truck!! Random stalling, stumbling idle

Quick update,

Car returned to me with free snap-on ratchet wedged between support rail and radiator and disconnected aux-air hose.

They replaced MAF. They claim no stalling now. I've driven it 5 miles since so I don't know yet.

They suggested that the 4-pronged Bosch Iridium/Platinum plugs could be f-ing things up so they wanted $400+ dollars to change them. So, I picked up the car and went to autozone, swapped out the plugs with basic NGK single-prong platinums in about 45 minutes. (Also bought super basic NGK copper plugs to try later.)

Still missing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Still misses up to 4000rpm.

Just a quick check on the IRIS check valve...Should you be able to blow into the manifold or suck from the manifold??

Found the wire from the ECU to install the 87 octane map switch last night as the car has tune version 1.5. May try to make the switch and try out the car in that mode (still running 93 octane gas and vice versa.)

Thanks

1995 SVX-L AWD, green, 98,xxx miles, ECUtune 1.5, mazda RX-8 wheels with subie center caps, stebro muffler, resonator delete, koni inserts, perrin crank pulley, hella 500 off-road lights, power-slot rotors and .....
1993 968 Coupe 6-speed, 80,xxx miles black, H&R springs
Old 04-02-2010, 04:50 PM

Re: Help!! I'm going to get hit by a semi truck!! Random stalling, stumbling idle

Hey Mac,
As far as I know and hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong but I believe the check valve should allow air into the manifold but not back out from the manifold (I look at it as INtake manifold) so hopefully one of the guru's will verify.

If a dealer tried to charge $400 for plug change I would probably look for a different dealer. Hopefully your stalling issue is corrected.

Most people recommend the the NGK plugs over any of the Bosch. Supposedly the car responds better.

When you say it misses at 4000rpm could you describe it a little more? I wonder if it is a lag in shifting of the tranny or something.

Sounds like your wallet has been getting hit hard over this issue so hoping your luck changes for the better.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:19 PM

Registered SVX

Hi all,

Just a quick update. The new MAF seems to have corrected the stalling issue. The engine is still missing, however. Have tried moving new coil to positions 1, 3, 5, and 2. Still have 4 and 6 to try (what a royal PITA removing the battery each time on the driver side.) No luck yet.

Still plan to pull cats to see if they are are still intact and not plugged,etc.

Thanks,

1995 SVX-L AWD, green, 98,xxx miles, ECUtune 1.5, mazda RX-8 wheels with subie center caps, stebro muffler, resonator delete, koni inserts, perrin crank pulley, hella 500 off-road lights, power-slot rotors and .....
Old 04-19-2010, 07:41 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX

I've read this entire thread from start to finish. I've had similar issues with 3 of my SVX's. On two, it was timing. One had timing off by a few teeth ...EEK! The other had timing off by one tooth... and it caused the car to run like crap (one cyclinder not firing).

Two questions / two cents.
When you checked the timing, how did you check it? Did you verify both cam marks aligned exactly with the mark on the back of the cover and the crank was pointing exactly at 12? Not trying to say your check was not adequate, just want to make sure. My experience is that most shops cannot time a subaru to save their life!!!

Another issue could be two or more bad coils. I did not figure this out until I started swapping two coils out at a time...I went months trying to diagnose a skip/shutter and it was two bad coils. But then my problem was more variable misses, not a constant misfire that bad timing can cause.

Neither could be your issue but you've just gone through so much! I'd like to see you figure this out rather then leave it to the Subaru dealer and a 50/50 shot that you will get a good tech!

Last edited by svxcuseme; 04-19-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:26 PM

Registered SVX

Had no luck moving the new coil around from hole to hole, so I guess I'll just replace the other five and be done with that. Car sounds like it's driving underwater. Rough idle still present with occasional buck/jerk. Has remained reliable though. No stalling yet. Found coil prices from $80-120. Is that about the going rate or does someone sell them for less?

When I checked timing before I did not dig deep enough to inspect the crank alignment mark behind the cover. Because I have a perrin crank pulley, I was unable to find a mark on it to index. I checked both camshaft alignment marks with a short alum. right angle and they seemed right on. Could check again to see if either has jumped, but without getting inside for the crank this seems pointless. Is there an easy way to get into that center cover?

Weird thought.... What would happen if I were to have mistakenly switched the two crank sensor wires. They are both black and white leads. Could it cause the car to act weird? What would happen if I switched them to try?? Anything bad? Or does the ECU not care which one is where?

Thanks.

Last edited by macadamianut; 04-26-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

far as I know, the position of the wire doesn't matter in the sensor. Either way one will power one side of the coil and the other will read its pickup.

I thought you had done this already but here's trying... Pull the cam pullies off and check that they are not worn out at the keyway causing the cam pulley to be in position but the actual cam to be out

Tom
Old 05-10-2010, 01:27 PM

Registered SVX

Ooooohhh! I got a new trouble code today.

37 (LH O2 Sensor.)

Problem is: I don't know if this is the cause of the poor running condition, or the effect of the poor running condition. What do you guys think? Could this cause a poor running condition by itself?? Or is this sensor just trashed because of the bad burn in 2,4, and 6? Can this indicate a plugged/burnt cat problem? I know the sensor is before but thought to ask anyway.

I have ordered a new OE type Bosch sensor, should be here tomorrow.

Still waiting for complete set of new coils to arrive from Subaruparts.com. Ordered some new pulleys as well and plan to thoroughly check timing and cam key ways when the parts arrive.

Will have a whole new car soon at this rate.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:34 AM

Registered SVX

bump?..........

Old 05-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadamianut View Post
Ooooohhh! I got a new trouble code today.

37 (LH O2 Sensor.)

Problem is: I don't know if this is the cause of the poor running condition, or the effect of the poor running condition. What do you guys think? Could this cause a poor running condition by itself?? Or is this sensor just trashed because of the bad burn in 2,4, and 6? Can this indicate a plugged/burnt cat problem? I know the sensor is before but thought to ask anyway.

I have ordered a new OE type Bosch sensor, should be here tomorrow.

Still waiting for complete set of new coils to arrive from Subaruparts.com. Ordered some new pulleys as well and plan to thoroughly check timing and cam key ways when the parts arrive.

Will have a whole new car soon at this rate.
I don't think the O2 sensor will cause the problem. I believe it is just reporting a reading, that is not normal, from that side.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Maniac modifier

brings us back to a potential cam issue... I know you are waiting to inspect them just keeping on tabs

Tom
Old 05-11-2010, 05:53 PM

I'm experiencing a similiar problem in my 92. It stalls at speed (or at idle) and immediately restarts. Did it on the freeway yesterday at 70 mph in heavy traffic. Idles just fine. HELP!
Old 05-17-2010, 04:13 PM

Registered SVX

Well....

I can rule out coils as I have replaced them all. Also replaced gaskets on the TB, by-pass air, and auxiliary air valve.

Car is popping loudly on decel (1st gear run to 5000rpm and close throttle). I bet I would see flames out the tailpipes at night. So am I too lean on decel or too rich and igniting unspent gases in the exhaust?

Could not get the crank pulley bolt loose this weekend so no proper timing check yet.

Found a local source to flow test and rebuild injectors, so I was thinking this would be a logical next step as Techron/etc. doesn't seem to do anything.

Exposed cam key-ways seemed okay? I'm not sure what I'm looking for here, but I did put a wrench on the cam bolts to see if there was any play.

A very weird thing is happening. If I snap the throttle open very quickly at the TB, I can feel a puff of air come out of the bolted seal between the MAF and airbox lid. I thought it was supposed to try to take IN as much air as it could get, not push some out???? What the heck??

Thinking of cutting out pre-cats to see what condition they are in now.

Thanks.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Maniac modifier

I still think it is a cam timing issue. You have to take the cam pulleys off to see the key and keyways. The fact that it is backfiring when you rev it and when you decel is confirming my suspicions. Try dropping the front pipes off right at the manifolds and see if the symptoms are still there even when just reving in neutral

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadamianut View Post
Well....

I can rule out coils as I have replaced them all. Also replaced gaskets on the TB, by-pass air, and auxiliary air valve.

Car is popping loudly on decel (1st gear run to 5000rpm and close throttle). I bet I would see flames out the tailpipes at night. So am I too lean on decel or too rich and igniting unspent gases in the exhaust?

Could not get the crank pulley bolt loose this weekend so no proper timing check yet.

Found a local source to flow test and rebuild injectors, so I was thinking this would be a logical next step as Techron/etc. doesn't seem to do anything.

Exposed cam key-ways seemed okay? I'm not sure what I'm looking for here, but I did put a wrench on the cam bolts to see if there was any play.

A very weird thing is happening. If I snap the throttle open very quickly at the TB, I can feel a puff of air come out of the bolted seal between the MAF and airbox lid. I thought it was supposed to try to take IN as much air as it could get, not push some out???? What the heck??

Thinking of cutting out pre-cats to see what condition they are in now.

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:51 PM

Registered SVX

+1 for cam timing problem.

I believe tom has a trick to block the flexplate and torque converter with a proper sized flat head screwdriver...any tips tom?

The other way that is a bit more work and definately dirtier is to block the crank with a piece of hard plastic (make sure no plastic breaks off and is left in the block). You can do this by dropping the oil pan and using the handle of a screwdriver or similar material to block the movement of the crank. VOILA! crank pulley problem solved. Its just a bit of work to get to the crank and you have to silicone the pan back on and let it set up overnight.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 05-17-2010, 04:53 PM

Registered SVX

Thanks Tom,

Will be soaking the bolt in PB blaster all week in hopes of getting it loose. What is the accepted method of holding the pulley while wrenching? I tried a socket extension and a screwdriver through one of the holes to hold but am scared to bend/break the aluminum Perrin pulley. Both cam sprockets are indexed correctly, so if the crank is off by one or more teeth can this cause all of these problems???

Thanks.