Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-27-2012, 10:29 PM

A/c functions

I'm pondering losing my a/c system. I never use it and I have no interest in hunting down a Robinair or whatever and recharging it. The only thing holding me back is the fact that I'm not sure about the climate control module/control buttons - will the heat still work without the a/c system? Might be a fairly obvious question, seeing as how pretty much ALL cars can run heat without the a/c system, but the SVX push-button interface is weird and I intend to use the car through the winter. If anyone can clear this up for me, it would be much appreciated. THanks!
Old 09-28-2012, 04:34 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: A/c functions

Yes, my blue car has been completely without the whole A/C system (the only thing left is the condenser core) for almost 2 years now, and the heater still works. In "auto mode" or "vent mode", with the temp set to to cool, the fans will come on, to at least blow some air.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 09-28-2012, 05:13 AM

Registered SVX

Well now there is a way our cars are different. No air in Fla? I lost my A/C in May up here and almost died driving it. Cost me $99.00 to fix it.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:05 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

The A/C also turns on when defrost is selected to remove moisture from the air which is worth considering in a damp climate like Washington.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:48 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
Well now there is a way our cars are different. No air in Fla? I lost my A/C in May up here and almost died driving it. Cost me $99.00 to fix it.
A/C = maybe 50 lbs of a complicated mess I don't need. Keeps the engine bay clearer, and simpler, and makes it way easier to get to a lot of stuff. Actually, I've cleared out a ton of stuff from the engine bay (one of these days I gotta post pics of what I did with the wiper fluid reservoir :P). The A/C I miss only when driving on really hot days in the summer, the rest of the time it's fine. And on those days I just drive the 97, which does have A/C.

Actually, the only thing I really miss about the A/C is when driving the rain. Windows gotta be up, because rain, so no airflow, and no A/C to dehumidify the air on the way through the vents.

But, again, that's why I have the 2 cars.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 09-30-2012, 05:34 PM

Yeah, I was a little worried about the defrost too...
Thing is, I don't think the system is working properly to begin with so maybe I'll just pull it and hope for the best. The major plus in deleting it is to make space for a tranny cooler. I installed one in my girlfriend's svx, but it was a pain and I NEVER want to have to get it back out. Much easier without the a/c condenser in the way.