Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-29-2011, 08:57 PM

I think i lost a high clutch?

Driving home from work tonight and stopped at hardees, and as I was waiting at the window, white smoke came from under the car on the right side. Thinking it was an on going oil leak from old seals, dripping onto the exhaust, I pulled out from hardees, and pulled my normal acceleration 1st to 2nd and into third, but it would not slide into 4th above 45mph. It revved and was only drivable up to 45. Could it be a high clutch at 3-4 is toast? the tranny is original from what I gather from the 1st owners docs.

Any thoughts as to If I am correct in my assumption or could something else be the cause (tps,etc)

I was actually expecting something to happen shortly, after driving it everyday and feeling it.

thanks in advance for any info on this.

Best regards,

DM
1260000 miles
Old 07-30-2011, 12:22 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: I think i lost a high clutch?

There is a transmission fluid line that runs over the exhaust, it might have sprung a leak, sprayed fluid on your exhaust, causing the smoke, and then the lost fluid is causing your transmission problems.

Now, this part is important: If it's slipping, stop driving it, otherwise the slipping itself will cause damage to the transmission. Figure out what's wrong.

First, check the trans fluid level. If it's low, that's probably what caused your issues. The trans fluid lines run underneath the car, near the bottom, but over the exhaust on the drivers side, to a hard line that's attached to the bottom of the engine, then to the radiator, and back. The hard line and the rubber line over the exhaust are suspect. First check the fluid level, then check for leaks, especially in the line I mentioned.

Based on what you said about the smoke, I'd bet that's what's causing your problems. Slipping will cause transmission failure quickly, because of the particles that are released into the fluid when the parts rub together, they clog passages and whatnot in the transmission. If you do end up finding a fixable trans problem, then I'd be very sure to drain the fluid and replace it with some fresh synthetic fluid after it's fixed.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 07-30-2011, 06:19 AM

Registered SVX

Ditto : When I only lost 1/2 a qt of fluid I could feel the tranny shift funny. The white smoke sounds like the above explanation is on the money.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:29 AM

Thanks for the quick responses, guys. I will check those items before I head to work today (gf taking me :P )

update in a bit.

DM