Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-22-2009, 12:53 PM

Road Trip back home HELP! Tuneup tips plz

Ok T-minus about 3-4 weeks till I decided to drive my SVX back from Ft.Myers FL to Appleton WI. So I should do a tune up which I never have since I bought my subie. After Scouring the forums I found I should get the double plats or iridium plus. Which one works good on a "higher" mileage one? its the pfr6b-11 or ifr6e-11. Going to put a K&N also in her. She didn't like the mountains last time I drove her down from WI. Did a good 20+hours of straight driving and she was ok. Only thing I am worried about is the darn gas gauge now, its 1/2 dead just hoping its a contacts issue(not sure if my fuel light kicks on) all the bulbs work, I tested every single one last year when I had it out of the car because to major lights were burnt out.
Any input for my road trip back home would be AWESOME!
Darrell
Old 12-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Road Trip back home HELP! Tuneup tips plz

The mileage won't matter for what spark plugs you choose (at least it honestly shouldn't). I would advise against the K&N if it is one that is reusable and has oil in the filter as the oil is "sucked" into the intake and coats the MAF causing the ECU to get incorrect airflow readings.

The low gas light does not operate in the same fashion as the guage and so the light should come on as normal. If you are too concerned, in the next couple weeks see if you can fill up your tank, drive as much freeway driving as possible. Drive for about 100-150 miles on that tank and then refil it. Make sure you use the trip and when you refil it, check your gas mileage (miles divided by gallons) and this will tell you what your mileage is. This in turn you can use to figure out about how many miles you can go before your gas tank would be low. (about 18 gallon tank)
Old 12-22-2009, 07:28 PM

Re: Road Trip back home HELP! Tuneup tips plz

Thanks for the input. Least now I will get my plugs on order, and I didnt know that about the K&N, I usually use them with great results ie my yamaha bike and my Brat(both carbs) and my DMC still runs rich though. I will try to let my subie run damn low on gas this week, i know my milage around town, and fill up around the 250 mark, and i still have 6-8 gallons left depending on hard I drive her. Just never got that low so I dont know if the light works or not. Just have to have that spare 5gal just incase
Thanks again prob not goin to sell her, but she still is on the market for about 3-4k with some jdm goodness
Darrell